Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Anyone have any experience using 3M tape over vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/16, 05:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone have any experience using 3M tape over vinyl?

Got an RTR deck lid panel and planning to install it on my car. Want to delete the faux gas cap. Already transferred my "3" emblem to the lower right and a new Jack Roush signature decal on the lower left (Like the original rear panel is/was) of the RTR panel. My question is this. My car's rear deck lid came with a flat black vinyl "decal/wrap" from Roush that also has a gloss black pinstripe along the top of it, so the RTR panel's "tape" would attempting to adhere to matte vinyl on the sides/middle/bottom, and along the top adhering to half gloss and half matte vinyl, horizontally (if that makes sense?). I plan to use the included adhesion promoter. Will 3M tape stick to the vinyl on the trunk lid or do I need to try to remove it before installing the RTR panel?? My "3" emblem was installed on top of the vinyl but the adhesive on it felt softer to me than typical 3M tape so I want sure if it was some type of a foam/liquid adhesive.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have any experience using 3M tape over vinyl?-decklid.jpg   Anyone have any experience using 3M tape over vinyl?-rtr.jpg  
Old 6/8/16, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
You are putting tape on tape. The 3M will stick like gangbusters on the vinyl, but will the vinyl stick on the panel with that added load being placed upon it?

Depends on what sticky they used on the vinyl. And/or the vinyl's tensile strength itself.

I'd recommend cutting the vinyl where the 3M tape will be so that the emblem can stick to a hard part and not a go-between, myself, but it's really your call.

Now, you don't have to cut out the whole emblem's circle area. Just the bits where the tape would be needed. That way you don't worry about it fitting perfect on the emblem/vinyl, just give it the room to stick the tape to the hard part and it'll look fine.

Good luck, whichever you decide, and hope that helps!
Old 6/8/16, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
3M tape is good tape. I think like it was talked about in the post before about tape on tape will stick like gang busters. However you will be removing the faux cap which will be bare metal. this will be a good contact point for the tape to bond to. The rear deck panel IMO should be safe and secure.
However If it was me I would remove the vinyl because it will be NG once you stick the 3M tape to it. Use a heat gun and peel back.
Old 6/8/16, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the reply's. It was easier than I thought to remove the existing vinyl. 1000x easier than the 3m tape residue from the faux emblem. I used sheet metal cutters and my dremmel to remove the faux cap then ground the cut edges smooth and used touch up paint around the hole. Finally put a black vinyl square over the new giant hole and installed the new panel. Pics in the "What did you do to your '10-'14 today" thread

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 6/8/16 at 05:45 PM.