Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/13, 12:30 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance mods

I'm not going to get exhausts and I want to get something for my 13 stang but I've been thinkin about a chip or an intake but idk what else I could do or which is more worth it for performance? Any thoughts?
Old 3/19/13, 02:48 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by michael 20
I'm not going to get exhausts and I want to get something for my 13 stang but I've been thinkin about a chip or an intake but idk what else I could do or which is more worth it for performance? Any thoughts?
Chip is so 90's bro. Leave the chips next to the pretzel bag. Lmao. Tuners bro. All performance tuners for our cars. Lol

How much cash you have to spend on mods right now?

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/19/13 at 02:49 AM.
Old 3/19/13, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Performance mods for these cars are the following things.

Gears, Drive Shaft, CAI + Tunes and tuner, Control arms, exhaust, Headers, Super Charger.

However I will have to state that some are worth more than others. I am happy with the HP output and the gearing of the Performance Package so I won't opt for those two. The Drive Shaft is the 1st on my list to remove the two piece DS and to remove my governor which is set at 114. The second on my list would be a Cold Air Intake (CAI) with some tunes and Tuner. Last but not least upper and lower control arms can really improve the handling of these cars.
Old 3/19/13, 11:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GreenCars
Performance mods for these cars are the following things.

Gears, Drive Shaft, CAI + Tunes and tuner, Control arms, exhaust, Headers, Super Charger.

However I will have to state that some are worth more than others. I am happy with the HP output and the gearing of the Performance Package so I won't opt for those two. The Drive Shaft is the 1st on my list to remove the two piece DS and to remove my governor which is set at 114. The second on my list would be a Cold Air Intake (CAI) with some tunes and Tuner. Last but not least upper and lower control arms can really improve the handling of these cars.
What kind of intake and tune would u recommend?
Old 3/19/13, 11:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

Chip is so 90's bro. Leave the chips next to the pretzel bag. Lmao. Tuners bro. All performance tuners for our cars. Lol

How much cash you have to spend on mods right now?
I have around $500 to spend
Old 3/19/13, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have not priced them out as of late, Some for the 3.7 do not need tune, however the one I would get would come with a Tune and tuner. I put on a JLT Performance on my 06 so I probably would do that again. Checkout American Muscle they have a wide assortment of CAI. But like I said for the 500 I would do the drive shaft. It is lighter than the 21 piece and you then could have the 114 limiter removed.
Old 3/19/13, 03:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have around $500 to spend
I would recommend you take 375.00 dollars and buy a Sct performance tuner from American Muscle. That should be your first performance mod in my opinion. Huge huge huge difference it will make. Freaking awesome it is. Save the remaining 125.00 until you have enough for a CAI.
Old 3/19/13, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

To save a couple bucks, I'd get the JLT CAI and switch to 93 octane. That will give you nearly the gains a tuner and CAI with a 93 octane tune will give you. A tuner will enhance things and give you the ability to change the rev limiter and governor etc, but this way you aren't messing with the ECU if you don't want to right off the bat.
Old 3/19/13, 07:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
To save a couple bucks, I'd get the JLT CAI and switch to 93 octane. That will give you nearly the gains a tuner and CAI with a 93 octane tune will give you. A tuner will enhance things and give you the ability to change the rev limiter and governor etc, but this way you aren't messing with the ECU if you don't want to right off the bat.
A cold air intake without being tuned will do nothing. You mind as well keep your factory air filter box. The SCT performance tuner is huge and would be highly noticeable gains over just 93 octane and no tune. The tune is going to change your shift points, throttle response and unlock a lot of hidden HP and torque that ford has tucked away. Using 93 octane and a Cai will not come close to what American Muscle will do for you using there tunes. No point in getting CAI if you don't have a tuner. Get the tuner first.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/19/13 at 07:51 PM.
Old 3/19/13, 07:58 PM

Air aid CAI and tuner for $589 on AM.com if you're willing to spend just a little more. It's worth it. I agree, CAI without a tune won't do much for you.
Old 3/19/13, 08:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by *MustangTherapy*
Air aid CAI and tuner for $589 on AM.com if you're willing to spend just a little more. It's worth it. I agree, CAI without a tune won't do much for you.
Airraid CAI AND tuner, that combo is a winner. I got them and love it. That's the way to do it if you can afford the 589. If not, the performance tuner is the way too go
Old 3/19/13, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
A cold air intake without being tuned will do nothing. You mind as well keep your factory air filter box. The SCT performance tuner is huge and would be highly noticeable gains over just 93 octane and no tune. The tune is going to change your shift points, throttle response and unlock a lot of hidden HP and torque that ford has tucked away. Using 93 octane and a Cai will not come close to what American Muscle will do for you using there tunes. No point in getting CAI if you don't have a tuner. Get the tuner first.
Hate to disagree with you here, but not all cars are the same. Don't believe me, watch the Bama video on Youtube. Even Mike from Bama says that a CAI makes as much power as a tune does WITHOUT a tuner:

I've owned my car since July 2010 and had it on the dyno several times. I know what mods do to it.
Old 3/19/13, 08:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Hate to disagree with you here, but not all cars are the same. Don't believe me, watch the Bama video on Youtube. Even Mike from Bama says that a CAI makes as much power as a tune does WITHOUT a tuner:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSx7MGTecE&sns=em

I've owned my car since July 2010 and had it on the dyno several times. I know what mods do to it.
One will maximize the performance of a CAI when used with a performance tuner. I'm aware that not all tuners require a CAI, I have the Airraid CAI and that's one that doesn't require a tune. However, that being said, having my Sct performance tuner maximizes the CAI's HP and torque gains. Since, the OP has the funds to cover the performance tuner then that is going to he a great first mod. By far, the two best noticeable mods I have done is the Sct performance tuner and 3:73 gears.
One can add the CAI but I don't think one will really notice much performance difference the way you will feel from the tuner. Now, if the OP does not want to risk loosing there warranty, then go for the CAI and wait to get tuner when warranty is up.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/19/13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 3/19/13, 08:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with you there. I was just tying to give him another option so he could get most of what he was looking for without necessarily spending $500. Now if he has $1500, he could do the gears, tune, intake and LCAs. Those are probably the most effective performance mods short of FI. I'm tuned too, and can say its worth it. It smooths out your powerband and can help with idle, improves MPGs just a bit....as well as he other features I mentioned
Old 3/19/13, 08:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I agree with you there. I was just tying to give him another option so he could get most of what he was looking for without necessarily spending $500. Now if he has $1500, he could do the gears, tune, intake and LCAs. Those are probably the most effective performance mods short of FI. I'm tuned too, and can say its worth it. It smooths out your powerband and can help with idle, improves MPGs just a bit....as well as he other features I mentioned
Totally agree there boss. 1500 and you could really do some stuff. Lol. I really love how the car shifts after the tunes were installed. I'm running a 91 Hybrid tune
Old 3/19/13, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Better clear it with your folks first.
Old 3/20/13, 12:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
Better clear it with your folks first.
What could I saw to get them to let me get the gt500 exhausts?
Old 3/20/13, 12:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What could I saw to get them to let me get the gt500 exhausts?
You are using a ford factory item for factory reliability and its a 50 state legal item. Generally, those are parents objections. Consider their objections and create answers to overcome them.
Old 3/20/13, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
You are using a ford factory item for factory reliability and its a 50 state legal item. Generally, those are parents objections. Consider their objections and create answers to overcome them.
lol. A ford factory item that is NOT designed for his car....I doubt his parents will let him put any exhaust on considering they made him take off the Roush's. Honestly OP, I suggest you just enjoy your car for a while and don't push it with your parents. Most of us on here would have killed for a brand new mustang at 17, stock or not.
Old 3/20/13, 11:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2012BLKV6

lol. A ford factory item that is NOT designed for his car....I doubt his parents will let him put any exhaust on considering they made him take off the Roush's. Honestly OP, I suggest you just enjoy your car for a while and don't push it with your parents. Most of us on here would have killed for a brand new mustang at 17, stock or not.
Good call man well said I'm just gonna enjoy it I'm pretty lucky!

Quick Reply: Performance mods