Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Flomaster II (Axle Back) Just Installed = ?mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/13, 06:17 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
My two cents - listen to various videos on YouTube, and get what's good for you. For me, stock was too quiet on my 2011 GT. But I did not want obnoxious noise for my neighbors to hate me. I went with Ford Racing GT500 SVT axle-back mufflers and resonator delete. The sound is exactly what I wanted...deeper, louder, meaner, but absolutely no drone at any RPM, and quiet cruise on the highway. Wide open throttle is fantastic, too. Here's two short videos I made, hope this helps you! Let us know how you make out, good luck.

Old 11/11/13, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
My two cents - listen to various videos on YouTube, and get what's good for you. For me, stock was too quiet on my 2011 GT. But I did not want obnoxious noise for my neighbors to hate me. I went with Ford Racing GT500 SVT axle-back mufflers and resonator delete. The sound is exactly what I wanted...deeper, louder, meaner, but absolutely no drone at any RPM, and quiet cruise on the highway. Wide open throttle is fantastic, too. Here's two short videos I made, hope this helps you! Let us know how you make out, good luck. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mImafuMGVk Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMsTaizTklo
Yep, that's awesome, I don't have the GT though, so I'm not sure how different it'd sound? I listened to a lot of videos before I went with these, none of them mentioned the drone though. I kinda feel like a ^*+% for trying to make my 6 sound like a GT , so I'm getting what I deserve! Lol
Old 11/11/13, 06:42 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by SleepPro68
Yep, that's awesome, I don't have the GT though, so I'm not sure how different it'd sound? I listened to a lot of videos before I went with these, none of them mentioned the drone though. I kinda feel like a ^*+% for trying to make my 6 sound like a GT , so I'm getting what I deserve! Lol
---
Don't feel bad, you want your Mustang to be unique, and sound cool, nothing wrong with that. Ya know, some V6 owners actually go with GT axle-backs (2011+). Try finding videos of that on YouTube, and if you like it, I bet you can find a used pair of OEM GT mufflers real cheap. You may have your solution!
Old 11/11/13, 07:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OP, I only had interior drone when my 3:73 gears , long tube headers and off road x pipe were installed. In order to combat the interior drone, I had two glass pack resonators welded on. That made a huge difference with the drone , however never had any drone with just the Force II axle backs installed.
Old 11/11/13, 08:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Rob,
Manual or automatic with force 2?
Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.
Old 11/12/13, 02:41 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Roush exhaust with some glasspack welded in. Saw a vid from BigD15 on youtube and oh MAN is sounded nice
Old 11/12/13, 06:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Roush exhaust with some glasspack welded in. Saw a vid from BigD15 on youtube and oh MAN is sounded nice
If you get Roush axle backs you mind as well just go with no mufflers. There just like a straight thru design with like no baffles inside. Lol. There way to annoying in my opinion. Not a fan of the Roush mufflers, just go straight pipe if that's the case and save money from getting Roush axle backs.
Old 11/12/13, 08:21 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
If you get Roush axle backs you mind as well just go with no mufflers. There just like a straight thru design with like no baffles inside. Lol. There way to annoying in my opinion. Not a fan of the Roush mufflers, just go straight pipe if that's the case and save money from getting Roush axle backs.
Well thats the point of glasspacks. Really melʻows it out
Old 11/12/13, 09:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by CCTking

Well thats the point of glasspacks. Really melʻows it out
Oh heck yes they do bro, lol but just go straight pipes and glasspacks instead of one buying the Roush axle backs. In my opinion Roush axle backs don't make the car sound more aggressive they just make a bunch of noise, and annoying noise at that. Lol
Old 11/12/13, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by rriddle3
If it shows up cruising at 1700 - 2000 rpms, then it's drone and no, it will not go away.
Went for a cruise with this in mind today. I'm confused about what some are experiencing. I cannot even hear or feel the exhaust at 1700-2k rpm. The stock was louder in this scenario.

I have an automatic and the force 2 only wakes up when getting on it hard. The initial startup is somewhat loud and rumbles a bit... However, quiets down considerably.

I've seen videos of this "popping and crackling." I've never experienced this either. The mufflers sound like. "High revs" rather than the v8 rumble. (Of course) if I can describe it.

I bought mine used but they looked new. However, I still repainted them because of salt here.

The rolled tips and bolts are very tight. I seldom get water in them . Even after a wash, the drain holes do their job.

I'm starting to think these mufflers have a break in period?!? I wouldn't mind some cabin noise to remind me why I bought them.
Attached Thumbnails Flomaster II (Axle Back) Just Installed = ?mistake?-image-1402606035.jpg  
Old 11/12/13, 03:11 PM
CVH
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Went for a cruise with this in mind today. I'm confused about what some are experiencing. I cannot even hear or feel the exhaust at 1700-2k rpm. The stock was louder in this scenario.

I have an automatic and the force 2 only wakes up when getting on it hard. The initial startup is somewhat loud and rumbles a bit... However, quiets down considerably.

I've seen videos of this "popping and crackling." I've never experienced this either. The mufflers sound like. "High revs" rather than the v8 rumble. (Of course) if I can describe it.

I bought mine used but they looked new. However, I still repainted them because of salt here.

The rolled tips and bolts are very tight. I seldom get water in them . Even after a wash, the drain holes do their job.

I'm starting to think these mufflers have a break in period?!? I wouldn't mind some cabin noise to remind me why I bought them.
Thank you, I too would like a little more out of my exhaust, I am running gt500s on a '13 3.7L. They sound great @ WOT, but would like a little more rumble at idle. I am considering removing the factory resonators, but afraid I may get a drone on the highway.
I am running cai, 73mm tb,BBK shorty headers, frpp pipe, gt500 muffs.
Old 11/12/13, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by CVH
Thank you, I too would like a little more out of my exhaust, I am running gt500s on a '13 3.7L. They sound great @ WOT, but would like a little more rumble at idle. I am considering removing the factory resonators, but afraid I may get a drone on the highway. I am running cai, 73mm tb,BBK shorty headers, frpp pipe, gt500 muffs.
Nice mods! You running a tune?
Old 11/12/13, 05:05 PM

OP, I only had interior drone when my 3:73 gears , long tube headers and off road x pipe were installed. In order to combat the interior drone, I had two glass pack resonators welded on. That made a huge difference with the drone , however never had any drone with just the Force II axle backs installed.

How's it possible that we've had such different experiences? The best comparison I can give is like driving on the highway with only 1 window down...
Old 11/12/13, 05:07 PM

Rob, Manual or automatic with force 2? Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post.
Manual...sounds awesome when it's being pushed, but on the highway in anything other than 3rd gear, forget it
Old 11/12/13, 05:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by SleepPro68

How's it possible that we've had such different experiences? The best comparison I can give is like driving on the highway with only 1 window down...
Perhaps your ear drums are more sensitive to the frequencies of the mufflers drone. Perhaps you have a heightened hearing which allows you to pick up certain pitches more than me. I'm just guessing there. Lol.

When my car was factory with just my Flowmaster force II axle backs, there was no drone. At cold start up the axle backs have a great rumble and tone and after a few seconds the idle does mellow out. At WOT they are quite aggressive and even when accelerating normal they have a good tone.
Old 11/12/13, 05:27 PM

Perhaps your ear drums are more sensitive to the frequencies of the mufflers drone. Perhaps you have a heightened hearing which allows you to pick up certain pitches more than me. I'm just guessing there. Lol. When my car was factory with just my Flowmaster force II axle backs, there was no drone. At cold start up the axle backs have a great rumble and tone and after a few seconds the idle does mellow out. At WOT they are quite aggressive and even when accelerating normal they have a good tone.
We both have autos. I wonder if that is part of it? OP: Sounds silly but make sure your tips are on properly. Example: imagine playing a trumpet with a tiny hole right below the bell opening. Sound will come out but how will it sound? Check your mufflers where the tips meet. Is any rust forming around that edge, water pooling inside, can you wiggle the tips and so on. There's a guy here on the forum that bought Saleen heritage mufflers and installed them with no tips. After his ears bled at startup he posted his concern, took our advice and installed new properly fitting shiny chrome tips...He is currently enjoying his sweet sounding exhaust.
Old 11/12/13, 05:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

We both have autos. I wonder if that is part of it? OP: Sounds silly but make sure your tips are on properly. Example: imagine playing a trumpet with a tiny hole right below the bell opening. Sound will come out but how will it sound? Check your mufflers where the tips meet. Is any rust forming around that edge, water pooling inside, can you wiggle the tips and so on. There's a guy here on the forum that bought Saleen heritage mufflers and installed them with no tips. After his ears bled at startup he posted his concern, took our advice and installed new properly fitting shiny chrome tips...He is currently enjoying his sweet sounding exhaust.
Funny you mention tips. I don't have the tips that came with the Flowmaster Force II axle backs. I was getting horrible crackling and popping sounds coming from the muffles when the air was being sucked back in. After taking it to a muffler shop the issue was the tips were not draining out any of the water. The water would shoot out from the mufflers and just pool inside the tips. The water was being sucked back down into the mufflers when letting off the gas pedal. The tips did not have any holes for draining , they were not angle cut and the end was rolled upwards. All the water would just pool there and not drain. We took the tips off, revved the engine up a few times and no more crackling from the mufflers.

I wound up just ordering new Flowmaster angle cut straight tips and no more crackle issues. Also, my axle backs had no hole drilled in the bottom to allow water to drain out of them and dry the baffles out. I drilled a small hole in each of the mufflers to allow drainage and what a huge difference in sound it makes. Prior to these holes the mufflers were holding tons of water inside. Its amazing after driving the car and park it in my garage how much water drains out the muffles from those drilled holes. You will be amazed at the water level inside the baffles and it will effect the tone greatly.

OP try that trick of drilling a small hole on the bottom side muffler to drain water out.
Old 11/12/13, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I've been needing to look underneath and see how they are doing. Lots of rain here. Sure enough, they look great after a year. No rust at the seams or inlet pipe. Drain holes doing a good job.)
Attached Thumbnails Flomaster II (Axle Back) Just Installed = ?mistake?-image-2425025607.jpg   Flomaster II (Axle Back) Just Installed = ?mistake?-image-5599425.jpg   Flomaster II (Axle Back) Just Installed = ?mistake?-image-957801767.jpg   Flomaster II (Axle Back) Just Installed = ?mistake?-image-512675676.jpg  
Old 11/12/13, 06:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You'd save yourself a little money doing it yourself. It's about a 1-10 when it comes to doing something with your hands, washing your hands is probably the only easier task. And as others have said, drone starts from about 1500-2000 or so. If it sounds like a humming high pitched noise then it is probably drone.
Old 11/12/13, 07:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What size drill bit should I use...my Ford Racing mufflers don't have the drainage holes but the stock ones did...not on the bottom, rather on the back side.....

Quick Reply: Flomaster II (Axle Back) Just Installed = ?mistake?