Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Just Bama Tuned Ma Stang

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/11, 04:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just Bama Tuned Ma Stang

Just input the 89S tune since I thought the car needed a little more on the low end. Cranked the car up to take it for a spin and SWEET JEEBUS it lunged backward when I put it in reverse! Backed it down the driveway and got it out on the main road. Let me just say that there was NO hesitation whatsoever when applying the gas from a stop. The car finally takes off like a Mustang should. Went up a hill and hit the gas. The throttle opened and with the combo of the Airaid intake, everyone walking on the sidewalk turned and stared. Heh.

Thanks American Muscle!
Old 8/1/11, 04:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally a reassuring post! Mine just came in today and I was getting second thoughts reading all the other threads. Did you load just the street tune? I got the 89 street and 93 for both performance and race. I'll probably never use the race, at least not right away.
Old 8/1/11, 04:56 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
Finally a reassuring post! Mine just came in today and I was getting second thoughts reading all the other threads. Did you load just the street tune? I got the 89 street and 93 for both performance and race. I'll probably never use the race, at least not right away.
Yep, I only loaded the street tune. I also got 89 performance and 93 race. From what I'm reading, the performance doesn't give alot of power to the low end and also makes the car shift a little quirky. I like to cruise at higher speeds anyway to save on gas so I will probably just use the 89 street tune for those '04 Civics with the huge black rear wings that want to engage me at a stop light.... Noobs.

Sometime in the future, I will probably go through 2 tank fulls of 93 octane and then load the race tune. I've heard alot of great feedback about it. Gives power to both low and high end. As long as you control it from a stop, it should be a blast.

Tomorrow morning, I'm installing the Borla Touring Axleback. I'll let ya' know how that goes after a test drive.

Last edited by BlueBeast; 8/1/11 at 05:01 PM.
Old 8/1/11, 05:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Right on! Keep me posted.
Old 8/1/11, 05:41 PM
Cobra Member

Awesome man! How easy was the install and directions provided by steeda?
Old 8/1/11, 05:44 PM
V6 Member

Bet it's nice not having it cut out at 113 anymore as well!
Old 8/1/11, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Iseador
Amen :P
Old 8/1/11, 05:47 PM
Cobra Member

Is that the stock top speed on the V6's?
Old 8/1/11, 06:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Awesome man! How easy was the install and directions provided by steeda?
No directions. Just plug it in and wait for the screen to tell you what to do. Very easy.

Heh.

Originally Posted by DaSFGiants4Life
Is that the stock top speed on the V6's?
Yep, it was anyway. On one of the screens it gives you some manual options. I chose them just to see what they were and the very last one was speed limiter on/off. It was pre-programmed to off, so I just left it as it was and pushed select.
Old 8/1/11, 07:27 PM
V6 Member

The whole reasoning behind the 113 top speed on the v6 is: A: because the factory tires on the base model are rated for 115 if I remember correctly, and B: it lowers insurance by a pretty substantial amount.
Old 8/1/11, 07:49 PM
V6 Member

The whole reasoning behind the 113 top speed on the v6 is: A: because the factory tires on the base model are rated for 115 if I remember correctly, and B: it lowers insurance by a pretty substantial amount.
I agree with A but I have to disagree with B. My insurance actually went up about $250.00 a year higher than what I was paying on a 2010 370Z. I checked around and got 3 other insurance quotes and they were all within ten bucks of one another. My insurance guy says it's because more people and a younger crowd drive Mustangs so they have a higher claim percentage.

My tires on the Pony Package were the 18" W speed rated Pirelli's, so I'm good there. I heard a rumor that the drive shaft is the other reason that the speed limiter is there. It's not supposed to be made to hold up under extreme speed. I've already been looking into an aluminum drive shaft on American Muscle.
Old 8/1/11, 08:35 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BlueBeast
I agree with A but I have to disagree with B. My insurance actually went up about $250.00 a year higher than what I was paying on a 2010 370Z. I checked around and got 3 other insurance quotes and they were all within ten bucks of one another. My insurance guy says it's because more people and a younger crowd drive Mustangs so they have a higher claim percentage.

My tires on the Pony Package were the 18" W speed rated Pirelli's, so I'm good there. I heard a rumor that the drive shaft is the other reason that the speed limiter is there. It's not supposed to be made to hold up under extreme speed. I've already been looking into an aluminum drive shaft on American Muscle.
I know the tire rating is one of the reasons they are capped so low. But my salesman actually is the one who told me that it was also for insurance purposes. Who knows, maybe he was wrong but I can tell you if it weren't for the 200$ a month jump in insurance for the GT I would have bought that instead of the v6!
Old 8/2/11, 09:09 PM

I know the tire rating is one of the reasons they are capped so low. But my salesman actually is the one who told me that it was also for insurance purposes. Who knows, maybe he was wrong but I can tell you if it weren't for the 200$ a month jump in insurance for the GT I would have bought that instead of the v6!
This is not the way it worked out for me! When I got the bill, the V6 is actually more expensive than the Shelby to insure so I checked with my agent who verified that the cars were rated accurately at least according to my company. Disappointing...
Old 8/3/11, 04:50 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by gofastguy

This is not the way it worked out for me! When I got the bill, the V6 is actually more expensive than the Shelby to insure so I checked with my agent who verified that the cars were rated accurately at least according to my company. Disappointing...
Ohh how I wish the GT wasn't so much higher for me! But then again I am under 25. I would have happily taken a 60$ more a month note to get the GT if insurance was reasonable.
Old 8/3/11, 07:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, the 6'er driveshaft isn't rated past the limiter.
Old 8/3/11, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by gofastguy
I was told the same thing from one agent when my insurance went up substantually going from a 2010 V6 to a 2011 V6. Some excuse about the brakes are better on the V8's and a better crash rating. Ha Ha Ha. I promply switched insurance companies and saved $1200 a year.
Another agent told me it went up so much because the alarm was not the full blown alarm. No motion sensor on mine.
I truely don't think they know. The agent with my new insurance just looked at thier rates and said, I just don't know what they were looking at.
Pays to shop around. I had been with the same company for over 20 years with no tickets or claims and got a much better rate with a new company.
Old 8/7/11, 06:02 PM
V6 Member

After a week with the 89street tune, I have now loaded the 89performance tune. Here's what I noticed.

1. The 89P tune shifts through the gears alot faster.
2. The 89P tune has no automatic lag whatsoever when slowing down to a yield sign and then hitting the gas. The transition is smoother than the 89S.
3. The 89S made a drone in the cabin when you barely touched the accelerator at all speeds. The 89P has a very brief drone at first and then it goes away as your speed increases.
4. The 89P got better gas mileage after resetting my readout, (17.5 mpg slowing and speeding up over speed bumps and stopping at stop signs) on my first test drive around my neighborhood compared to the 89S (14.1 mpg doing the same)

Personally, I like the 89P over the 89S. It just seems to be alot smoother so far. Tomorrow, I take the car on the highway and will report the differences I notice after a couple of days of daily driving to work and back.
Old 8/7/11, 06:43 PM
V6 Member

After a week with the 89street tune, I have now loaded the 89performance tune. Here's what I noticed.

1. The 89P tune shifts through the gears alot faster.
2. The 89P tune has no automatic lag whatsoever when slowing down to a yield sign and then hitting the gas. The transition is smoother than the 89S.
3. The 89S made a drone in the cabin when you barely touched the accelerator at all speeds. The 89P has a very brief drone at first and then it goes away as your speed increases.
4. The 89P got better gas mileage after resetting my readout, (17.5 mpg slowing and speeding up over speed bumps and stopping at stop signs) on my first test drive around my neighborhood compared to the 89S (14.1 mpg doing the same)

Personally, I like the 89P over the 89S. It just seems to be alot smoother so far. Tomorrow, I take the car on the highway and will report the differences I notice after a couple of days of daily driving to work and back.
Have you tried any of the higher octane tunes yet?
Old 8/7/11, 07:11 PM
V6 Member

Have you tried any of the higher octane tunes yet?
Not yet. I'll probably try the 93 Race tune in a few weeks.
Old 8/7/11, 07:19 PM
V6 Member

Not yet. I'll probably try the 93 Race tune in a few weeks.
Sweet, let me know if the performance/fuel increase is worth the higher octane!

Quick Reply: Just Bama Tuned Ma Stang