'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Question about shorty headers install

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/14, 09:51 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about shorty headers install

Hey guys,

I just ordered bbk shorty headers from AM. From what I can tell, it comes with some bolts, but not enough to replace all of them. Can I reuse the factory bolts or do I need to go get a new set?

Thanks
Spqr
Old 3/14/14, 11:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The bolts provided connect the mid-pipes to the headers. I just installed these and reused all of the nuts to secure the headers to the engine block. Be careful when you're installing hat you don't drop any, or you'll have to go buy some. Would also recommend stuffing a paper towel in the midpipe until you're ready to hook it up. I dropped a nut down mine an had I buy a special magnet tool to retrieve it.
Old 3/14/14, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Use the Ford gaskets, do not use the supplied BBK gaskets.
Old 3/14/14, 01:25 PM
Cobra Member

How many miles on your car/ how old is it. Use the factory gaskets. You may have to pick up some new ones bit they are not expensive.
Old 3/16/14, 01:06 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Use the Ford gaskets, do not use the supplied BBK gaskets.
I have only heard of one guy having issue with the bbK gasket, and there are many variables to what could have happened. 10K miles on mine, no issues what so ever. Several friends, with similar miles and no issues what so ever also.

Last edited by CVH; 3/16/14 at 01:07 PM.
Old 3/17/14, 01:33 PM
GT Member

65k miles. I won't reuse the existing gaskets. Are the bbk gaskets bad? What's the story? Gaskets aren't terribly expensive, so if I have to buy new ones it's not the end of the world. Thanks for the tip, cmac. That doesn't sound like a fun situation.
Old 3/17/14, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

There have been a few that have blown out just on the 3.7. They are included more as a marketing ploy than anything else. My installer called me and said he'd be happy to use them especially since he figured I'd be back to get gaskets put on again. He recommended using the stock ones.
Old 3/17/14, 06:09 PM

I called the local Ford Dealer and asked their opinion- they indicated that BBK gaskets were good as long as properly installed. One other tip from my install experience. Either I misread the instructions, or they weren't totally clear. I thought I could get away with removing the mid pipe from one side of the block, remove and replace the header, reconnect the mid pipe, then repeat on the other side. No such luck. Both sides of the mid pipe need to be disconnected to allow the mid pipe to drop enough to allow for removal of the stock manifold and installation of the shorty headers. When both headers are installed and torqued down, the mid pipe can the be reconnected. Since I didn't have a helper, I had to use a floor jack to carefully lift the mid pipe back up into position. Expect to go to auto zone or Sears to get some specialized tools. I bought a couple of ratcheting box end wrenches, as well as a socket wrench with a special hinged handle.
Old 3/18/14, 12:45 PM
GT Member

thanks for the replies. Cmac, thanks for the tips.
Old 3/24/14, 11:09 AM
GT Member

Should there be a gasket between the header and the cats? I dont' see one listed on fordparts.com, nor do I see one listed in the service manual for installation. This seems rather strange to me.
Old 3/24/14, 03:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by spqr
Should there be a gasket between the header and the cats? I dont' see one listed on fordparts.com, nor do I see one listed in the service manual for installation. This seems rather strange to me.
No there is no gasket between them. Look at how it is assembled on your car.
Old 3/31/14, 08:52 AM
GT Member

ajcruz, how do you tighten the passenger side bolts on the bottom? I started last night, but wasn't really able to reach any of the bolts to tighten things up. Thanks for the help.
Old 3/31/14, 09:07 AM
Cobra Member

ajcruz, how do you tighten the passenger side bolts on the bottom? I started last night, but wasn't really able to reach any of the bolts to tighten things up. Thanks for the help.
iirc two closet to the front bumper you get from up top using a 1/4 drive, extension and socket. The last bolt on the bottom you have to get from the bottom with an open end wrench. I removed the starter to help clear up some room. The passenger side is a B for sure.
Old 3/31/14, 11:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
I did 1 and 2 with a box end wrench and did 3 from the top flipping the wrench
Old 3/31/14, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I did 1 and 2 with a box end wrench and did 3 from the top flipping the wrench
Similar for me. That 3rd one was a major pain. Ii could get a small turn with an open end wrench from up top, then would pass the wrench to my left hand and do a small turn from underneath. Very slow going- patience is a must!
Old 3/31/14, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

long extenton and a swivel on u joint at the socket and u cant get the with no problem. took my like 5 mins to do all 4.
Old 3/31/14, 07:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Cmac72
Similar for me. That 3rd one was a major pain. Ii could get a small turn with an open end wrench from up top, then would pass the wrench to my left hand and do a small turn from underneath. Very slow going- patience is a must!
I just flipped the wrench from 1 side to the other, 1/6th of a turn each time
Old 4/1/14, 09:08 AM
GT Member

I used a box wrench for a while before deciding that it was the worst possible way to do it. I ended up picking up a ratcheting box wrench and it was the greatest decision ever!
Old 4/2/14, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Question. I just picked up a set of headers and was wondering if anyone has the Ford OEM gasket part number? I plan on replacing the OEM ones as I already have 42k on the stock ones. Also does anyone remember the box size wrenches needed?

Thanks!
Old 4/2/14, 11:17 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Question. I just picked up a set of headers and was wondering if anyone has the Ford OEM gasket part number? I plan on replacing the OEM ones as I already have 42k on the stock ones. Also does anyone remember the box size wrenches needed?

Thanks!
Hey Matt I have some OEM ones if you want. I never used them and decided to use the ones already on there since my Stang had 4K mi. at the time. I'll pm you in a min.

Quick Reply: Question about shorty headers install