Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

New Mods - Boss Diffuser, Boss H-pipe & Axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/12, 10:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluehazeGT
Thanks. I picked up the hardware at a local dealer. Looks like all the same fasteners and clips.

I'll be sure to tell my wife that doing all the cutting and bringing the bumper cover into the family room
is just part of doing things properly.
LOL, if you do it enough like me, she'll just get used to it. My wife is not surprised anymore when she sees me doing stuff like this, and just considers it normal, at least normal for our family.
Old 12/15/12, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by SoFlaBoss
... Below are notes and photos of everything done....
Hi and thanks a lot for the guide. Looking to get the same diffuser soon. Is there anything special about removing the bumper cover? You didn't give any details except that you did remove the taillights, is that required for access?

Thanks.

Last edited by GTTK; 12/15/12 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12/15/12, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Smile

I got the diffuser from Village Ford, Dearborn ,Mi. , always a good source for factory parts. Fast too! It came complete with all the necessary clips, screws,etc. Just have to round up a saw and get to it.
Old 12/15/12, 08:35 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by GTTK
Hi and thanks a lot for the guide. Looking to get the same diffuser soon. Is there anything special about removing the bumper cover? You didn't give any details except that you did remove the taillights, is that required for access?

Thanks.
Yes, you remove the tail lights to safetly remove & reinstall the bumper cover. You'll need to remove or at least loosen the piece of plastic trim just inside the trunk to access everything on the inside. Each tail light assembly has just 3 nuts on the inside holding it on, plus an electrical connection that you just disconnect. Just be careful and don't over tighten them. I always just use a deepwell socket by hand on these nuts, no rachet. There's another connector to disconnect for the electrical harness of the bumper cover, that is inside the trunk 8-10" to the right of dead center. To remove the bumper cover, you should first remove the rear wheels so you can remove the screws that hold on the splash guards, then remove the two hex head screws at the bottom of each side, then remove the two white clips that secure the bumper cover at the bottom center area. Now you just have to pull the cover off by hand, but make sure you first lay down something like a bedsheet or blanket on the ground, so the cover doesn't get scratched. First pull the ends away, starting where the splash guards used to be. Once both ends are pulled free, then begin pulling and unsnapping the cover below where the tail lights were. I did all this myself, but a 2nd person helping to hold on to the bumper cover its removal and reinstall could be helpful. Removing and reinstalling the cover is the easiest part. Just really take your time cutting/trimming the bumper cover. You could always apply some painter's tape over the painted areas where you are cutting to be safe. It's a lot of work, but very much worth it! Good luck!

Last edited by SoFlaBoss; 12/20/12 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12/15/12, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I picked up my car Tuesday. Installed my 3dcarbon spoiler and painted the chrome grille surround last night. Might try to get the diffuser installed tomorrow unless my social planner has other ideas. Nervous about cutting up that fresh bumper cover.
Old 12/15/12, 09:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BB3
Your car is absolutely amazing SoFlaBoss. I love it that's for sure.

Thank you for sharing.-------Bill
Thanks and you're welcome, Bill! Glad you like!

BTW, I (and I'm sure many others on TMS) truly appreciate your responses, as they are always very thoughtful. Happy Holidays, Bill!
Old 12/15/12, 09:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

I picked up my car Tuesday. Installed my 3dcarbon spoiler and painted the chrome grille surround last night. Might try to get the diffuser installed tomorrow unless my social planner has other ideas. Nervous about cutting up that fresh bumper cover.
Congrats on recently taking delivery on your new Pony! Sounds like you're not wasting any time getting those new mods installed, like me. I bet it looks much better with that chrome ring blackened out and no fogs. Please be sure to post some "after" photos, if you haven't already.
Old 12/15/12, 09:47 AM

Yes, you remove the tail lights to safetly remove & reinstall the bumper cover. You'll need to remove or at least loosen the piece of plastic trim just inside the trunk to access everything on the inside. Each tail light assembly has just 3 nuts on the inside holding it on, plus an electrical connection that you just disconnect. Just be careful and don't over tighten them. I always just use a deepwell socket by hand on these nuts, no rachet. There's another connector to disconnect for the electrical harness of the bumper cover, that inside the trunk 8-10" to the right of dead center. To remove the bumper cover, you should first remove the rear wheels so you can remove the screws that hold on the splash guards, then remove the two hex head screws at the bottom of each side, then remove the two white clips that secure the bumper cover at the bottom center area. Now you just have to pull the cover off by hand, but make sure you first lay down something like a bedsheet or blanket on the ground, so the cover doesn't get scratched. First pull the ends away, starting where the splash guards used to be. Once both ends are pulled free, then begin pulling and unsnapping the cover below where the tail lights were. I did all this myself, but a 2nd person helping to hold on to the bumper cover its removal and reinstall could be helpful. Removing and reinstalling the cover is the easiest part. Just really take your time cutting/trimming the bumper cover. You could always apply some painter's tape over the painted areas where you are cutting to be safe. It's a lot of work, but very much worth it! Good luck!

Thanks, I once replaced an engine over a weekend with nobody around to give a hand so I'm not scared of a bumper cover; just wanted to make sure I don't break any tabs or anything cause I got careless... done that too many times but this is my first brand new car and I really don't want to ghetto it up
Old 12/15/12, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats on recently taking delivery on your new Pony! Sounds like you're not wasting any time getting those new mods installed, like me. I bet it looks much better with that chrome ring blackened out and no fogs. Please be sure to post some "after" photos, if you haven't already.
Thanks SoFlaboss, I installed the hood struts within 15 minutes of getting home as well as the Steeda white shift ball. I will try to get more posted later. But a few quick ones of the latest installs. will post up more once I get a chance to get the diffuser on.
Attached Thumbnails New Mods - Boss Diffuser, Boss H-pipe & Axle-back-p1010723-mod.jpg   New Mods - Boss Diffuser, Boss H-pipe & Axle-back-p1010727-mod.jpg   New Mods - Boss Diffuser, Boss H-pipe & Axle-back-p1010739-mod.jpg  

Last edited by BluehazeGT; 12/15/12 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12/15/12, 02:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks SoFlaboss, I installed the hood struts within 15 minutes of getting home as well as the Steeda white shift ball. I will try to get more posted later. But a few quick ones of the latest installs. will post up more once I get a chance to get the diffuser on.

Wow, looks awesome! Love grabber blue, which also happen's to be the color of my wife's 2011 V6 MCA too. The blackened grille surround without fogs and the darkened glass roof gives your pony a mean look. That new Boss diffuser will definitely compliment and balance out the other black components on the rear, including the painted black gurney flap on your new spoiler.
Old 12/15/12, 02:12 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks and you're welcome, Bill! Glad you like!

BTW, I (and I'm sure many others on TMS) truly appreciate your responses, as they are always very thoughtful. Happy Holidays, Bill!
Well......thank you Sir for your kind response. That is very much appreciated.

My to you and yours for the holidays and beyond.------Bill
Old 12/16/12, 04:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Excellent job and thanks for the pic's. GHIG is poppin'
Old 12/20/12, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, looks awesome! Love grabber blue, which also happen's to be the color of my wife's 2011 V6 MCA too. The blackened grille surround without fogs and the darkened glass roof gives your pony a mean look. That new Boss diffuser will definitely compliment and balance out the other black components on the rear, including the painted black gurney flap on your new spoiler.
Thanks for the compliments.

Finally got around to putting my diffuser on and finishing up. Your instructions were perfect. Unlike you I decided to modify mine in the garage. LOL
I decided to put my GT500 AB\s on while I had the bumper cover off, so another thing off the list.
A couple of crappy cell phone pics. It's all I can do right now since its dark when I leave and when I get home again... man I'm jealous of you guys that have perfect weather and sun all year round.
Attached Thumbnails New Mods - Boss Diffuser, Boss H-pipe & Axle-back-2012-12-18-22.34.34-mod.jpg   New Mods - Boss Diffuser, Boss H-pipe & Axle-back-painted_gt500_ab.jpg   New Mods - Boss Diffuser, Boss H-pipe & Axle-back-2012-12-18-06.43.55-mod.jpg   New Mods - Boss Diffuser, Boss H-pipe & Axle-back-2012-12-18-06.44.40-mod.jpg  
Old 12/20/12, 02:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the compliments.

Finally got around to putting my diffuser on and finishing up. Your instructions were perfect. Unlike you I decided to modify mine in the garage. LOL
I decided to put my GT500 AB\s on while I had the bumper cover off, so another thing off the list.
A couple of crappy cell phone pics. It's all I can do right now since its dark when I leave and when I get home again... man I'm jealous of you guys that have perfect weather and sun all year round.
LOL, I don't have a spacious garage like you! Anyways, great job! I installed my new exhaust while the cover was off too, making it much easier to manhandle those mufflers, so I was only left with adjusting and tightening after putting the bumper cover back on. Can't wait to see some better photos, when weather permits. I bet your wife thought you were crazy when she saw your new pony in pieces and you cutting things up, LOL.

Last edited by SoFlaBoss; 12/20/12 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12/20/12, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Haha I intentionally left it all ripped apart for her to see in the morning. When she called me at work she had that wtf tone in her voice. I told her the minor mod just turned into something more major. LOL. Gotta keep it real in case the heavy mod bug kicks in.
Cheers
Old 12/22/12, 05:58 PM

Can you please take some pics of the rear with the diffuser and GT500s installed, I'm curious how they look as the diffuser sticks out a little but the GT500s are pretty flush with the stock bumper?...
Old 12/23/12, 01:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey GTTK, I"ll post some pics when i get home next week. If i remember correctly they were almost flush with the diffuser but will confirm when i get a chance.

Edit: i just had a look at the video rce eatr posted on his gt500's. As you can see in his video they fit pretty much flush with the valance. Hope this helps.
https://themustangsource.com/f800/new-exhaust-setup-my-2013-gt-jba-offroad-xpipe-gt500-axle-back-love-517010/

Last edited by BluehazeGT; 12/28/12 at 12:09 AM.
Old 6/8/13, 11:05 PM

Already changed exhaust....

This project seems like it is next on my to do list and honestly I did not think it was possible to change anything on the back number so I had already changed my exhaust. I was wondering if hte outlet of the diffuser is different is size or is off in anyway from the factory bumper because of the fact I have already changed the exhaust and want to make sure it will fit and be on center... Anyone know the answer?
Old 6/8/13, 11:06 PM

Already changed exhaust....

This project seems like it is next on my to do list and honestly I did not think it was possible to change anything on the back number so I had already changed my exhaust. I was wondering if hte outlet of the diffuser is different is size or is off in anyway from the factory bumper because of the fact I have already changed the exhaust and want to make sure it will fit and be on center... Anyone know the answer?
Old 6/9/13, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Your plates are BA! People who are unfamiliar with stangs are probably standing around saying "red key?" What? Lol haha. Awesome, awesome!

Quick Reply: New Mods - Boss Diffuser, Boss H-pipe & Axle-back