Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

BBK throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/14, 02:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBK throttle body

Hey guys, I know this topic has been brought up before but I have heard so many mixed reviews on whether a 73 mil throttle body is worth it for the 3.7. I've heard reviews from it doing nothing to adding loads of power and sound. I want real answers not a bunch of fluff
Old 1/31/14, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I haven't heard anything negative. Now is it the single best 3.7 mod? No, but if you're doing other intake / exhaust mods, it does certainly help. Doesn't really add peak power but does add low end torque which helps this car a good deal. For the same amount of money, I'd buy bbk shorties first.
Old 1/31/14, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
I haven't heard anything negative. Now is it the single best 3.7 mod? No, but if you're doing other intake / exhaust mods, it does certainly help. Doesn't really add peak power but does add low end torque which helps this car a good deal. For the same amount of money, I'd buy bbk shorties first.
Yep..exactly! Had it on my '12 V6. While it complimented my other mods well. It gave much better throttle response and low end. I don't think it's worth it by itself. Its going to be one of the last mods on my '14.
Old 1/31/14, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Agreed. There's a great thread in another forum that asks what order to do mods if you knew then what you know now. For me it would be:
I'd do the gears, MPT, LCAs and Michelin PS AS3s all at once or in that order.

After that I'd say I'd get shorties and ported manifolds to give me more low and upper end power.

Then the CAI, throttle body, driveshaft, xpipe and catback.

I'd still do the suspension stuff last. But that's how I roll lol. Springs, shocks, front sway bar, rear end links, strut brace.

I still want my Steeda radiator support. I was going to get it this month but ended up getting a piggyback ecu for the Abarth.
Old 2/1/14, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I discussed this with my dyno tuner. His opinion and recommendation is the throttle body will give maybe one or two extra hp for the cost. It may be a good supporting mod but by itself the effects would be negligible.
Old 2/1/14, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

There are dyno charts out there that support what everyone is saying. You'll have to search for them since I didn't bookmark the info.
Old 2/1/14, 08:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaSixer
Hey guys, I know this topic has been brought up before but I have heard so many mixed reviews on whether a 73 mil throttle body is worth it for the 3.7. I've heard reviews from it doing nothing to adding loads of power and sound. I want real answers not a bunch of fluff
Not worth paying 400 dollars for. Buy one used if you want one so bad.
Old 2/1/14, 11:17 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Throttle body alone isnt gonna do much. But if you have a new intake, throttle body spacer, and a tune you will notice some decent gains throughout the power curve. Its a great support mod as it lets in more air, but unless the computer is optimized to recieve that additional air then there wont be much benefit
Old 2/2/14, 07:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Throttle body alone isnt gonna do much. But if you have a new intake, throttle body spacer, and a tune you will notice some decent gains throughout the power curve. Its a great support mod as it lets in more air, but unless the computer is optimized to recieve that additional air then there wont be much benefit
You only use a TB spacer with the stock TB.
Old 2/2/14, 07:26 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
You only use a TB spacer with the stock TB.
Really? Ive never heard that before actually. I was under the impression it can be used aftermarket
Old 2/2/14, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Really? Ive never heard that before actually. I was under the impression it can be used aftermarket
Yeah there only designed to work with the stock TB.
Old 2/2/14, 01:40 PM
GT Member

I've got a CAI and tune. Plus a catback exhaust. So I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to add the TB right? And I'm torn between the shorty headers and this
Old 2/2/14, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FloridaSixer
I've got a CAI and tune. Plus a catback exhaust. So I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to add the TB right? And I'm torn between the shorty headers and this
Cost v. Gain. If you have $400 to drop for small gains then sure. Like we've said its great if you have all or just about every other bolt on then it's a ok add for the money. If your content on getting it I would wait or try to find it on sale somewhere. Go with the shorty headers, much more to be gained with those and I'm sure the others would agree!

Last edited by Ajcruz1; 2/2/14 at 02:07 PM.
Old 2/2/14, 02:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
What Anthony Said, Shorties all the way.
Old 2/2/14, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

you could probably shave the inside of the throttle body spacer to make it the same size as the larger throttle body and it would help but from my understanding is that throttle body spacers only really help on tbi engines.

also what are yalls opinions on shorties vs long tubes when u do a off road x pipe?
Old 2/2/14, 07:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
I myself would not do Long Tubes, the 3.7 does not need to lose anything from the Lower RPM's, that is just my opinion.
Old 2/2/14, 07:17 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I myself would not do Long Tubes, the 3.7 does not need to lose anything from the Lower RPM's, that is just my opinion.
If however you install 3.73's or 4.10's that loss of low end tourqe will definitely be made up for and you still get better top end
Old 2/2/14, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
also what are yalls opinions on shorties vs long tubes when u do a off road x pipe?
Long tubes are great if you like your stang to sound like a broke *** tractor lol. With cats, without cats, with glass packs; it doesn't matter every 3.7 v6 with long tubes sounds terrible IMO. There is only about a 5hp/tq difference between the two if you do shorties with a like kind of x pipe.
Old 2/2/14, 07:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

If however you install 3.73's or 4.10's that loss of low end tourqe will definitely be made up for and you still get better top end
But if you dont get long tubes but still get 3.73s, yku dont have to compromise anything in the low end :-)

Personally id much rather have low end torque.. I dont see much of a point in the top end unless you drag race or something. For mostly all other applications low end always seems best.
Then again im no expert, i just know coming from motorcycles id much much rather enjoy quick acceleration than top speed
Old 2/2/14, 11:02 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by roadrunner
But if you dont get long tubes but still get 3.73s, yku dont have to compromise anything in the low end :-) Personally id much rather have low end torque.. I dont see much of a point in the top end unless you drag race or something. For mostly all other applications low end always seems best. Then again im no expert, i just know coming from motorcycles id much much rather enjoy quick acceleration than top speed
But motorcycles are rarely low end stars, thats just a wheelie disaster waiting to happen for inattentive or young riders. With bikes i like a gradual build up of power, really hitting at 6k. Cars i like power to start rollin on from 2k and up. These new v6 motors though are already pretty good at the latter half of the rpm range but low end is definitely leaving alot to be desired. I wanna put 3.73's in but money is tight and i dont wanna pay a shop to do it and i rarely have the time to do that myself /:

Quick Reply: BBK throttle body