Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Spark plug upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/14, 04:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plug upgrade

Due to some misfire of my V6 after the mod install i am about to install some ngk plugs. The driver side is pretty easy but what about the passenger side? Do i have to remove the upper intake part? Has anyone done the change/upgrade?

Joe
Old 7/5/14, 02:04 PM
GT Member

Do I have to remove the complete intake to reach the passenger side spark plugs? Any suggestions, ... help....
Old 7/5/14, 07:18 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, you have to remove the intake plenum to get to the passenger side. It isn't that difficult though. Just disconnect everything, including the intake tube, make sure that the electronics are disconnected. Then unbolt and lift - there is a bolt in the front that you need to be aware of - at least on mine, there is a strap that has a bolt in the block and one in the intake plenum.

Cover the intake with some tape to make sure nothing falls in after you lift the plenum away.
Old 7/6/14, 12:33 AM
GT Member

Thanks, so i have to take a closer look at it. And is it true that i need a 5/8 wrench size for the plugs? Haven't found any information on that.
Old 7/7/14, 06:14 AM
GT Member

Yes, you'll need to remove the intake. I would recommend grabbing a new gasket as it's generally not a good idea to reuse them.

As jim recommended, cover the holes with something, as you really don't want to drop a screw into your engine. I used shop towels, but tape is another good idea.

I dont remember the exact size for the spark plugs, but they should be whatever the common size is. My socket set had a socket specifically for spark plugs, and it worked perfectly. If you don't have that socket, I'd highly recommend grabbing one.

Finally, while you have your intake off, go ahead and wipe things out a little bit with some shop towels. There will most likely be a little bit of gunk, and it's a good idea to wipe things down while you're in there. Only adds a few minutes to the process.
Old 7/7/14, 11:15 AM
V6 Member

Joerg:

I just did this on the '11 convertible.

Used Autolite XP Iridium plugs (XP 5363) with a little dab of high temp anti-seize on the threads & gapped at 052". Just snug them, plus a little.... don't overtighten.

Intake is straight forward, go slow on the disconnecting.

You will need a torque wrench calibrated in inch-pounds to re-secure the intake: The spec is 89 inch/lbs.

I attached a pix of the torque order, do it as shown... bringing them up together evenly.
The gaskets are rubber o-ring style, I reused them after putting a touch of silicone on 'em. No leaks or Check Engine lights... hooray.

Update us when you can.....
Attached Images  
Old 7/7/14, 01:35 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the install guide/picture that is extremely helpful. The gasket i have to reuse, cause i did not think of it so i didn't order one. And the car has just over 2000 miles on it so that should not be an issue, i hope.
I'll keep you informed about the progress ... I might be doing the install tomorrow, if time permits.
Old 7/8/14, 12:04 PM
GT Member

Does anyone know the torque values for reinstalling the manifold, couldn't find em anywhere.
Old 7/8/14, 01:51 PM
GT Member

10nM / 89 lb-in

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=499
Root » 2011 » Workshop Manuals » 3-Powertrain » GROUP 03 [Engine] » SECTION 303-01A [Engine - 3.7L] » IN-VEHICLE REPAIR » upper intake manifold
Old 7/8/14, 02:05 PM
GT Member

Great thanks! I'll start the project tomorrow as soon as I got my spark plugs. The dremel and all required tools are ready to go ��
Old 7/8/14, 02:59 PM
GT Member

uh... what? why are you using a dremel to replace spark plugs?
Old 7/8/14, 03:19 PM
GT Member

Well, not for the spark plugs, it is for the intake manifold. I am going to remove the silencer fins which are right behind the throttle body. First I cut them out with a special tool and then I'll smoothen the area with the dremel and some sand paper to get the best airflow possible.
Old 7/8/14, 04:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyJoe
Well, not for the spark plugs, it is for the intake manifold. I am going to remove the silencer fins which are right behind the throttle body. First I cut them out with a special tool and then I'll smoothen the area with the dremel and some sand paper to get the best airflow possible.
Ok. Haha, you had me worried or a minute there.

Will you need to retune after removing the fins?

Last edited by spqr; 7/8/14 at 05:21 PM.
Old 7/8/14, 11:38 PM
GT Member

No, that should not be necessary but you can adjust the MAF value to get the full benefit out of the increased flow speed. The MAF sensor will recognize the higher values and should be able to compensate. You don't change the amount of air but you change the speed, that will help the engine to accelerate better.
Old 7/9/14, 09:17 AM
GT Member

No, that should not be necessary but you can adjust the MAF value to get the full benefit out of the increased flow speed. The MAF sensor will recognize the higher values and should be able to compensate. You don't change the amount of air but you change the speed, that will help the engine to accelerate better.
I don't understand... if the MAF detects more air going through, why would you need to adjust anything? Thanks in advance. I'm just trying to learn how these things work.
Old 7/9/14, 12:15 PM
GT Member

That is true for the most part, but the airflow is changed in that way, that the speed is increased. Therefor the cylinder is filled faster but the ecu is programmed for the values with the standard setup. The programming is capable to compensate for changes up to a certain limit. If you have a CAI and exhaust the flow is increased already, but with the cleaned intake manifold and maybe a tune, the system might reach the design limit. I will increase the MAF value by +3-5%.
But that is the way I understand it, so no garantie...
Old 7/11/14, 02:47 PM
GT Member

O.k. the spark plugs are installed, a little bit time consuming, but the intake clean up has to wait. My cutting tool broke right at the first attempt, the first fin is just scratched. But now I have a much better idea how to get it done.
I bought some tools and as soon as I got some spare time, I'll start my next try - after I installed my new sway bars on monday.
Old 7/11/14, 03:33 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O.k. the spark plugs are installed, a little bit time consuming, but the intake clean up has to wait. My cutting tool broke right at the first attempt, the first fin is just scratched. But now I have a much better idea how to get it done.
I bought some tools and as soon as I got some spare time, I'll start my next try - after I installed my new sway bars on monday.
In a way I'm glad you stopped, cause when you start to remove the fins from the manifold, could you take pictures of the process? At least a before and after shot perhaps. Very interested in how this will turn out. Thank you
Old 7/14/14, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by StangDawg
In a way I'm glad you stopped, cause when you start to remove the fins from the manifold, could you take pictures of the process? At least a before and after shot perhaps. Very interested in how this will turn out. Thank you
+1 im very interested in DIY mods!
Old 7/16/14, 01:51 PM
GT Member

I'll try to shoot some pics while I do it, but it has to wait. Everything is ready to go but ... summervacation with the family is on first place now.

I'll get to it in about 2 weeks, so stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Spark plug upgrade