Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

borla touring or s-type axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/13, 12:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
borla touring or s-type axle-back

hey guys I was just wondering if anybody in los angeles had either of these exhaust pipes on a 2011-2013 v6. I've narrowed it down to one of them, but I cant decide because ive never heard them in person. the touring seems to be what I want, something not too loud, but louder than stock, but im worried it might be too quiet. same story but opposite with the s-type.. worried it might be too loud. and I don't want to pay so much and end up with something I don't like.

so anybody nearby with either of these exhausts?

ps. ive seen MANY youtube vids... but I know it wont be the same as actually hearing them in person.

EDIT: scratch that, make that anybody with any exhaust on a 2011-2014 v6.. I rarely ever see anybody around here into mustangs

Last edited by roadrunner; 7/8/13 at 12:31 PM.
Old 7/8/13, 05:02 PM
Cobra Member

I can speak for the V8, stype is loud at start up and WOT. Much louder than the touring. Probably somewhat similar on the V6.
Old 7/8/13, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
I myself like the Touring, either the Borla Or Ford Racing, to my ears the S type is to loud
I know the only difference between the Borla S type and the FRPP Sport are the tips (Borla makes them for Ford), and the FRPP Sport is not legal in California because of Drive by noise.
Then again I am going with the GT500's on mine, with the Short Tube headers and X-Pipe anything else would be a little loud.
Old 7/9/13, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the Touring and ATAK on my V6. The touring sound just like stock when cruising and slightly more aggressive at WOT. I didn't even think the ATAKs were that loud. I'd go with the TYpeS.
Old 7/9/13, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys for the input

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
I had the Touring and ATAK on my V6. The touring sound just like stock when cruising and slightly more aggressive at WOT. I didn't even think the ATAKs were that loud. I'd go with the TYpeS.
That's what worries me about the touring.. they might be too quiet.. I'm leaning towards the s-type. but im definitely going to try to hear some first in person and make sure theyre not too loud. Hope somebody nearby has them installed and see's this thread lol
Old 7/10/13, 01:49 AM

I was in the same boat with my '12 V6. Had loud, drone prone exhaust on my tundra and didn't want that with my mustang. My other fear was dropping a good chunk of change on a Borla exhaust that sounded like stock. Finally decided to pull the trigger on the S-type and have had zero regret. It was much deeper than I expected after listening to numerous YouTube vids. Great sound around town, yet quiet enough for my daily highway commute to work. Either way, Borla makes beautiful exhaust. Good luck with your choice.
Old 7/10/13, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well unfortunately still nobody nearby with one of these exhaust(on my type of car). If anybody out there reads this I'd still love to listen to your exhaust!

That said, I did more research, and along with your guys' input, I think I'm going to go with the S-type. I read somewhere somebody said if its too loud, it'll be a lot easier to sell the s-type, than it would be to sell the touring(if they were too quiet).

Also it seems the real loudness kicks in in the higher rpms... given that I'm driving an automatic, and in the city, I'll rarely go over 2500 rpm.. unless I wanna have some fun and go into sport mode and the select shift thing

What do you guys think? Good or bad conclusions?
Old 7/11/13, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Don't want your BorlaTouring axlebacks and looking to sell them?

PM me. Maybe we can work something out.

Last edited by ustabawannab; 7/11/13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 7/11/13, 02:31 PM
Cobra Member

I just put on the magnaflow street cat back which is very similar to the Borla Touring. I would suggest that if you ever plan on putting on headers you might want to go with the quiet option now that way when you add the headers it won't be crazy loud. Thats what i plan on doing. I actually think the exhaust sounds good and when I add the shorty headers and x-pipe w/ hi-flow cats it will make it awesome! Just my .02

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 7/11/13 at 02:32 PM.
Old 7/11/13, 10:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ustabawannab
Don't want your BorlaTouring axlebacks and looking to sell them?

PM me. Maybe we can work something out.
Sorry i didnt get the tourings i got the s-type

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
I just put on the magnaflow street cat back which is very similar to the Borla Touring. I would suggest that if you ever plan on putting on headers you might want to go with the quiet option now that way when you add the headers it won't be crazy loud. Thats what i plan on doing. I actually think the exhaust sounds good and when I add the shorty headers and x-pipe w/ hi-flow cats it will make it awesome! Just my .02
I might do more changes a few years from now... But dont want to void any warrantys since i barely got the car. Most i plan to do is the CAI. Im gonna take it easy till ive had the car longer. But thanks for the heads up!!
Old 7/12/13, 02:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan73x
hey guys I was just wondering if anybody in los angeles had either of these exhaust pipes on a 2011-2013 v6. I've narrowed it down to one of them, but I cant decide because ive never heard them in person. the touring seems to be what I want, something not too loud, but louder than stock, but im worried it might be too quiet. same story but opposite with the s-type.. worried it might be too loud. and I don't want to pay so much and end up with something I don't like.

so anybody nearby with either of these exhausts?

ps. ive seen MANY youtube vids... but I know it wont be the same as actually hearing them in person.

EDIT: scratch that, make that anybody with any exhaust on a 2011-2014 v6.. I rarely ever see anybody around here into mustangs
I had the roush on my 2013 v6 and it was awesome I loved the noise. I got in trouble with tickets and my parents made me put the stock ones back on and when I get a new exhaust system I'm gonna look for something like the MRT interceptors I've been recommended those and people say they are great
Old 7/12/13, 05:04 AM
GT Member

Sorry i didnt get the tourings i got the s-type

I meant if anybody would like to sell their Borla Touring axle backs, PM me.
Old 7/14/13, 05:43 AM
CVH
Bullitt Member

I too would like a pair of the touring series. I love my stock exhaust sound with my 93R bama tuned loaded. I would like just a slightly deeper sound, then again, I do love the stealth mode until WOT.
93bama tune
73mm TB
CAI
Old 7/14/13, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CVH
I too would like a pair of the touring series. I love my stock exhaust sound with my 93R bama tuned loaded. I would like just a slightly deeper sound, then again, I do love the stealth mode until WOT.
93bama tune
73mm TB
CAI
Nice
Old 7/14/13, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

The tourings were hard to move. I had them posted on a few forums and Craig's List and no takers for months. I finally traded with someone that had the ATAKs who added headers and said it was ridiculously loud. It worked out for both of us. I wanted louder and he wanted much quieter. That was the only time I heard headers in person and it was crazy loud and raspy with stock exhaust. Must have been brutal with the ATAKs. I don't get how people can drive with those. I like loud but within reason.

I have the Roush now and like them more than the ATAKs. Not quite as deep but louder.
Old 7/15/13, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

The tourings were hard to move. I had them posted on a few forums and Craig's List and no takers for months. I finally traded with someone that had the ATAKs who added headers and said it was ridiculously loud. It worked out for both of us. I wanted louder and he wanted much quieter. That was the only time I heard headers in person and it was crazy loud and raspy with stock exhaust. Must have been brutal with the ATAKs. I don't get how people can drive with those. I like loud but within reason.

I have the Roush now and like them more than the ATAKs. Not quite as deep but louder.
so for you the touring's were too quiet? My biggest fear was there being no real difference between the tourings and stock. whats your thoughts on the tourings vs the stock exhaust?
Old 7/16/13, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

so for you the touring's were too quiet? My biggest fear was there being no real difference between the tourings and stock. whats your thoughts on the tourings vs the stock exhaust?
The touring is slightly deeper at idle and cruising. You can't really hear anything at all. At WOT it is much louder and deeper. I did not think it there was much difference at all. Looks wise completely different. Borla has the best looking exhaust tips. The 4.5" opening is super aggressive. I would go with the ATAKs. They all cost and look pretty much the same. The ATAKs are crazy loud on GTs but on the V6 it is not obnoxious or anything.
Old 7/17/13, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

The touring is slightly deeper at idle and cruising. You can't really hear anything at all. At WOT it is much louder and deeper. I did not think it there was much difference at all. Looks wise completely different. Borla has the best looking exhaust tips. The 4.5" opening is super aggressive. I would go with the ATAKs. They all cost and look pretty much the same. The ATAKs are crazy loud on GTs but on the V6 it is not obnoxious or anything.
Thank goodness.. you confirmed my suspicions. I ended up going with the S-type.. I think the ATAKs would be too loud for what Im looking for. I just got the S-types yesterday, So ill probably install this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

PS. is it alright if I pm you for helping installing the exhaust?

Last edited by roadrunner; 7/17/13 at 05:54 PM.
Old 7/17/13, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank goodness.. you confirmed my suspicions. I ended up going with the S-type.. I think the ATAKs would be too loud for what Im looking for. I just got the S-types yesterday, So ill probably install them tonight.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

PS. is it alright if I pm you for helping installing the exhaust?
No problem.

It is super easy to install. I've done it quite a few times on my mustang. Since I've had three different exhausts and went back to stock for a little while.

The stock ones are harder to remove since they are heavier. The trick is to remove the hanger by the exhaust tips first. Loosen the bracket and then pull it back. The exhaust flange will probably be in the way. Just move it out of the way.

To put the exhaust back on. Put the hangers on the new exhaust but don't attach it until you have the exhaust in place. You will also probably need to remove the brackets from the stock exhaust to put on the new exhaust. My touring ones did not come with the bracket. Just bend it back and forth until it snaps off.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but I've done it in about 20-30 minutes. The first time took a little more than an hour.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 7/20/13, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

No problem.

It is super easy to install. I've done it quite a few times on my mustang. Since I've had three different exhausts and went back to stock for a little while.

The stock ones are harder to remove since they are heavier. The trick is to remove the hanger by the exhaust tips first. Loosen the bracket and then pull it back. The exhaust flange will probably be in the way. Just move it out of the way.

To put the exhaust back on. Put the hangers on the new exhaust but don't attach it until you have the exhaust in place. You will also probably need to remove the brackets from the stock exhaust to put on the new exhaust. My touring ones did not come with the bracket. Just bend it back and forth until it snaps off.

It sounds like a lot of steps, but I've done it in about 20-30 minutes. The first time took a little more than an hour.

Let me know if you have any questions.
I installed them... theyre awesome!!! the hardest part was removing the stock mufflers.. and even more since it got dark by the time I was on the second one. But it was all worth it...

I just need to align them better now cause theyre a little bit off