Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Colgan Bra for '13 - '14 GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/13, 09:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Colgan Bra for '13 - '14 GT

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Colgan or AutoAnything.

Just got a Colgan Bra for the Wifey's GT. The fit, finish, and look of the bra are excellent. I bought the Colgan because I like the soft flannel backing that some others didn't have. However the jury is still out as to just how good it will be, and the true test will be the approx. 5000 round trip we make in Sept. Here are some pics., and a few comments.

I ordered the bra through AJ@AutoAnything on the "F-150Forum.com". Using this promo code AJ saved me 16%, and the cost was $141 and change. The process was very smooth, and the bra arrived within five days.

The bra is a two piece design.

It's a good idea to have a small piece of mylar, or plastic to help slip the tabs between the bumper, and the grill.

Here is my biggest concern about the design of the bra. These hooks are a bracket design. I my small mind they should have a "V" design on the open end so it could be slipped between the wheel well liner, and the fender lip. I hoping the top, and bottom hooks will secure the bra enough that this won't be an issue. Only time, and highway speeds will tell.

The rest of the bra is secured by tabs, and hooks that do the job nicely.

Overall the bra looks good. The instructions are fair at best, the pictures of installation are useless. Of course it's best to lay the bra in the sun before you put it on, but the sun wasn't cooperative when I put mine on so it took approx. 45 minutes to install. That was with the trial and error phase, along with the tugging and pulling to get the lower fender hook secured.

Name:  100_2511_zpsb3c89682.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  139.0 KB

I will tentatively withhold a recommendation until I run it for a few days. Also, we know these hoods take a bit of effort to close, and with the bra you will need to close it with authority. But, it will close.

Last edited by wanted33; 7/20/13 at 09:52 AM.
Old 7/20/13, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It fits very well. I was looking at the LeBra for mine actually.
Old 7/20/13, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
No offense, but man the bra just ruins the look of the car. Why that instead of the clear protective stuff so many on here love so much?
Old 7/20/13, 06:36 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
I bought a Colgan for my '11 a while back. Very happy with it so far, only used it a couple of times but I like it. Works well for me being that the car is a sunny day toy only. I just plan on using it when the bugs are really bad at certain times of the year and if I decide to take it on a trip to a show or something.

This was the first time I put it on and it hadn't stretched very well yet, it fits much smoother now that its gotten hot out and been on the car in the sun.

Name:  DSC_0961_zpsf254a783.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0956_zpsf30fe1eb.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  138.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0953_zpsc864788d.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  93.9 KB

Old 7/20/13, 06:48 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I bought a Colgan for my '11 a while back. Very happy with it so far, only used it a couple of times but I like it. Works well for me being that the car is a sunny day toy only. I just plan on using it when the bugs are really bad at certain times of the year and if I decide to take it on a trip to a show or something.

This was the first time I put it on and it hadn't stretched very well yet, it fits much smoother now that its gotten hot out and been on the car in the sun.

Does yours also have the slight issue of closing the hood the OP mentioned? Or does that sort of 'break in' with use.
Old 7/20/13, 06:54 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Does yours also have the slight issue of closing the hood the OP mentioned? Or does that sort of 'break in' with use.
Yes, but I can't really say as I've only had it on twice so far. It did seem that the second time was a bit easier to shut than the first. Have to drop it from a good bit higher than normal.
Old 7/21/13, 05:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hill, like you I will only use it for long trips, and bug seasons. So I'm sure it will be fine for it's intended purposes.

BTW, that Shelby gives me strange stirrings in my loins........ I drool.

Last edited by wanted33; 7/21/13 at 12:00 PM.
Old 7/21/13, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You do realize that if you keep that on it will affect the paint...

Once you take it off after having it on there for a year or more there will be a serious difference between the paint it was covering and the rest of the car.

I speak from first hand experience... i only use 3M clear bras now.
Old 7/21/13, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
You do realize that if you keep that on it will affect the paint...

Once you take it off after having it on there for a year or more there will be a serious difference between the paint it was covering and the rest of the car.

I speak from first hand experience... i only use 3M clear bras now.
Thanks for the tip brother, I'm already with you on this. The only time it will be on the car is for long trips like the one coming up in Sept. It will be stored until I do another road trip. It's already back in the box until I ready the car. It's just to fend off rocks chips (I hope), and them big a$s grass hoppers that come out in Sept. around the mid-west.

I took the car out this morning for an interstate run to make sure nothing flapped around, and it did it's job.

Last edited by wanted33; 7/21/13 at 12:00 PM.
Old 7/21/13, 11:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Scrape
It fits very well. I was looking at the LeBra for mine actually.

Scrape, might I humbly suggest you look at the Colgan. I know it's a bit more in price, but it has a soft flannel backing that the LeBra doesn't. The backing will help in drying if your caught in the rain, and also defend against the bare vinyl rubbing the paint.
Old 7/21/13, 12:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
Scrape, might I humbly suggest you look at the Colgan. I know it's a bit more in price, but it has a soft flannel backing that the LeBra doesn't. The backing will help in drying if your caught in the rain, and also defend against the bare vinyl rubbing the paint.
Its that soft flannel lining that leads to paint discoloration. Not only from a drive in the rain or snow, but it also wicks moisture out of the air. The masks I owned warned of this in their literature. I assume yours does too?

You must remove them after every drive.

Sometimes I would be tired from driving home late at night and then remove it in the morning thinking it would be OK. I've clouded two cars with these dang masks which is why I went with 3M on both my new cars.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/21/13 at 12:11 PM.
Old 7/21/13, 12:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Its that soft flannel lining that leads to paint discoloration. Not only from a drive in the rain or snow, but it also wicks moisture out of the air. The masks I owned warned of this in their literature. I assume yours does too?

You must remove them after every drive.

Sometimes I would be tired from driving home late at night and then remove it in the morning thinking it would be OK. I've clouded two cars with these dang masks which is why I went with 3M on both my new cars.
That's odd, I have one for my plastic car and haven't had that problem. It has been on the car for as long as three weeks at a time during a road trip. It comes off as soon as I get home. I will be mindful of this one though. Thanks Charlie.
Old 1/15/14, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Colgan or AutoAnything.

Just got a Colgan Bra for the Wifey's GT. The fit, finish, and look of the bra are excellent. I bought the Colgan because I like the soft flannel backing that some others didn't have. However the jury is still out as to just how good it will be, and the true test will be the approx. 5000 round trip we make in Sept. Here are some pics., and a few comments.

I ordered the bra through AJ@AutoAnything on the "F-150Forum.com". Using this promo code AJ saved me 16%, and the cost was $141 and change. The process was very smooth, and the bra arrived within five days.

The bra is a two piece design.

It's a good idea to have a small piece of mylar, or plastic to help slip the tabs between the bumper, and the grill.

Here is my biggest concern about the design of the bra. These hooks are a bracket design. I my small mind they should have a "V" design on the open end so it could be slipped between the wheel well liner, and the fender lip. I hoping the top, and bottom hooks will secure the bra enough that this won't be an issue. Only time, and highway speeds will tell.

The rest of the bra is secured by tabs, and hooks that do the job nicely.

Overall the bra looks good. The instructions are fair at best, the pictures of installation are useless. Of course it's best to lay the bra in the sun before you put it on, but the sun wasn't cooperative when I put mine on so it took approx. 45 minutes to install. That was with the trial and error phase, along with the tugging and pulling to get the lower fender hook secured.

I will tentatively withhold a recommendation until I run it for a few days. Also, we know these hoods take a bit of effort to close, and with the bra you will need to close it with authority. But, it will close.
I just order the same one for my long distance road trip and I was looking at the instruction on the net but I'd like to know if there is risk of scatching the bumper when sliding thos tabs in between the grill and the bumper or the headlights ?
Old 1/19/14, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People still put these awful things on their cars? Thought those died with the Fox mustangs and hair metal. Aside from looking like crap they can ruin the paint. Looks like a muzzle on a dog. My advice, lose the bra.

Edit after reading through it looks like you want to use it for long trips, I get that.

Last edited by Fox9350; 1/19/14 at 07:46 PM.
Old 1/19/14, 07:59 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice bra lol

Me personally id do a clearbra since it doesnt really detract from appearance, protects very well in much needed areas, and isnt to expensive either. And ots removable as well. Ive seen some cars on the highway using painters tape or even plastidip to protect key areas (front bumper, hood, mirror covers, behind wheel arches)
Old 1/24/14, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Like someone else mentioned - there are better ways to protect the paint. The clear paint protectors look good, and when you want to replace or eliminate, you simply peel it off. I am actually surprised that there are companies still making those.

Last edited by 88lx50; 1/24/14 at 08:41 AM.
Old 4/25/14, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Hey I know this is an older thread but how was the trip with the Bra on the Car?

I don't know what the others are talking about. I have had Colgan the Best out there and Cove Craft Now owns Colgan.. For years.

The Mirror Covers are the best and the Bra keeps the front end clean and protected even traveling down the interstate at a high rate of speed and a rock hits it... Yea Clear bra's don't work then...

Also the paint gets damaged from the heat and the water underneath. If it gets to hot it boils heats up the water and turns the paint a white color.

The Bra looks great. I just ordered a 2014 GT and waiting for tit to get hear and I'm ordering this bra before it gets here... Mirror covers too.

Bra looks great...
Old 4/29/14, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love mine,does it's job. Only issue was closing the hood. The warmer it gets the easier it closes.