Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Dual Exhaust Install (mess detailed)

Search this Thread

Old 5/22/10, 11:06 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dual Exhaust Install (mess detailed)

Just an FYI for everyone, we're going to be working on a full write-up of a true dual exhaust install, and after today's fiasco, we're going to hold off on offering a "bolt-on" kit for anyone looking to duplicate this at the moment, although if you're just looking for the pieces to take to your local muffler shop, we can definitely help with that.

First, when complete, this car sounds cool !! It isn't like our GT was in terms of sound, but we knew that going into the job, so no worries there. This is a Pypes / Flowmaster mix, using the Pypes X-pipe, a fabricated driver's side mid-pipe, and Flowmaster 17410's for the mufflers out back.

Fitment... The x-pipe should have been expanded on the ends, not equal diameter. A muffler shop has no problem expanding and welding it together, but in your driveway this would have been no fun. We'll be talking to them directly about this to see if they can't improve on that design a bit. Also, there are unused hanger tips on the X-pipe that they recommend you buy the hangers from Ford if your car doesn't have them, but we elected to just knock them off, since the factory exhaust was not supported there either.

The V8 mufflers do not hang correctly - the passenger one could not bolt up to the stock hangers and pipe and fit, and the driver's side obviously needed work since there were no hangers there or a pipe. The passenger, which was "close", still hit the bumper, as it seemed it wanted to be outboard on exit of where the bumper needs it to be. Again, I think this was due to trying to re-use the OE mid-pipe on the passenger side.

Ok, see attached photos - all told, there's about 900.00 in the exhaust, bumper, mufflers, etc. including the labor to weld it all up and seal it nice, but your price may vary depending on what the muffler shop gets. The way this ended was nice, but I would not recommend it as a "driveway" install, as you need a lift and a welder to properly attack this given the components used in our setup. I'll be doing more homework on this to see what other kits are available, and how well they go on the car compared to what we have installed here.
Attached Images     
Old 5/22/10, 11:32 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
having a "fiasco" every now and then comes with being a car guy.
Old 5/22/10, 11:40 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Yeah, but... considering we do everything we can when we make parts for people's cars to avoid that, we just wish that other manufacturers would do the same... In fairness, the mufflers were for a GT, so I understand having to tweak that, but the X-pipe should have been a bolt-in arrangement, there was no need for spreaders and such to get that to work.

But yes, it does come with the territory - if we didn't enjoy doing it, we'd be out gardening or something on a Saturday!
Old 5/22/10, 12:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Have any more pics of that car? Interesting paint you got going on there. Also looks good with the 05-09 wheels. Video clip?
Old 5/22/10, 12:14 PM
Legacy Tms Member

LOL - yes there are more pictures, no, currently we aren't posting them.

Looking to "unveil" more or less at Mustang Week this year, the car is nowhere near visually close yet to what we want. At that time you'll start seeing a lot more of this car.

On the wheels, yes they are 05 GT take-offs from our previous car - just an interim wheel to keep it off the ground until suitable "shoes" can be procured.

Video clip for sound purposes - we'll put it on the "to-do" list for our new video section of our website that we're working on. Of course when I have it I'll cross post it here. As a description - car sounds like a euro tuner car now, think BMW 3 series sound, especially when you open it up on the highway on-ramps and such. Definitely has made it more fun to drive than it was, surprising as that may sound. Power difference - hard to say if the X-pipe made much difference - maybe a little bit in the midrange to upper RPMs, as the car did get up to speed pretty well today compared to past "snooze" events while merging onto I-95.
Old 5/22/10, 12:32 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X-pipe on the V6 is for sound only since the exhaust pulses don't overlap like a V8, no HP to be gained.

In the pics it looks like the tips need to be longer or maybe the muffler needs to be adjusted further back, looks like the exhaust could discolor the paint on the inner edge of the valance opening.
Old 5/22/10, 12:57 PM
Legacy Tms Member

On the power - agreed that there is little to be gained there, but it does lower the potential backpressure since you've got 2 exit paths now instead of one - again the power difference is minimal, although any gains at all help this V6...

On the bumper - we'll have to see how it plays - I don't think it will be an issue, but if it becomes one I can deal with it at that point. Again, we were trying to see how "bolt-in" the pieces were, and obviously, they are not. Without fabbing a new passenger side mid-pipe to bring the muffler further "back" and further modifying the driver's side (again outside the realm of most home mechanics) this is not going to happen in the driveway.

When we started offering the 17410 kit for the 05 GT, it was a different story. Bolted right up in under a half hour, fit and worked like a charm. Again, I'm planning to get in touch with the Pypes people and see what is up with their part. The flowmaster pieces, I expected some minor adjustments, but not what we ran into.

Did it all work out in the end - yes.

Could it be done by any shop with sufficient skill and time - yes.

Is it what we are known for offering to our customers - no.
Old 6/7/10, 07:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did that on my 06. I purchased the FRP X pipe, drivers side GT mid pipe, clamp, and two take off GT mufflers. I didn't try to install the X pipe since I do not have a lift or pit. I did install the brackets and cut the opening in my bumper. The rest i had done at a muffler shop. The X pipe came with clamps to secure it to the cats. The ends of the x pipe were flaired to fit over the extising pipes, but the guy at the shop didn't like the fit so he welded them on. Everything else was just a bolt on deal. Probably the hardest part was cutting the bumperto match the other side. The only issue I have is the passenger side sticks out a little more than the drivers. i guess this is because I used the v6 mid pipe instead of switching to a GT. I might fix that one day, otherwise It turned out pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Dual Exhaust Install (mess detailed)-img_3718a.jpg