'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Maybe its just me but why do this?

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/13, 05:29 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner

disagree there.. if its not functional then its just for looks, cheap looks, because there usually IS a functional option, but people will get the plastic parts cause its cheaper. and if its just cheap looks, then its the same principle as ricing out the car.. or plastic dip. if ANYTHING, fake plastic parts whether professionally painted or not, are way more ricer than plastic dip. when you go to get stuff painted, even then theres different paint options available, so plastic dips could be the cheapo option. who knows plastic dip maybe even look good if done well. Personally I don't like it though

for example there's fake hood scoops.. cheap version of just buying a real hood with the functional heat extractors. personally I like the look of the side scoops for example, but when I saw they were just basically plastic parts glued to the side, I didn't get them cause I thought it was cheap. maybe from a distance it looks good, but up close its pretty lame IMO. don't see how one could bash plastic dip(which I agree is lame/cheap), and yet be okay with plastic parts. you said its not about it being functional its about it being tasteful... if that's the case then, it really is according to what a person likes. maybe for you its not tasteful and looks cheap(for me too), but for others maybe they like it and it looks like quality stuff(you can't dispute this because you just said about how tastefully it is done/looks, which comes down to opinion not actual quality work done. even with quality work its debatable.. it could be quality work, and still look like crap to one guy and awesome to another. like plastic parts...). seemingly for you nonfunctional plastic parts is tasteful, for me its lame/cheap.

I don't like how the car in the OP ended up looking, especially knowing its plastic dip, and that it was a GT500
but its not my car, so if the guys happy with it, eh, its his car not mine
It is not about whether it is plastic or sheet metal or whatever you wanna make it out of. Hell there is so much plastic on EVERY make and model of car factory. It is plastic dip has a horrible texture and starts to peel and crack. Most people use it to paint emblems etc. I myself have even used it on my 07 GT. I even plastic dipped my wheels. Bad idea. It is a **** product and doesnt hold up as well as most think. I swore I would never use it again and obviously I havent on my 13. You cant really argue "functional" vs "nonfunctional" window louvers because they are purely cosmetic. It isnt like someone can go buy functional window louvers. Just as plastic dip is cosmetic..but the plastic parts made by A.M. or whoever will hold up a hell of a lot longer than plastic dipped factory parts. Yea your parts will still be there but you will dip and re-dip. And last but not least ALL of our cars are about what we ourselves like and what we think is tastefully done. IMO plastic dip will NEVER be ok.
Old 8/28/13, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by toxxxic13
It is not about whether it is plastic or sheet metal or whatever you wanna make it out of. Hell there is so much plastic on EVERY make and model of car factory. It is plastic dip has a horrible texture and starts to peel and crack. Most people use it to paint emblems etc. I myself have even used it on my 07 GT. I even plastic dipped my wheels. Bad idea. It is a **** product and doesnt hold up as well as most think. I swore I would never use it again and obviously I havent on my 13. You cant really argue "functional" vs "nonfunctional" window louvers because they are purely cosmetic. It isnt like someone can go buy functional window louvers. Just as plastic dip is cosmetic..but the plastic parts made by A.M. or whoever will hold up a hell of a lot longer than plastic dipped factory parts. Yea your parts will still be there but you will dip and re-dip. And last but not least ALL of our cars are about what we ourselves like and what we think is tastefully done. IMO plastic dip will NEVER be ok.
I agree about plastic dip.. whats it even for anyway? like whats its original purpose? never heard of it till I got into mustangs
Old 8/28/13, 05:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugh, plasti dip. 99% of the people here plasti dip it seems like. I think 1 or 2 pics I've seen from people here did a great job, the rest look like crap. Ill send some tissues for any offense I've caused.
Old 8/28/13, 06:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Love the color, hate that it is plastidip.

I don't like it ,because personally I like to have things permanent, not temporary or something that can come off or waste away.
Old 8/28/13, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Looks like a Mustang version of the Adobe (the little car that's made out of clay).

Last edited by PonyOx; 8/28/13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 8/28/13, 07:03 PM
V6 Member

If you plati-dip your mustang and then peel off the plasti-dip and reassemble it with 4 wheels, does that mean you have 2 Mustangs???

But seriously, I have seen some tasteful things in plasti-dip, but the whole car is way too much IMO. Why not just paint the car with matte orange paint instead? I'm willing to bet that would look a **** ton better.
Old 8/28/13, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I love when these threads pop up
Old 8/28/13, 09:28 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, for the whole body I'd do it right and get a wrap.

I plastidipped my 5.0 badges and front pony and I'm in the agreement that no matter how good a job you do, it looks cheap when you look at it closely.
Old 8/28/13, 11:05 PM
GT Member

Wow the hatred is strong in this thread.
Plastidip= $500
Wrap = $3000-$4500
Paint = $6k - $10k+
If someone wanted to "see" if they liked the color or new it was just for fun and wasn't going to keep it that color, why spend the extra money?
Old 8/28/13, 11:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wraps look good, plasti dip looks like garbage.

/thread
Old 8/29/13, 01:13 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by racksteris
My buddy just did his mustang camo green plastic dip with gloss black roof/wing and a few other parts gloss black which is the color of the car, it came out really well,, people can hate on it but his car will have over 1000RWHP,,
The 1000 hp is a good idea, that way he can get home really fast before anyone sees how ****ty it looks platidipped.

Originally Posted by XEDES
Wow the hatred is strong in this thread.
Plastidip= $500
Wrap = $3000-$4500
Paint = $6k - $10k+
If someone wanted to "see" if they liked the color or new it was just for fun and wasn't going to keep it that color, why spend the extra money?
Or they could just photoshop a picture of it.
Old 8/29/13, 01:35 AM
GT Member

^^ true about PS.
Old 8/29/13, 06:23 AM

I agree about plastic dip.. whats it even for anyway? like whats its original purpose? never heard of it till I got into mustangs
Correct me if im Wrong but isnt Plasti-Dip originally made for giving tools a grip? for example your wrenches or hammer? Now they have many uses for it, ie liquid electrical tape, just covering anything in plastic... and anything else u can imagine
Old 8/29/13, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Name:  DSC_2006_zps7cb5eb11.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  272.7 KB
Name:  DSC_2307_zpsd4481d31.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  358.2 KB
Name:  DSC_2206_zps3da0bf6d.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  359.9 KB
Name:  Rightside_zpseb46df8a.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  598.7 KB

i would love to do something like this for 500 - 600$ n be peelable to come back to stock after i get bored by it... i like the new metallic dip stuff that is coming out...
Old 8/29/13, 09:35 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

disagree there.. if its not functional then its just for looks, cheap looks, because there usually IS a functional option, but people will get the plastic parts cause its cheaper. and if its just cheap looks, then its the same principle as ricing out the car.. or plastic dip. if ANYTHING, fake plastic parts whether professionally painted or not, are way more ricer than plastic dip. when you go to get stuff painted, even then theres different paint options available, so plastic dips could be the cheapo option. who knows plastic dip maybe even look good if done well. Personally I don't like it though

for example there's fake hood scoops.. cheap version of just buying a real hood with the functional heat extractors. personally I like the look of the side scoops for example, but when I saw they were just basically plastic parts glued to the side, I didn't get them cause I thought it was cheap. maybe from a distance it looks good, but up close its pretty lame IMO. don't see how one could bash plastic dip(which I agree is lame/cheap), and yet be okay with plastic parts. you said its not about it being functional its about it being tasteful... if that's the case then, it really is according to what a person likes. maybe for you its not tasteful and looks cheap(for me too), but for others maybe they like it and it looks like quality stuff(you can't dispute this because you just said about how tastefully it is done/looks, which comes down to opinion not actual quality work done. even with quality work its debatable.. it could be quality work, and still look like crap to one guy and awesome to another. like plastic parts...). seemingly for you nonfunctional plastic parts is tasteful, for me its lame/cheap.

I don't like how the car in the OP ended up looking, especially knowing its plastic dip, and that it was a GT500
but its not my car, so if the guys happy with it, eh, its his car not mine
So is this ricer then? It's got fake scoops...

Maybe its just me but why do this?-image-1175530446.jpg
Old 8/29/13, 10:28 AM
GT Member

Not a Plasti dip fan here, don't like the way it looks. For the pic in the OP, I don't care for it although I do like the color.
As for louvers, scoops or whatever, who cares if it's functional or not?
There are plenty of classic cars with non-functional things on them. If someone likes it and it looks good what's the difference? This would be a real boring place if everyone's car looked the same.

Just do what you want on your car and if you're happy, it works.
Old 8/29/13, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 12GTCS

Attachment 144618
I wouldn't say the whole car is, but those scoops are ricing it up. Look if whoever owns that car likes it, then cool, let him enjoy it. but to me, it looks like a cheap *** version of this:

go to 2:46

but again, its not my car, so let him enjoy. im sure theres probably some stuff people don't like on my car, but I don't care, they really shouldn't either, cause its my car not there's.
Old 8/29/13, 11:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 12GTCS

I know that on this site ricer is a huge insult. I like many ricer things. I like low riders. I like pretty much every style of car. They all have something special if executed properly. I have always thought that scoops that don't work or brake vents that don't lead to brakes are rice. I like them and don't see it as a bad thing.
Old 8/29/13, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets just go back to spray painting our cars, and putting dragons on the hood!
Old 8/29/13, 05:27 PM
GT Member

Wow....Well I'll take a "riced out" 1968 GT350 over a 6 cylinder mustang any day....