'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Ordered a Steeda Watts Link.

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/10, 06:36 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Talking Ordered a Steeda Watts Link.

In my opinion there are only two American made cars with 'history' worth talking about, the Corvette and the Mustang. I have heard of and read about the Watts Link for many years. The side streets in East Tennessee are very hilly and curvy. With the history of the Mustang and the Watts Linkage, i decided the two should go together I ordered a Steeda Watts Link form Sam Strano. I got to talk to him on the phone . There is a 2 week backorder (sold out) because they must be a lot of people ordering the Watts Link for their Mustangs.

I'll come back to this Thread after i install it and tell you all how it feels
Old 11/24/10, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, too, am seriously considering a Watts Link. I buy all of my suspension stuff from Sam Strano as well. I'm curious why you chose the Steeda version over the Fays2 version. I'm not questioning your choice per se. I'm asking you to educate me on your decision of why you thought the Steeda was worth the extra money. If it was aesthetics or name brand, I'm OK with that. If it was functional, I'd like to know that as well.
Old 11/24/10, 07:57 AM

The one made by Steeda is more quiet and looks like it might weigh a little less than the others. I do all my installs and i believe Sam said the Steeda one is a little more easy to put on.
Old 11/24/10, 08:14 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the order David!!

I'll do my best to get it to you in under 2 weeks. Just hard with the holiday and employees taking time off that they really deserve. And yes, I can't keep these things on the shelf!!

Thanks again,
Scott
Old 11/24/10, 03:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

David (Jason too), I appreciate the orders..... The last two days must have been Watts link days! I had 4 ordered, 2 Steeda's and 2 Fays2's!

I'm glad I could help you guys. Both are very good units, just with a bit different take on some details. No matter how you slice it I prefer these types over the diff-cover mounted version some others sell.

I think you'll find it worth your investment.
Old 11/24/10, 04:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sam strano
David (Jason too), I appreciate the orders..... The last two days must have been Watts link days! I had 4 ordered, 2 Steeda's and 2 Fays2's!

I'm glad I could help you guys. Both are very good units, just with a bit different take on some details. No matter how you slice it I prefer these types over the diff-cover mounted version some others sell.

I think you'll find it worth your investment.
Each person to his own desires but isn't the watts link a little bit of overkill for a street driven car?

I mean no offense to David or anyone else, lots of people just want all the tricks even if they won't use them to their limits. Just seems that a adjustable panhard would be plenty for most anything short of a racer.
Old 11/24/10, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Each person to his own desires but isn't the watts link a little bit of overkill for a street driven car?

I mean no offense to David or anyone else, lots of people just want all the tricks even if they won't use them to their limits. Just seems that a adjustable panhard would be plenty for most anything short of a racer.
Look at my avatar there Einstein. Who wants a blown V6?
Old 11/24/10, 06:01 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
Look at my avatar there Einstein. Who wants a blown V6?
If you race then fine, I couldn't care less.

My question was in reference to street driven only cars and wasn't directed at you as I didn't quote your post.

Guess you have a reading comprehension problem.
Old 11/24/10, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

If you race then fine, I couldn't care less.

My question was in reference to street driven only cars and wasn't directed at you as I didn't quote your post.

Guess you have a reading comprehension problem.
No sir, I don't have a reading comprehension problem. You did quote my name and included me in the "anyone else" comment. Saying you mean no offense and then essentially commit an offense is like me saying, "With all due respect jerk, you can't take a joke." See?

I do like your blown V6. It sounds awesome on YouTube.
Old 11/25/10, 06:03 AM

I might try Autocrossing this summer. The hilly roads i drive on everyday have curves just as sharp as in autocrossing. I feel the Watts Link will be a benefit to me for even everyday driving.
Old 11/25/10, 10:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

I don't think it is overkill for a street driven car and the folks that have shelled out 650+ don't think so either. People like David and myself just want to get the best out of their car. Thats why we bought SPORTS cars in the first place. A CAI and a tune is not nesscesary for a street driven car either, but almost every Stang driver has one. If you choose to keep your Mustang plain jane because you think most performance mods are overkill thats fine with us, we won't flame you. If Sam, Dario, Jack and others only had a customer base of racers they would probably be better off selling shoes. I love them, without those guys Mustang would be just another car.
Old 11/25/10, 11:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by David Young
In my opinion there are only two American made cars with 'history' worth talking about, the Corvette and the Mustang.
I agree with you 100% on that. I have a Watts on my short list, I got the money, and will probably pull the trigger in a few weeks. Looking forward to reading your review.
Old 11/25/10, 11:17 AM
Cobra Member

I think this is going to be a Spring-time mod for me.
Old 11/26/10, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Spoken like someone who's never had one....

You are free to think that, but you'd be incorrect. As much difference as adding a PHB makes on a 4-link car, the Watts makes almost that much difference again.

FWIW there aren't many solid axle rear cars out there these days... but many past and present use some sort of Watts linkage. Sure Australian V8 Supercars do. But so do Crown Victoria's, PT Cruisers!!!! Dodge Duragno's (the 2nd generation of them anyway, maybe the first too) have them. Chevy is using what they call a "z-link" on the Cruze. All those are vehicles with less performance than a Mustang, but a PHB is cheaper and those others are geared to demographics that care more about composure and ride stability (in the case of the Crown Vic, ride for Taxi's and Grandma, stability for police versions).

If you were to query anyone who's been able to compare a PHB to a Watts link, I'd be shocked if you found 1 out of 50 that would agree with you. I've run both and whenever I'm not bound by rules to run a PHB I'll have a Watts link (including on the street).
Old 11/28/10, 10:34 AM
GTR Member

never mind, did my own research

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 11/28/10 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11/30/10, 05:32 PM

never mind, did my own research
Ltngdrvr - Very nice engineering on the supercharged Mustang V6! The exhaust system also sounded great
Old 12/13/10, 01:43 PM

My Steeda Watts Linkage just got delivered today. Thanks! Steeda and Sam. I didn't open the box, wrapped and under my Christmas tree . I'll install it the first of the year, can't wait .
Old 12/13/10, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

My Steeda Watts Linkage just got delivered today. Thanks! Steeda and Sam. I didn't open the box, wrapped and under my Christmas tree . I'll install it the first of the year, can't wait .
David - You're really going to enjoy it. I've had my Fays2 on the car for a little over a week now and love it.
Old 12/13/10, 02:32 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Heck yeah! I'm going to have to take a trip to Clinton so that you can take me for a ride! I work with a guy whose 2008 Mustang is augmented with a Saleen watts link and the difference in handling and ride quality -- especially around bumpy corners -- is night and day!
Old 12/13/10, 03:57 PM

That would be great! MARZ. You, me and Ken (Siber Express) should have a Mustang hootenanny this spring.

jsnyng, can't wait to try this out. I didn't even know it was on its way. I was shocked to see it here. It feels like almost 50 pounds, but weight in the rear will get it closer to a 50/50 distribution

Thinking about the Koni struts and shocks, maybe the yellow (adjustable) ones. I can't find the part number for the piece needed for the mounting on the 2011's Seems like all the part numbers are the same between 09 and the 11's, according to the Ford parts web site.

Quick Reply: Ordered a Steeda Watts Link.