Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Intake resonator delete (V6)

Search this Thread

Old 5/11/14, 02:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Intake resonator delete (V6)

Has anyone deleted the resonator from the intake tube? It's gross looking, and I don't want it there. I'd also rather not spend the money on a CAI, as I'm not convinced they really offer any significant gains (and $300+ to just make the intake look better is absurd).

I'd prefer to buy a new tube that doesn't have the resonator, but I'm also thinking of just cutting it off and sealing it somehow as well. Do any products like this exist? I haven't been able to find anything...
Old 5/11/14, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could probably cut it off and cover the hole with fiberglass. You could also find a grommet that will fit the hole but it will need to be sealed up tight.

Before I got my CAI I also was figuring out how to cut it off. I found a lightly used CAI for a good deal - maybe think about that? On another forum I saw an Airraid for $160 - great deal.
Old 5/11/14, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I went used too. Got a good deal on CL for Borla ATAKs and an Airraid intake. A lot of these V6 guys end up upgrading to GTs so there are always deals to be had. Sometime just need to be patient. It helps to live in a big city too.
Old 5/11/14, 10:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

theres a guy on this forum that cut his stock intake baffle out and put fiber glass over the hole. i dont remember who it was though. you could do that if you would like. but a CAI does offer hp gains and it sounds awesome but i understand that there are a good bit of people that really dont care much about the performance. theres companies that make just the intake tube for some trucks and some cars. i know airaid makes them for like the silverados but i dont think they make them for the 2011+ mustangs. you could always cut your intake tube right behind the maf sensor and then go to your local auto parts store and buy a intake tube and a coupling that will fit over the stock one and over the throttle body and just do it like that.
Old 5/12/14, 06:28 AM
GT Member

SLP is making such a tube for the V6 Camaro but not for the Mustang. I sent them a mail but did mot get a reply yet. I was looking for exact same thing.
Finally decided to go with the K&N version, I don't like the open filter. The engine revs much better and I think the acceleration is better as well.
Old 5/12/14, 06:37 AM
Cobra R Member

I might see what the used market has to offer. At the end of the day I'd really just prefer a cheap tube, though.

I've thought about modifying the stock tube, I'll have to see what I can do. I think I can get away with cutting off the resonator, then using that plastic to plug the hole and just weld that in there. The trick would be getting the curve of the tube just right...after sanding it smooth you'd probably barely be able to tell anything was there.

I might give that a go if I have a couple days to experiment with it.
Old 5/12/14, 08:36 AM
GT Member

I had the same idea but didn't find anything that would fit. If you get it done let me know or even post some pics.

I got my stock intake in the garage and like to try something out but I have no idea to get it right. Any idea where to get a tube with the right diameter?

Last edited by SpeedyJoe; 5/12/14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 5/14/14, 05:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Wouldn't Airaid U-Build-It parts work?

https://www.airaid.com/U-Build-It_intake_systems.aspx
Old 5/15/14, 06:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

A CAI will pay for itself after just a few years because it will increase your MPG by 2-3 MPG. I wish I had bought mine at 0 miles instead of 20,000 miles.
Old 5/15/14, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You could get a knock off eBay one

http://m.ebay.com/itm/380693707619?nav=SEARCH
Its about a third of the price of Airraid or the other name brands.
Old 5/31/14, 09:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I might see what the used market has to offer. At the end of the day I'd really just prefer a cheap tube, though.

I've thought about modifying the stock tube, I'll have to see what I can do. I think I can get away with cutting off the resonator, then using that plastic to plug the hole and just weld that in there. The trick would be getting the curve of the tube just right...after sanding it smooth you'd probably barely be able to tell anything was there.

I might give that a go if I have a couple days to experiment with it.
Im looking to go the exact same route. I sold my CAI and got a KN drop in. Power is exactly the same as the CAI but doesn't have the sound. I j7st want thr sound now.
Old 6/2/14, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

CAI pays for itself. I saw an overall 2-4 MPG increase. Takes a few years, but probably the only mod that would pay for itself with time.

I wish I bought mine when I first got the car
Old 6/2/14, 06:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rando
CAI pays for itself. I saw an overall 2-4 MPG increase. Takes a few years, but probably the only mod that would pay for itself with time.

I wish I bought mine when I first got the car
yep it and the tune are the only things ive done to mine that actually helped gas mileage noticeably. im pretty glad i got mine. some people dont believe in them i see but it really does help with hp and mpg. i might be expensive for the little hp gain but with these engines theres not a whole lot of power to gain. the stock parts do very well but there is still a little room for improvement.
Old 7/12/14, 10:37 AM
GT Member

I just found out that airaid is making an intake tube (450-945) to replace the factory one. The online shops are asking 105$ for it. I think I'll try it and replace my K&N CAI with that one.
Old 7/15/14, 01:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here ya go, here's a link to another forum where the OP installed the Airaid intake tube. Came out pretty nice and is CARB exempt

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...installed.html
Old 7/16/14, 02:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Ugh, $100 for a tube? Might as well just get a whole intake if you're already shelling out that much...
Old 7/16/14, 02:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Also, I wonder if they make two different tubes, one for manual and one for auto (the manual only has one hose running to that tube, not two). I'd hate to have to cap off a tube.

As much as I hate to say it, I think this is still the best option for me. I'm pretty convinced any of the "cold air" intakes will just be hot air intakes with the way I drive (lots of city driving). I'd love the extra sound from a full intake but I think I'll end up losing power with one.
Old 7/16/14, 08:25 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Ugh, $100 for a tube? Might as well just get a whole intake if you're already shelling out that much...
That's about a $150+/- savings depending on what CAI you're looking at or comparing. Hey, whatever floats your boat, just tryin' to help.

Last edited by StangDawg; 7/16/14 at 08:28 AM.
Old 7/16/14, 09:21 AM
GT Member

I just paid 105$ for it, I had a k&n installed and that is nothing iI would want. The sound isn't that great and there is no power gain. I'd even say at low rpm you loose power, at higher rpm's it might be different?? Definitely not worth the money (the k&n cai)!
Old 7/21/14, 01:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
You could get a knock off eBay one

Video Link: http://m.ebay.com/itm/380693707619?nav=SEARCH

Its about a third of the price of Airraid or the other name brands.
Too funny. I've been this route several times. I had a Bama 91 Race tune and 3.31 gears and KandN drop in filter to start. I bought an Injen straight tube intake first. Got it used for $125 and it sounded great but I felt real sluggish under 3,500 rpm and hardly noticed the pick up in the higher rpm after about 15 mins of driving. Engine bay temp may have been a factor. So I sold the Injen intake. (Now I didn't change my tune from when I got the Injen intake. I sold the intake and reinstalled my factory intake with the Injen intake Bama tune.) Stock intake was so much more responsive and I really felt the pick up down low a lot more. After a couple months I missed the sound I had so I bought an Airraid plastic tube intake. Figured the plastic would shield the heat better. Felt better power up high for longer but again felt very boggy and throttle was not as responsive as my stock intake. (I had also installed a new tune for the Airraid just after installing.) After a couple months I just got tired of the feeling and went back to stock...again much better down low pick up and throttle response improved greatly.

After selling the Airraid some few months ago I'm missing that sound but just can't justify paying over $100 for metal tubes that retain heat and rob me of power. I will try one of these Ebay knock offs after I install my shorties. Maybe the shorties will help. Other than that I feel it's a waste to get an intake until after youve made some upgrades to exhaust. It's the only thing I haven't done ( 2012 GT H pipe are my only changes after selling the Airraid and returning to stock intake and KN drop in filter.) I do miss that burbble I'd get when I had an intake though.

Quick Reply: Intake resonator delete (V6)