Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Front mud flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/14, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I've got the AM ones on the way. The price didn't seem that crazy to me but I've always put Rally Armors on my Subaru's. Expensive but worth every penny.
You'll be happy with them. I hate mud flaps with a passion and have never ran them on any prior car and never had so much as a rock chip behind the wheels, but this is my first car with summer tires and that's a whole different ballgame in terms of crap shooting at the rockers. After a few days with them I completely forgot they were there and I never even notice them now.

That said, they really only protect maybe the front 6" of the rocker panel since they don't hang very low, but that's the 6" that would probably get beat the worst…just the front face of the rocker that faces right at the tire where the flaps attach would become unsightly pretty quick, so at least you won't have to worry about that.
Old 4/24/14, 06:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by puma1552
You'll be happy with them. I hate mud flaps with a passion and have never ran them on any prior car and never had so much as a rock chip behind the wheels, but this is my first car with summer tires and that's a whole different ballgame in terms of crap shooting at the rockers. After a few days with them I completely forgot they were there and I never even notice them now.

That said, they really only protect maybe the front 6" of the rocker panel since they don't hang very low, but that's the 6" that would probably get beat the worst…just the front face of the rocker that faces right at the tire where the flaps attach would become unsightly pretty quick, so at least you won't have to worry about that.
I'm debating having my tint shop put 3M film down the length of the rockers for additional protection. Roush side splitters are another option that's been mentioned. I've still got time to figure it out.
Old 4/24/14, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

i thought about that too even though i dont like clear bras but then figured id need to also do the bottom-most curve of the doors which pretty much killed that idea.

so far no rock chips miraculously on the pure trash roads here in the north with trillions of rocks kicking up constantly but i sure do cringe driving in the city
Old 4/24/14, 11:43 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm debating having my tint shop put 3M film down the length of the rockers for additional protection. .

That's what I did.

Plus DIY - straight sections are easy to do yourself.
Old 4/25/14, 06:51 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which would give better protection, the mudflaps or the splitters. I like the look of the splitters, but it doesn't seem that the front section would be well protected.
Old 4/25/14, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by clucas
Which would give better protection, the mudflaps or the splitters. I like the look of the splitters, but it doesn't seem that the front section would be well protected.
Mud flaps will do a better job of protecting the lower doors, the splitters would protect the length of the rocker panel but won't do much on the doors.
Old 4/25/14, 01:00 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So it seems like the combination of the two would be the way to go. I may have to look at making my own mudflaps with some ABS.
Old 4/25/14, 01:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Mud flaps will do a better job of protecting the lower doors, the splitters would protect the length of the rocker panel but won't do much on the doors.
Must disagree. You cannot believe how much the splitters protect the door above the skirt. Good way to test this theory is drive through some wet roads after a wash. They do their job and look awesome. Mine held its own in two salty snowy winters before I traded the car. The gt500 rear flaps are essential as well for back splash.
Old 4/25/14, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Must disagree. You cannot believe how much the splitters protect the door above the skirt. Good way to test this theory is drive through some wet roads after a wash. They do their job and look awesome. Mine held its own in two salty snowy winters before I traded the car. The gt500 rear flaps are essential as well for back splash.
Looking at how far they stick out, I didn't think the protection would be that great. Had I known I would have just got the side splitters. I was planning on doing them anyways down the road. Thanks for the input on this.
Old 4/26/14, 02:09 PM

Looking at how far they stick out, I didn't think the protection would be that great. Had I known I would have just got the side splitters. I was planning on doing them anyways down the road. Thanks for the input on this.
You won't be disappointed with the splitters. Here they are/were on my old sixer. Id put them on my GTCS but I'm keeping it all original.
Attached Thumbnails Front mud flaps?-image-2927801268.jpg   Front mud flaps?-image-3141756558.jpg   Front mud flaps?-image-1779434719.jpg   Front mud flaps?-image-2326396219.jpg  
Old 4/30/14, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the AM front ones on mine and they are barely noticeable. Whether or not they help with rock chips is yet to be seen.

Wayne
Old 4/30/14, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
You won't be disappointed with the splitters. Here they are/were on my old sixer. Id put them on my GTCS but I'm keeping it all original.
Completely agree. I love mine think they are very visually appealing, but I have a q for you. Did you find them a pita to keep clean, and how or what did you use to clean.

I'm looking for some type of brush (boars hair) to use to clean them. The angle between the splitter and rocker is tight, and I find dirt likes to accumulate there.
Old 5/1/14, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Completely agree. I love mine think they are very visually appealing, but I have a q for you. Did you find them a pita to keep clean, and how or what did you use to clean. I'm looking for some type of brush (boars hair) to use to clean them. The angle between the splitter and rocker is tight, and I find dirt likes to accumulate there.
After washing them, I wrapped an old credit card in a microfiber towel and saturated it with armor all.

The crisp corner will get into the crevices. Notice how clean mine were? Lol
Attached Thumbnails Front mud flaps?-image-667183712.jpg  
Old 5/24/14, 02:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey, so are we finding out that the front mud flaps are enough to protect the rockers and lower doors, or do we need more protection from rocks?

I have a new GT track pack on the way, got the front splash guards/mud flaps/stone guards from Jaeger Brothers. I'm doing paint protection film on the front of the hood and fenders. Don't really want to add film to the rockers and lower doors but I will if I have to. Stuff just gets pricey fast.
Old 5/24/14, 03:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Hey, so are we finding out that the front mud flaps are enough to protect the rockers and lower doors, or do we need more protection from rocks? I have a new GT track pack on the way, got the front splash guards/mud flaps/stone guards from Jaeger Brothers. I'm doing paint protection film on the front of the hood and fenders. Don't really want to add film to the rockers and lower doors but I will if I have to. Stuff just gets pricey fast.
I'm going to do the 3M spray clear bra on the rockers and lower doors - cheaper to install and it looks just as good. But I'll probably do the good stuff on the hood and front bumper.
Old 5/24/14, 08:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey, so are we finding out that the front mud flaps are enough to protect the rockers and lower doors, or do we need more protection from rocks?

I have a new GT track pack on the way, got the front splash guards/mud flaps/stone guards from Jaeger Brothers. I'm doing paint protection film on the front of the hood and fenders. Don't really want to add film to the rockers and lower doors but I will if I have to. Stuff just gets pricey fast.
Honestly if you're already doing it, I'd put it on the rocker panels and doors. After 23,000 miles my car looks like it was sandblasted if you look real close. I have the front flaps, and I think they protect the rockers great but not the lower doors as much.
Old 6/1/14, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133

Honestly if you're already doing it, I'd put it on the rocker panels and doors. After 23,000 miles my car looks like it was sandblasted if you look real close. I have the front flaps, and I think they protect the rockers great but not the lower doors as much.
I don't suppose you'd be willing to post a picture of the area that needs protection? It would be ridiculously expensive to do the whole door so I would like to know how high and far back the mask needs to go. Also how is the paint doing behind the rear tires?
Old 6/2/14, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't suppose you'd be willing to post a picture of the area that needs protection? It would be ridiculously expensive to do the whole door so I would like to know how high and far back the mask needs to go. Also how is the paint doing behind the rear tires?
Yep I'll get a picture after work today. I've got nothing behind the rear tires, I think the factory splash guards work well back there.

If you look at the difference between the aftermarket and factory guards, you can see how the OEM rears cover more area:
https://themustangsource.com/f804/ro...4/#post6621479
Old 6/2/14, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

As promised here's some pictures of the road rash. Those little white specs are not dirt, they're chips in the paint. You can see how it starts on the fender and goes about 6-7" onto the door.

I don't live on a gravel road or anything like that either, this is just from 22k miles of normal daily driving.
Attached Thumbnails Front mud flaps?-roadrash1.jpg   Front mud flaps?-roadrash2.jpg  
Old 6/2/14, 04:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133
As promised here's some pictures of the road rash. Those little white specs are not dirt, they're chips in the paint. You can see how it starts on the fender and goes about 6-7" onto the door. I don't live on a gravel road or anything like that either, this is just from 22k miles of normal daily driving.
Wow...

Quick Reply: Front mud flaps?