Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Spare tire vs. tire inflator on 2012 V6?

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/12, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not even and option on the Pony, MCA and Performance packages

Originally Posted by Uin2it
If anyone is near Goldsboro NC and wants a stock size spare....let me know!
My '12 came with the spare and I want the tire inflator!

Lets work out a deal!
On Fords website if you select the base V6 model you have an option to buy the Spare Tire kit for $100. Does anyone know why this is not even an option for the Pony Package, MCA or Performance package V6?
Attached Thumbnails Spare tire vs. tire inflator on 2012 V6?-sparetire.jpg  

Last edited by dball584; 1/20/12 at 08:53 AM.
Old 1/20/12, 10:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dball584
Deysha,

Will this fit the my 2012 V6 premium Pony package?

Thanks,
D
yes, it will fit the pony pkg
Old 1/20/12, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Clue
My 2011 V6 vert came with a spare tire. It's listed on the window sticker as:
17" MINI SPARE TIRE/WHL 100.00
are u in canada?
Old 1/20/12, 10:20 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Nope. They provide roadside assistance for 3 yrs. free. Not to mention tires are a wear item like clutch or brakes.

Yeah I haven't had an actual flat in about that long. Seen some low tires and discovered a nail, pumped it up and drove to the tire store.
However, I love some backwoods 2 lane twisties where neither a cell is certain nor waiting for roadside assistance for hours. So for those occasions I bought the mini spare. When I'm just around town I can take it out.
Checked with the dealer I bought my Mustang from last night on the way home....I asked if they would replace the wheel pressure sensor if it got ruined with the inflator gunk; the service manager said yes. He said they personally have yet to see one get ruined by the stuff, but did confirm they would do it at their cost. I asked for it in writing (with a smile), he said they would replace it, not to worry about it.
Old 1/20/12, 12:38 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dball584
Deysha,

Will this fit the my 2012 V6 premium Pony package?
Yes, it does, dball584.

Deysha
Old 1/20/12, 12:45 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cinque35
are u in canada?
Nope..not in Canada. I'm not the original owner of the car. If it was first put into service in California. I bought it in Wisconsin.

May have been a fleet vehicle purchase originally. ?
Old 1/20/12, 01:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
Checked with the dealer I bought my Mustang from last night on the way home....I asked if they would replace the wheel pressure sensor if it got ruined with the inflator gunk; the service manager said yes. He said they personally have yet to see one get ruined by the stuff, but did confirm they would do it at their cost. I asked for it in writing (with a smile), he said they would replace it, not to worry about it.
You have a better dealer than me. Mine reminded me of roadside assistance and then referred me to BFG's warranty.

The Svc Mgr also said its not just the sensor, its that you can't get the goo out of the tire completely - which makes them about impossible to re-balance afterwards.

But this was back in 08 when people were just learning of the ridiculousness of only offering the inflator kit in the Bullitt. Maybe Ford listened to the negative response.
Old 1/21/12, 08:22 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
The Svc Mgr also said its not just the sensor, its that you can't get the goo out of the tire completely - which makes them about impossible to re-balance afterwards.
You can clean the goo out, just need to dismount and wash the tire down, although I beleive the RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association) reccomends against repairing a tire that has sealant in it due to the possibility of the inner liner becoming contaminated and effecting patch adhesion.

I think alot of techs dont like to mess with cleaning the sealant out by dint of it being pretty messy since it involves washing the tire down then trying to get all the water out afterwards since you dont want to put a damp tire and rim assembly back together.
Old 1/22/12, 01:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Clue
Nope..not in Canada. I'm not the original owner of the car. If it was first put into service in California. I bought it in Wisconsin.

May have been a fleet vehicle purchase originally. ?
that could be it, fleet option..
Old 1/22/12, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
You can clean the goo out, just need to dismount and wash the tire down, although I beleive the RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association) reccomends against repairing a tire that has sealant in it due to the possibility of the inner liner becoming contaminated and effecting patch adhesion.

I think alot of techs dont like to mess with cleaning the sealant out by dint of it being pretty messy since it involves washing the tire down then trying to get all the water out afterwards since you dont want to put a damp tire and rim assembly back together.
Apparently Ford service does not have a problem with this...or they would not have supplied foam as a "standard" package for a flat tire. If they want to give me a spare tire/jack kit, I'd gladly toss the foam and use the spare if I should ever get a flat; otherwise my dealer will be cleaning a rim/tire when I get there. At the time of my purchase, the spare tire/fack was not an available option.
Old 1/22/12, 07:50 PM
Cobra R Member

looks like they might have a problem since the spare is now standard again in the 13's
Old 1/22/12, 08:57 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
The best i understood, the 'road side assistance' will fix your flat tire only if you have a 'useable spare tire'. Unless its been changed since i've had my 2011.
Old 2/22/12, 08:20 PM

Spare Tire is 18 inches

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello DrDisney,

Here is the info to order the Spare Kit, which I think is safer to have.

Deysha

I believe this for a 17 inch wheel. What do you do if your V6 has factory 18 inch wheels?
Old 2/27/12, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by llasov
I believe this for a 17 inch wheel. What do you do if your V6 has factory 18 inch wheels?
Hello llasov,

Welcome to the forum. To my understanding, spares have always been an inch smaller than the other 4 wheels. Please speak to your Ford dealer about this and check if there is another size spare for you.

Deysha
Old 2/27/12, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hello llasov,

Welcome to the forum. To my understanding, spares have always been an inch smaller than the other 4 wheels. Please speak to your Ford dealer about this and check if there is another size spare for you.

Deysha
Thanks for the post. I've spoken to several dealers and each has provided different answers. Not very confident as to which dealer to believe. I was hoping that Ford Part Number CR3Z1K007A would do the trick. Two dealers replied that they have no idea if this kit would work with my vehicle. The third dealer stated that, in fact, this kit would not work. Moreover, this dealer said they found an 18" spare (for about $500) bit there were no parts listed for the jack etc. I would to obtain those parts from a junkyard of from someone who was looking to sell theirs. It's hard to believe that there isn't better information available from Ford.
Old 2/27/12, 01:02 PM

Deysha

Any additional thoughts on the spare tire issue?

Thanks
Old 2/27/12, 01:17 PM
Cobra R Member

doesn't matter if a v6 comes with 17's or 18's, still uses the same 17" spare
Old 2/29/12, 09:22 AM

Deysha:
I'm a newbie, and this site has more knowlege than I can handle. I look to being that knowledgeable some day, but right now I'm confused. My question is simple -- I have a 2012 V6 3.7L 6spd Manual with the performance package, meaning 250/40R19 tires, appropriate wheels, and that horrible temporary mobility kit -- is there a spare I can buy that is operationally safe and fits in the spare tire well? What size, what wheel and tire, etc.
Thank you!
Old 3/1/12, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the post. I've spoken to several dealers and each has provided different answers. Not very confident as to which dealer to believe. I was hoping that Ford Part Number CR3Z1K007A would do the trick. Two dealers replied that they have no idea if this kit would work with my vehicle.
Deysha
Any additional thoughts on the spare tire issue?
Originally Posted by psulefty
Deysha:
I have a 2012 V6 3.7L 6spd Manual with the performance package, meaning 250/40R19 tires, appropriate wheels, and that horrible temporary mobility kit -- is there a spare I can buy that is operationally safe and fits in the spare tire well? What size, what wheel and tire, etc.
Thank you!
Hello guys,

I have confirmed this Spare Kit is for all 2011-2012MY Mustangs, whether it came with 17” or 18” wheels.

Deysha
Old 3/1/12, 06:57 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the post. I've spoken to several dealers and each has provided different answers. Not very confident as to which dealer to believe. I was hoping that Ford Part Number CR3Z1K007A would do the trick. Two dealers replied that they have no idea if this kit would work with my vehicle. The third dealer stated that, in fact, this kit would not work. Moreover, this dealer said they found an 18" spare (for about $500) bit there were no parts listed for the jack etc. I would to obtain those parts from a junkyard of from someone who was looking to sell theirs. It's hard to believe that there isn't better information available from Ford.
The 17" wheel will fit fine on the Mustang with the Pony Package, but don't drive very far on the spare wheel if you mount it on the rear. The limited slip differential is under a lot of stress because of the different diameters of the wheels/tires. I have the 17" spare with the MCA package. I plan to mount the spare on the front and move a front tire to the rear if I have a flat tire on the rear.

Quick Reply: Spare tire vs. tire inflator on 2012 V6?