Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

SCT X4 Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 5/5/14, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile SCT X4 Tuner

I was finally able to get the new x4 at a very decent price.

I have a couple questions for the experienced peeps out there:

1) Can i just load the pre-loaded tune on there for my 14 v6 automatic?

2) I have light mods like CAI, Axleback exhaust, TB Spacer, 285 tires. At some point i will get a steeda/mpt tune (when i get headers/catback/driveshaft/gears). I know a custom tune will provide the best gains, but right now i just want to know if the preloaded 93 octane tune will work good for me without giving the car any trouble like knocking or stuff..

So anyone who has tried a preloaded tune from x3 or x4 tuners, please let me know.

Much appreciated! Thankyou
Old 5/5/14, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Or anyone loaded a preloaded tune from the X3?
Old 5/6/14, 10:17 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the tunes from Bama in my x3. Right now I am using the 93 octane Hybrid tune and I LOVE it. It does slam the gears pretty hard on my auto trans, but only at WOT from take off. For just every day driving, not super hard accel., it drives fantastic, just a lot more power.
Old 5/6/14, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

good to know man. Right now im only wanting to know how the car responded to the preloaded tune.

Though a custom tune sounds fantastic And i look forward to it as i keep modding
Old 5/8/14, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by iceD
I was finally able to get the new x4 at a very decent price.

I have a couple questions for the experienced peeps out there:

1) Can i just load the pre-loaded tune on there for my 14 v6 automatic?

2) I have light mods like CAI, Axleback exhaust, TB Spacer, 285 tires. At some point i will get a steeda/mpt tune (when i get headers/catback/driveshaft/gears). I know a custom tune will provide the best gains, but right now i just want to know if the preloaded 93 octane tune will work good for me without giving the car any trouble like knocking or stuff..

So anyone who has tried a preloaded tune from x3 or x4 tuners, please let me know.

Much appreciated! Thankyou

Hey,

The preloaded tune should be safe to run without any issues. SCT puts some decent preloaded tunes on the tuner, and I would have no hesitation with running one.

As stated by mcrider, and like it sounds you are already aware, getting a custom tune down the road will be the way to go. It will really wake the car up and truly get the most out of your mods.

For the time being though, I don't foresee any issues going with the preloaded option.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch with myself, or our Bama team below my signature. Best of luck!

-Dan
Old 5/8/14, 11:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 5/23/14, 02:00 PM

I am thinking about purchasing the X4 also. For everyone out there that already has it, with the Bama tunes do you see an increase in MPG? (I understand it is somewhat relative to the fact that if you are feeling more power you may press the the gas pedal down more, haha. So for an apples to apples comparison, if you were to drive conservative on the stock tune would you see an increase if you were to drive conservative on the 89 or 91 tune?)
Old 5/23/14, 11:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

yes you will get better gas mileage although itll only be like 1-2mpg difference.
Old 5/24/14, 07:46 AM

I found out today, after speaking with Steeda, that if you are concerned about warranty issues with your tune there is something that you can do. You can return the car to stock and drive the car for 3 computer cycles, each cycle is about 10 minutes in length. This will HELP mask the Steeda tune. I was concerned about warranty issues and I spoke with Steeda support this morning about this. So if you guys have issues with what I'm saying I got it straight from Steeda. Maybe someone who has more experience than I can tune in (forgive the pun) as well. But my info comes from Steeda support. I was concerned about warranty, myself. Do you guys know of a better way to hide a tune in case of warranty work? And I appreciate this site you guys give a lot of great info and help on here thank you.
Old 5/24/14, 10:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

if you just leave the tune on there its actually harder for them to tell that its been tuned than if you return it to stock. they look at you "key cycles since computer flash" or something like that and when you reflash the stock tune back on there it resets that value to 0 and then everytime you crank it up and drive it it will add 1 to that number. the problem with leaving the tune on it and taking it in for warranty work though is that if they reflash or update your computer then your sct device will no longer communicate with your car and will think that its a different vehicle since the tune that suppose to be on it will no longer be on the vehicle.

i hope that makes sense. i suck at explaining stuff.
Old 5/25/14, 11:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either way you could be screwed is the way it sounds.
Old 5/25/14, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think the message is clear: If you have concern about the car warranty then don't tune now. Can't be any simply than that.
Old 5/25/14, 03:08 PM

Maybe what I need to do is just get a small red "Do Not Reflash" plastic cover and stick it on and let it go. I can comment on one thing for sure, there is a world of difference between stock and Steeda 93 tune. The transmission shifts better, there is no "lag" in it any longer. It has nice tight shifts. I have an automatic and as you guys know you cannot go over 2k RPM's without the computer shutting you down. With this tune you could do so now if you want. However, having said that I don't want to punish my transmission like that. She has plenty of tire squealing power with out tearing up my transmission. I haven't had the tune in long enough to really tell if there is a mileage difference I want to get a few tank fulls in before I check to see. But I can say that the dash board computer tells me that I am getting right 18.8 mpg. But we all know those things are prone to lie. I do have to say most of that driving is on roads that are fairly clear and with speed limits of 55 or less. And plenty of red lights, time will only tell for sure. Thanks guys for the feed back.
Old 5/25/14, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2014GTCS
Maybe what I need to do is just get a small red "Do Not Reflash" plastic cover and stick it on and let it go. I can comment on one thing for sure, there is a world of difference between stock and Steeda 93 tune. The transmission shifts better, there is no "lag" in it any longer. It has nice tight shifts. I have an automatic and as you guys know you cannot go over 2k RPM's without the computer shutting you down. With this tune you could do so now if you want. However, having said that I don't want to punish my transmission like that. She has plenty of tire squealing power with out tearing up my transmission. I haven't had the tune in long enough to really tell if there is a mileage difference I want to get a few tank fulls in before I check to see. But I can say that the dash board computer tells me that I am getting right 18.8 mpg. But we all know those things are prone to lie. I do have to say most of that driving is on roads that are fairly clear and with speed limits of 55 or less. And plenty of red lights, time will only tell for sure. Thanks guys for the feed back.
im not sure what you mean by punish your transmission like that so please explain but i can say from experience that there is a gas mileage increase. although its not a dramatic change.
Old 5/25/14, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

there will never be a dramatic increase in mpg.

we are running v6 and v8....gas mileage will always be low. And a tune to help that even a little, will be very nice.

Last edited by iceD; 7/28/15 at 07:51 PM.
Old 5/26/14, 02:43 PM

Okay perhaps punish is the wrong word. I just don't feel that it is good for a transmission to be revved up to 3 or 4,000 RPM's and let go. As for gas mileage I'm 64 years old, I realize that there is no tooth fairy! But when I've been averaging around 16.5 to 17 when I make my usual drives and now I'm around 18.5 to 18.8 I would call that an increase in gas mileage. In fact I would call it significant! What would you call it?
Old 5/26/14, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

yeah. thats good. thats exactly what i was trying to say.
Old 5/26/14, 11:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Okay perhaps punish is the wrong word. I just don't feel that it is good for a transmission to be revved up to 3 or 4,000 RPM's and let go. As for gas mileage I'm 64 years old, I realize that there is no tooth fairy! But when I've been averaging around 16.5 to 17 when I make my usual drives and now I'm around 18.5 to 18.8 I would call that an increase in gas mileage. In fact I would call it significant! What would you call it?
i still dont see what you mean 3-4k and then let go. you arent suppose to rev it up in natural and the drop it into drive if thats what youre saying.
Old 5/27/14, 04:36 AM

That's pretty much what I'm saying. I hear or I should say I read on here where some of the guys are complaining because the new Mustang automatics cannot be revved beyond 2k before the computer shuts it down. With the tunes you now can rev them pretty much how ever much you please. My point being that I think that it is undue punishment to rev the transmission in neutral and slap it into drive just to burnout that can be done quite well without that. In the old days we use to hold the brakes and burnout with these new stangs they are plenty powerful enough to do a proper burnout.
Old 5/27/14, 08:28 AM
Bullitt Member

That's pretty much what I'm saying. I hear or I should say I read on here where some of the guys are complaining because the new Mustang automatics cannot be revved beyond 2k before the computer shuts it down. With the tunes you now can rev them pretty much how ever much you please. My point being that I think that it is undue punishment to rev the transmission in neutral and slap it into drive just to burnout that can be done quite well without that. In the old days we use to hold the brakes and burnout with these new stangs they are plenty powerful enough to do a proper burnout.
I've read that too about not being able to rev past 2k but never had that problem in my 13 auto

Quick Reply: SCT X4 Tuner