Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Lock-Right in a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/14, 08:56 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lock-Right in a Mustang?

I come from the world of 4 wheeling where traction is key, and your gearing numbers mean more than your HP numbers so I am familiar with the concept of LSDs, Lunchbox Lockers, Air Lockers, Spools, "Lincoln Lockers", etc. My question is, has anyone had any experience running a lunch box style Lock-Right Locker in a Mustang? For laughs I put a Lock-Right sticker on the Mustang that I had gotten to one day go on my trail rig when I got a locker for the front axle. Today I started wondering, do they actually make a Lock-Right for the 8.8 rear end? And it turns out they do... so anyone's thoughts/opinions/experiences are welcome. The thought of chirping tires in the parking lot from the locker ratcheting in turns kind of puts a smile on my face....but I don't like the idea of loosing streetability.

Last edited by DRaider90; 5/31/14 at 08:58 PM.
Old 6/2/14, 07:40 PM
V6 Member

I know I am not speaking a foreign language here... Will the ratcheting of the locker unlocking in turns make it un-streetable? I haven't driven a vehicle with the current generation lock right, but I don't think it would have major issues. I also wonder will it effect track style driving in cornering etc? Any input???
Old 6/2/14, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your Mustang already comes with a LSD so unless I'm missing something, must likely I am, why would you want to replace it with a Lock-Right?
Old 6/3/14, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you wouldnt see a bit of performance gain from it. as said above they come with lsd stock. you can upgrade it to carbon clutches but you still wouldnt notice a difference unless you put some stickier tires on.
Old 6/4/14, 05:26 PM
V6 Member

I did a little more searching and it seems when it comes to Mustangs and cars in general (versus trucks/4wd) the 3 primary diff set ups are open, lsd, and mini/full spool. For some reason I don't hear a lot about the Lunch Box Locker (or select-able such as air lockers) that falls in-between the LSD and Spool. I understand that concepts from what I have learned through years of 4 wheeling won't always directly apply, but I would at least think when talking traction most of it would. My understanding is:

Open: Very limited traction, only 1 wheel spins in most cases under load

LSD: More traction but not guaranteed because of the clutch system. You are relying on that the clutches will engage properly, and over time they wear out etc

Lunch Box Locker: When going in a straight line your diff is locked as if it were a spool meaning guaranteed traction, when you turn the locker ratchets/unlocks so the inner tire can spin at a different speed than the outer therefore preventing the wheel hop of a spool.

Select-able Locker: Open diff when locker isn't engaged allowing for turning etc, full locker (think spool) when engaged. Good for going in a straight line, but not so good in cornering like a spool. Something to consider I guess if you only opened it up at the drag strip, not the track etc also.

Spool: Locked 24/7, not good for turning etc but guaranteed traction when going in a straight line.

I have an LSD in my 88 Raider that I wheel, which is an improvement over an open diff but its still not guaranteed traction. A common practice when wheeling with an LSD (in the rear at least) is to use the parking brake to help lock up the clutches because sometimes the clutches won't engage right away. Now I know since 88' technology with LSD's has probably improved, but still in the end an LSD isn't guaranteed traction like a locker.

So are the current generation Traction-LOK LSD's that awesome that the lunch box locker isn't considered anymore in the car world? Or does the ratcheting of the locker loading/unloading in turns push people away from it, and that is why its not common? Lastly if the answer is the latter does a lunch box locker really take away from street-ability of the car, including traction in corners/bends/curves? Because that is my biggest concern, I would still like to enjoy going around curves and not end up off in the dirt/ditch/etc from the locker loading at a bad time and the rear end swinging out....

Last edited by DRaider90; 6/4/14 at 06:26 PM.
Old 6/4/14, 06:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't see how this would benefit a road vehicle...it's useful on an off road truck because there isn't the same amount of traction available and having the tires slip is not a big deal, on the road we obviously want them all on the ground and not slipping as much as possible.

I guess there would be benefits for a drag racing setup, but for a road car it just seems entirely inconvenient and likely very unsafe. The car already has a LSD in it, what more do you want it to do?

It sounds like you need to see just where you are (if you actually are...) losing traction, and go from there. If the tires aren't spinning at any point, what good will a locker do short of making the car undriveable in many scenarios? The stock LSD should do a good job of keeping both rear wheels under power for most scenarios, and if there is some slipping it would probably be best to get a better LSD, not a locker.
Old 6/4/14, 06:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
And I guess to further add to what I said, you are talking about two COMPLETELY different applications here. What works off road won't work on a street car. A mustang is just as suitable for off road as an off road vehicle is suitable for the street.
Old 6/4/14, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
And I guess to further add to what I said, you are talking about two COMPLETELY different applications here. What works off road won't work on a street car. A mustang is just as suitable for off road as an off road vehicle is suitable for the street.
May be the OP is looking to do this to his car.
Attached Images  
Old 6/4/14, 06:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I am aware of this, hence my prior comments stating that I know what applies in off-road applications doesn't directly transfer over to the 2wd/street applications.

As far loosing traction, I have had issues in the past which is what got me thinking about this. It is something I haven't seen done (on the newer Mustangs, I have found older cars like even a 69 BOSS 302 with a detroit locker), and I figured it would be worth trying to get more information about so I can make a more informed decision. I am maybe strange in the fact I like trying different things that aren't the norm per say, but if it ends up it isn't practical then its not worth pursuing.

I don't want to turn the Mustang into some weird 4x4/mustang hybrid, I am just throwing out of the box ideas out there on ways I could possibly improve traction.

Beyond all of the above if I went with a Lock-Right I would end up having to source a non-LSD (open diff) carrier. A No-Slip would be more ideal which is a little better (still a lunch box locker but a little more well mannered like an LSD), and it can be installed in a Trac-LOK carrier.

For now the LSD will do, but I am going to keep researching and just maybe find a viable traction solution that is street-able (and safe) outside of the LSD (or spool for that matter).

Last edited by DRaider90; 6/4/14 at 06:40 PM.
Old 6/4/14, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
My car has the Track Package and it has a Torsen Is that what you would like?

Seems to never loose traction in some cases it has to much.

Other wise you should still be able to put in a locker..
Old 6/4/14, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
My car has the Track Package and it has a Torsen Is that what you would like? Seems to never loose traction in some cases it has to much. Other wise you should still be able to put in a locker..
If more traction is what the OP wants then in my opinion he should concentrate first in upgrading the suspension components (better shocks, stuffers springs, LCA, etc&hellip and if he hasn't done it already, better tires. The LSD should be last down the list, way down.
Old 6/4/14, 08:34 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
My car has the Track Package and it has a Torsen Is that what you would like?

Seems to never loose traction in some cases it has to much.

Other wise you should still be able to put in a locker..
This is what came to mind for me as well. I believe if you want better rear-end traction then this might be what you are looking for. Better than the LSD and no clutches to wear. I also have the track pack on my car.

But as stated directly above, the suspension would also be a great place to start upgrading if you are not going in a straight line.
Old 6/4/14, 10:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by newpony
If more traction is what the OP wants then in my opinion he should concentrate first in upgrading the suspension components (better shocks, stuffers springs, LCA, etc&hellip and if he hasn't done it already, better tires. The LSD should be last down the list, way down.
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
This is what came to mind for me as well. I believe if you want better rear-end traction then this might be what you are looking for. Better than the LSD and no clutches to wear. I also have the track pack on my car.

But as stated directly above, the suspension would also be a great place to start upgrading if you are not going in a straight line.
I agree as we all have sounds like tires and suspension will take care of it. I have yet to want more traction on the street.

Where are you driving?