Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

GT style grille mounted lights on V6 - wiring, options, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/14, 03:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
GT style grille mounted lights on V6 - wiring, options, etc.

Looking to start some discussion regarding the grille mounted lights found on the GT models. I'm not particularly happy with the light output of the high beams on my V6, I'd like some more light and I think the grille mounted lights can offer that.

I do have some questions, though. How are the stock lights aimed? I'm looking for more light at close/medium distances, with a lot of spread left/right. These will only be on with the high beams. I don't want them aimed super low, can the stock lights be aimed or are they fixed? I'm also looking for decent light output, how much light do the stock LED bulbs put out?

I'm looking mostly at the Starkey kit as it uses OEM parts. I'm curious about wiring, though. I DON'T want these to come on with the fogs. I want them to come on with the high beams. I don't think it should be too difficult to wire that up, anything else I should consider with that arrangement?

My primary worry is that these will end up more like fog lights then driving lights. Can anyone who has these say whether or not they will work well for more light at medium distances?
Old 6/9/14, 03:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Also how are the other light kits, like the Raxiom? I'm worried about quality...but I'd really prefer a non OEM GT grille, I like some of the aftermarket styles better.

ETA - also how are the light housings attached? Just mounted to the grille? I'm thinking about sourcing some OEM light housings and just buying some aftermarket grille with cutouts for the lights. No other hardware is required to mount them, correct?

Last edited by Joeywhat; 6/9/14 at 03:57 AM.
Old 6/10/14, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

Since you want it to come on with the high beams versus the fog lights, you'll have to make some modifications to the wiring. The wiring is setup to install very easily when used as fog lights, but you'll definitely have to make some substantial tweaks for it to work with the high beams.

Since you only want them to come on with the high beams, you may want to go with our 3506 kit which is less expensive but doesn't have the switch/ full wiring harness. You can read about it here:
http://www.starkey-products.com/must...t-v6-gtcs-2013

This way, you could just put together a simple wiring harness to turn the fog lights on when the high beams kick on.

The grille mounted LED lamps can be aimed. Since they are up higher on the bumper, they do throw more light out front than your average fog light. But, they are still designed to be a driving light/ fog light. The LED bulbs Ford uses are very powerful.

The lamp housings are attached to the car itself. In older model Mustangs, the GT fog lights always mounted to the grille. But in 2013-14 models Ford switched it around so that the lamps actually mount to a bracket built into the bumper support. This mounting point is there even if your car didn't come from the factory with grille-mounted fog lights.

Hopefully this helps. I'm sure someone else with the kit can chime in and give you their experiences.

Jason
Old 6/10/14, 10:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks Jason. Is it possible to order just the light housings (with bulbs) and basic wiring instead of the kits with the grille included?

I'm also wondering how to tap into the high beam, I've never tried this with a car that has bi-xenon lights. Is there still a dedicated high beam wire to tap into for the relay?
Old 6/11/14, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes sir, definitely! We sell all of those parts separately. Just let me know exactly what you need and I can get you a price (email is usually best - sales@starkey-products.com)

You'll want to run a separate relay for the fogs and pull power directly from the battery. I don't know the specific wire color you'll need to tap into for signal from the high beams, but you should be able to determine that easily by looking at wiring diagram.

Take care,

Jason
Old 6/11/14, 11:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks Jason, I'll shoot you an email when ready. Was planning on wiring it the correct way (relay + power from battery) so that's not an issue.