Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Considering appearance mods to '13 V6 convertible...

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/12, 08:15 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering appearance mods to '13 V6 convertible...

Over the last three months of looking at the various forums and vendors online and at Mustangs on the road, I've been thinking about several styling mods for my '13 Red Candy. I definitely like the Roush rear spoiler in place of the factory one. I'd like a styling bar and I've been leaning toward the Cervini Type II. It's hard to judge by the few images to be found online, though - the product image itself isn't that great.

Anyway, it was great to get a close-up look at a lot of Mustangs at the American Muscle show last weekend - and one in particular was my favorite as far as overall appearance. It was painted in a custom orange and had the Cervini bar installed and painted to match.

So, what do you all think of the look?:

Old 8/19/12, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like everything except for the rtr hood decal..I think it's a little much.
Old 8/19/12, 12:42 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Yeah, I've seen pictures of the car online without some of the decals, and it looks better.

The paint is metallic and "in person" I recall it being a redder orange than in these pictures. It's not a color I'd buy (if it were available) but I thought it was really nice.

I've been thinking that I'd either have the audio surround/console top painted to match the factory interior aluminum accents, or maybe get the stainless steel audio surround piece from American Car Craft.

Last edited by DRB; 8/19/12 at 12:44 PM.
Old 8/21/12, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like the look.
Old 8/22/12, 08:23 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Well, I went ahead and ordered the Cervini bar and a Roush rear spoiler - also the American Car Craft piece for the radio/CD/etc. surround. It looks a lot better in photos, IMAO, than other kinds of dash kits and steel has to be a lot more durable than painting the pieces would be. I'll let you know what I think when I get it.
Old 8/22/12, 06:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Please do a write up/ pics of the roush spoiler if you do the instal yourself.
Old 8/22/12, 06:36 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Thanks, but I'm not capable of doing this kind of stuff myself, not at this point. I'll admit to being a geezer who destroys machinery just by looking at it with a screwdriver in my hand.

I replaced the alternator in a '64 Plymouth Fury III once, and the car ran properly afterward. That was the zenith of my career as an auto mechanic.

If I could get the spoiler pre-painted I might give it a try. Roush sells the spoilers painted in a number of colors, but mine isn't among them. So I ordered it unpainted and am having it done at a body shop a couple of blocks from where I live. Seems like a cool place; the guy who's going to work on the car was pretty intrigued by it.

Last edited by DRB; 8/22/12 at 07:02 PM.
Old 8/23/12, 03:28 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

The Cervini spoiler arrived this afternoon - I ordered it Tuesday at around 4:00 PM, so that's pretty good.

BTW, Cervini lists it at 538 dollars right now - I bought it for 499 from Stage 3 Motorsports. It arrived well-protected in the unopened Cervini box.

I haven't unwrapped the bar, but I've read the two pages of instructions - really straightforward, with pictures and also available as a PDF at Cervini's site - and I inventoried the parts included.

So...I'm apparently missing a pair of set screws. They don't look like anything that's going to be a challenge to just pick up locally, so I'm going to go that route.

[UPDATE 8/24:] I went ahead and called Cervinis in NJ this morning and they're sending the set screws out FedEX this morning.

Last edited by DRB; 8/24/12 at 07:37 AM.
Old 8/23/12, 03:58 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

I unwrapped the bar on the thought that the set screws might be attached somehow - of course, not.

But I took some pictures of it:

Last edited by DRB; 8/23/12 at 04:00 PM.
Old 8/30/12, 04:10 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Okay, I can't install the spoiler myself but I can post pictures of it out of the box and answer questions.

It attaches in ten places - four on the central decklid section and three on each end piece. If you have the factory spoiler there are two holes to drill in the trunk lid - four if you don't have a spoiler installed - as well as three holes in either quarter panel.

There's flashing and visible seam lines on the unpainted parts, requiring some sanding and prep before painting:

Last edited by DRB; 8/30/12 at 04:12 PM.
Old 9/15/12, 11:08 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Had the Cervini bar installed, and a couple of other small mods:

Old 9/19/12, 10:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

The bar looks good! **** that spoiler is serious. I just put an RTR spoiler on and it only attached in two places plus tape. 10 seems excessive..
Old 9/19/12, 10:57 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Thanks

The Roush spoiler is quite an impressive thing...and I'm passing on it, for now. Ten bolts did seem excessive, and I didn't really trust the notion of holding the side pieces on with the tape. It's good to hear your positive experience with it, though.

I dunno - I liked the way it looked on cars I saw at the American Muscle show last month, a lot...but when I test-fit it on mine, just didn't feel it. I'm looking at a GT/CS or GT500 spoiler right now, but I'm not in a hurry.

100% satisfied with the Cervini's bar, though. I needed a rear bumper repaint, so the guys at the body shop did both at the same time and the color match is dead-on.

Last edited by DRB; 1/7/13 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10/11/12, 08:05 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

About the time I had the bumper repairs and styling bar done I also added a stainless steel trim plate over the radio surround.

I'm quite happy with it so far. Here's my specific experience:

Installation: very straightforward, for this piece. The stock center dash plate is only very slightly convex, so the steel trim requires little if any shaping before installation. I prepped the plastic piece with an alcohol pad - not included nor specifically recommended in the ACC installation instructions - and then the adhesion promoter included with the product.

Alignment is pretty simple on this piece because it's accurately cut and there are so many points on the audio panel to line it up with - radio *****, buttons etc. I concentrated on getting the alignment perfect over the CD loading slot, and everything else fell into place.

Overall Look: this is a matter of taste, of course. I really prefer this to the various dash kits I looked at - even those that use real metal or wood generally are coated with a plastic finish that looks, well, plastic. This is polished and brushed steel and so that's what it looks like.

Granted, a dash kit that cost what this one piece of trim did would probably comprise a dozen or more pieces and if I'd wanted to dress the interior up with lots of trim that might have been a consideration. That wasn't what I wanted though - I'd have bought a kit and discarded all but one or two pieces. So it works out for me.

The stock interior trim on my car is satin aluminum and chrome, so the ACC trim doesn't quite match it - I'd say that it does compliment it. YMMV.

Down sides: no real ones that I can see. Stainless steel does pick up and show fingerprints, so keeping it clean is an ongoing consideration - of course the radio controls get a lot of daily handling. Manufacturer's care instructions stress avoiding abrasive or chlorine cleaning solutions. So far I've just used Windex with a soft microfiber cloth, but I'm looking for a good stainless steel cleaner/polish.

That's about it. Thanks.

Last edited by DRB; 10/11/12 at 08:13 AM.
Old 4/19/13, 04:18 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Old 4/21/13, 06:34 PM
Banned

hey! alright. glad to see this coming back to the top!
Old 4/22/13, 06:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 4/22/13, 07:04 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Thanks.
Old 4/22/13, 07:44 PM

Your car looks nice I really like the interior color. I have been contemplating the styling bar glad to see it looks good on your car.
Old 4/23/13, 05:21 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Thanks. I liked the Cervini bar because it could be painted to match, and because it reminds me some of the bar on the 2003 concept convertible.

Quick Reply: Considering appearance mods to '13 V6 convertible...