Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Wiring in DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/14, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wiring in DRLs

Hi all, I did my best to search for this already, sorry if its been covered.

I'm swapping in a GT front end and Saleen grille onto my 2012 V6.

I've got Raxiom halos and want to wire *JUST* the CCFL up as DRLs.

I know that this should be easy enough to do, I've read that the CCFL leads can be wired straight to 12v ignition source and be done.

But the paranoid side of me wants to be able to switch them off if I really really want to for some reason. Easy enough, but I want a *NICE* looking switch. Something as OEM looking as possible in an OEM location.

I'd like to use the location of one of the stock blanks. Anyone know where I can get a decent looking switch that will fit in this blank?

Thanks much advance!
Attached Thumbnails Wiring in DRLs-switches.jpg  
Old 10/2/14, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Sorry m8 but I dont think you can get a switch for that blank. You could try fabracting your own but under all that is a large circut board that plugs into your car with a harness. The job would not be for the faint hearted. I would get the 2013 mustang base steering wheel buttons wire those up so you can use those for your info setup and reset (The will have that printed on them to if you get the 2013 BASE switch) and then use your old info setup and reset switches for the on/off and maybe you can get a decal shop to make a custom decal of like "DRL". Thats how I would do it.
Old 10/2/14, 09:50 AM

Thanks Alex, I appreciate the thoughts. My buttons are pretty full up on my steering wheel already (cruise control on the left, audio on the right... Sync), but I'll have a go at it once I can really dig in and figure out what fits where. I guess I can always add the most discrete hardware switch I can find to the lower dash somewhere mostly out of sight if push comes to shove.

Thanks again!
Old 10/2/14, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

hey m8 just to let you know what your looking for this is the switch and this replaces the just cruise control switches with the info setup and reset and it also has the cruise control on it so everything should work.
Old 10/2/14, 11:41 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this may be a dumb idea, but is it possible to use the fog lamp switch built into the existing light controls?
Old 10/3/14, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by spqr
this may be a dumb idea, but is it possible to use the fog lamp switch built into the existing light controls?
Yes you can. If you dont mind having your fogs come on with the DRL, Personally I use my fogs as DRL.
Old 10/6/14, 01:57 PM

Thanks Alex! At the very least, I like the more compact design of this switch over the one I have currently. I'll have to consider this.
Old 10/6/14, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Yes you can. If you dont mind having your fogs come on with the DRL, Personally I use my fogs as DRL.

Yeah I thought of this, but was trying to keep things separate.

I don't want to give up the fogs if I can help it.
Old 10/7/14, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

anytime m8. let us know how it turns out.
Old 11/14/14, 01:46 AM

why not just buy a small toggle switch and install in one of the blanks, it wouldnt even be noticeable by anyone other then yourself tbh...
Old 11/16/14, 08:17 PM

Might wind up having to go that way. I don't even know how much room there are behind those blanks.

I have seen someone DIY a capacitive touch-sensitive switch for their garage door opener. I'm going to look into that as it sounds like a fun project as well. I'll have two blanks to work with, so hopefully one for the DRL and maybe another for either a garage door opener or perhaps a heated mirrors switch, tho I really wish I could wire those into the rear window defroster as they shut off on their own.

And Alex, I'll likely be switching out that steering wheel switch anyway as I want to try swapping in the OEM nav and converting my car over to the auto-climate/dual zone climate control.
Old 11/17/14, 03:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by WordySanchez
Might wind up having to go that way. I don't even know how much room there are behind those blanks.

I have seen someone DIY a capacitive touch-sensitive switch for their garage door opener. I'm going to look into that as it sounds like a fun project as well. I'll have two blanks to work with, so hopefully one for the DRL and maybe another for either a garage door opener or perhaps a heated mirrors switch, tho I really wish I could wire those into the rear window defroster as they shut off on their own.

And Alex, I'll likely be switching out that steering wheel switch anyway as I want to try swapping in the OEM nav and converting my car over to the auto-climate/dual zone climate control.
The heated mirrors on my 13 are wired into the rear window defroster from the factory.
As for the Nav and Dual Automatic temp, I see you already found Jim010 Sticky on it. Good Luck
Old 11/17/14, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
The heated mirrors on my 13 are wired into the rear window defroster from the factory.
As for the Nav and Dual Automatic temp, I see you already found Jim010 Sticky on it. Good Luck
Hm, that's good info Siber, thinking I might best just look for OEM takeoff materials from a wrecker so they work the way I'd like (and save myself a switch).

And yeah... Jim has already been a gigantic help.

Have to start cobbling together the small pieces now. Hoping to have some time over the xmas holiday for this.
Old 11/22/14, 09:08 PM
GT Member

Are there any optional switches that go in place of those bottom two blanks?
Old 11/22/14, 10:40 PM

None that I could find. best you might do is find another switch and cover over the symbol. that or use the space for an aftermarket switch. Will know more once I get it into my hands on the unit out of the car.