Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Water Temp Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/12, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
Is this just for looks or something else that I'm missing?
Did you read the entire thread?

Short version - I was originally attempting to establish the location of the OEM water temperature sensor, and it appears as if the 3.7 doesn't have one (nor does the 5.0 for that matter). Then, the conversation turned towards how/where to install a water temp sensor, and the two or three options available to me (drilling/tapping the thermostat housing, the radiator hose sensor tee, or a handy but unknown hex plug in the side of the block. Finally, I decided that the radiator hose sensor tee was the easiest solution.

Shorter version - yeah, you missed something.
Old 5/17/12, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsimmons
Did you read the entire thread?

Short version - I was originally attempting to establish the location of the OEM water temperature sensor, and it appears as if the 3.7 doesn't have one (nor does the 5.0 for that matter). Then, the conversation turned towards how/where to install a water temp sensor, and the two or three options available to me (drilling/tapping the thermostat housing, the radiator hose sensor tee, or a handy but unknown hex plug in the side of the block. Finally, I decided that the radiator hose sensor tee was the easiest solution.

Shorter version - yeah, you missed something.
No I got that. What I want to know is why you want to another water temperature sensor when Ford already provides one - granted you may not like they way they are measuring it? No trying to . I'm just curious and like to learn about this stuff to see if it is something I'd like to do myself also.
Old 5/17/12, 12:31 PM
Cobra Member

No I got that. What I want to know is why you want to another water temperature sensor when Ford already provides one - granted you may not like they way they are measuring it? No trying to . I'm just curious and like to learn about this stuff to see if it is something I'd like to do myself also.
0) I'm installing aftermarket gauges, mostly because my base V6 only has a water temp gauge that isn't really a water temp gauge. The aftermarket gauges are electric gauges, and show oil pressure, water temp, and volts (the "big three" from back in the day).

1) The 3.7 V6 doesn't have a water temp sensor. It has a cylinder head temp sensor which is a completely different thing. All of that means that there is no OEM sensor to use, abuse, or coexist with.

2) The stock sensors need to remain in place in the car so that the computer in the car allows the motor to run correctly. This means the new aftermarket sensors that came with my gauges have to be installed along side the OEM sensors.

Last edited by jsimmons; 5/17/12 at 12:38 PM.
Old 5/17/12, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jsimmons
0) I'm installing aftermarket gauges, mostly because my base V6 only has a water temp gauge that isn't really a water temp gauge. The aftermarket gauges are electric gauges, and show oil pressure, water temp, and volts (the "big three" from back in the day).

1) The 3.7 V6 doesn't have a water temp sensor. It has a cylinder head temp sensor which is a completely different thing. All of that means that there is no OEM sensor to use, abuse, or coexist with.

2) The stock sensors need to remain in place in the car so that the computer in the car allows the motor to run correctly. This means the new aftermarket sensors that came with my gauges have to be installed along side the OEM sensors.
Thanks a lot. I get it now. Was thinking about adding the Boss gauges pod just because I think it looks cool but 1) too expensive 2) doesn't look like it would be a straightforward install. Good luck with the install and please show us the results after you are done.
Old 5/18/12, 04:41 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks a lot. I get it now. Was thinking about adding the Boss gauges pod just because I think it looks cool but 1) too expensive 2) doesn't look like it would be a straightforward install. Good luck with the install and please show us the results after you are done.
You can get the Boss pod without gauges for $100, and depending on what gauges you get, they can cost you anywhere from $200-1000. I was originally going to get the Auto Meter Ford racing gauges, but they were a) half-sweep gauges, b) don't match the OEM instrument illumination color, and c) cost more than I think they're worth.

Instead, I got SpeedHut gauges, which you customize to your own specs when you order them. Mine only cost $325, including shipping, and without the "Ford racing" logo, would have been $30 cheaper. Here they are in a Speed of Sound gauge pod (that I'm probably not going to be able use).

It's unfortunate that gauge pod choices are so limited for the 2010+ cars. You can do one of these:

0) The Boss gauge pod - requires drilling the dash, and IMHO, ain't adequate. It mounts in the package tray and doesn't aim the gauges at the driver.

1) A-piller pod - Requires no dash drilling and is the ONLY pod made specifically for the 2010+ cars, but IMHO, A-pillar pods look like they belong on a riced-out Toyota.

2) Individual gauge pods - This can be made to look acceptable, but most implementations require drilling the dash.

I omitted the Speed of Sound gauge pod because fitment in a 2010+ car is problematic. It can probably be made to work, bot the shape of the base makes it difficult.

I've got an idea for a no-drill center-dash gauge mounting system, but I have no way to fabricate it.
Old 5/18/12, 12:29 PM
GTR Member

I did a similar dash pod on my old '04, made it myself using gauge cups and a piece of aluminum and double sided tape. Never finished the wiring but had it routed so I didn't drill the dash and you couldn't tell it was ever there after I took it off.
Attached Thumbnails Water Temp Gauge-im001327a.jpg