Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Shift my gears!

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/13, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift my gears!

I've got my Mustang on order so I've been spending all my free time reading and trying to get a better understand of what the popular mods are for the 3.7s and all that fun stuff.

I've read a few threads regarding the manual transmission and sloppiness in the shifter. I definitely want to upgrade to a short throw shifter and upgrade the trans bracket to get rid of the sloppiness. I've read where a lot of people buy a short throw and then get rid of it for the MGW piece. The MGW shifter is beautiful, looks solid, has a great reputation, but the question I have is...is it overkill for me?

My car will be a DD that sees a few runs down the drag strip for fun, and perhaps some autocrossing. I ordered the car with 3.31s, and plan on a BAMA tune as well. For now I don't think I'll get a CAI or fool with the exhaust. If I don't do the MGW shifter, I have my eye on the Hurst short throw and the Barton shifter bracket doo-hickey.

I guess I'm looking for input from those that have upgraded shifters...

My VIN was assigned 10/17 and the dealership said it's scheduled for production the week of Nov 4th so I'd like to start ordering some parts!

Thanks!
Old 10/20/13, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

I was wondering the same thing but through my research I found that while the V6 transmission is different in gearing mostly than the GT its still a MT82. imo shifting in the V6 isn't as bad as the GT for most but still could be better by getting a quality aftermarket shifter. I'm going with MGW because I don't think smooth shifting can be overkill in any vehicle especially if you plan on tracking it from time to time. I'm sure Barton and Hurst are great shifters but from my research not in the same class as MGW which seems to be the best there is.

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 10/20/13 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10/20/13, 06:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I will be in the minority here but I say don't buy the mgw. I would say to drive the car for a bit and see what you think needs to be improved. Put your mods in the order of what bugs you most.
Old 10/20/13, 06:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I will be in the minority here but I say don't buy the mgw. I would say to drive the car for a bit and see what you think needs to be improved. Put your mods in the order of what bugs you most.
True true but I knew I wanted to do something about the shifter during test drive of a V6. I have the barton two post installed now and it helped a lot for DD but I don't think it was enough of an improvement for the track.
Old 10/20/13, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to confuse you more, I have a Steeda shifter & bracket and I like it a lot for daily driving. The Barton is loud and makes weird noises, and the MGW has a significant increase in NVH.

With the Steeda bracket, you get a choice of either the red bushing (sounds just as quiet as stock) or the black bushing (louder, but not nearly as loud as the other two). For a daily driver car where you don't want your shifter dominating your drive, I would go with the Steeda. The other shifters are great for track cars or boy racers, but IMO too much NVH for a street car.
Old 10/21/13, 12:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I'm just as confused now as I was before, but I bit the bullet and ordered the Hurst unit. I feel like not a lot of people go with it, but the price isn't bad and the negatives I read about it were no worse than the negatives about any other shifter out there.

As soon as I take delivery of my car and get the shifter installed I'll make a post.

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 10/21/13, 04:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
Well I'm just as confused now as I was before, but I bit the bullet and ordered the Hurst unit. I feel like not a lot of people go with it, but the price isn't bad and the negatives I read about it were no worse than the negatives about any other shifter out there. As soon as I take delivery of my car and get the shifter installed I'll make a post. Thanks for the input guys!
Honestly just drive your car and enjoy it for a week, then decide what you want to do to it. There's no "right" way to mod these cars.
Old 10/21/13, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6
Honestly just drive your car and enjoy it for a week, then decide what you want to do to it. There's no "right" way to mod these cars.
Yeah I had planned on driving it stock for a bit, but the mod bug has bit me hard.

How do you like your exhaust? Does it drone at highway speed?
Old 10/21/13, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I had planned on driving it stock for a bit, but the mod bug has bit me hard. How do you like your exhaust? Does it drone at highway speed?
Yeah this forum is the best/worst thing to join before delivery lol. Great recourse but it can skew your opinion of your new car before ya get it! As for my exhaust, I love it. Nice tone and louder than stock under acceleration. Honestly zero drone on the highway with the 2.73 rear.
Old 10/23/13, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor

Well I'm just as confused now as I was before, but I bit the bullet and ordered the Hurst unit. I feel like not a lot of people go with it, but the price isn't bad and the negatives I read about it were no worse than the negatives about any other shifter out there.

As soon as I take delivery of my car and get the shifter installed I'll make a post.

Thanks for the input guys!
The Hurst shifter is a good choice for the cost- it's hard to beat. However, I would definitely pick up a Barton shifter bracket too. The Bracket alone helps tremendously with unwanted gear lockout.

I've used the Barton bracket with the stock shifter, which worked well. My only complaint was the long throw of the stock shifter. Since you ordered the Hurst, the throw will be shorten, but you'll certainly want the Barton bracket to clean up the crispness of the shifts.

Let us know what you think once the Hurst is installed! I think you'll find it's much better than stock.

Shane