Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

2012 v6 strut tower brace, any benefit?

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/12, 02:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 v6 strut tower brace, any benefit?

OK, a noob question ... I seen that the v6 strut tower brace comes with the factory 2012 performance package. Would I see any real handling and / or ride improvement by adding one to my bone stock 2012 V6 base model? If so, brand recommendations are welcome. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 4/3/12, 06:04 PM
GTR Member

Depends on what you do with the car. If you track it then you would see some improvement in handling, won't make much difference on the street or ride comfort.
Old 4/3/12, 07:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the reply. As I hate to copy a modification without fully understanding it's intended purpose.
Old 4/3/12, 07:40 PM
GTR Member

Its intended purpose is to keep the suspension points from moving around as the chassis twists under stress.
Old 4/21/12, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can def tell a difference with mine. It feels much stiffer than before.
Old 4/23/12, 05:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I ended up installing a STB just to satisfy my own curiosity. Since this is my daily driver, there is some benefit noted. The front end now seems a tighter and more connected especially going over those bone-jarring and irregular road surfaces. Examples are: railroad crossings, manhole covers and speed bumps. Handling in the corners was unaffected and I'm overall satisfied with the results.
Old 4/23/12, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

thanks for your report, i may get one too since they are pretty simple mods
Old 4/24/12, 06:37 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I like mine. Adds some bling to the engine bay [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails 2012 v6 strut tower brace, any benefit?-img_0498.jpg   2012 v6 strut tower brace, any benefit?-img_0500.jpg  
Old 4/24/12, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The weakest point of the Mustang's front suspension has always been the shock (or strut) towers on a unibody cahassis. Since the tops aren't connected, a certain amount of flexing is realized, and when the shock towers move, the front suspension geometry changes (caster, camber, and load moves unexpectedly from one side or the other). The strut tower brace closes the loop, so to speak, and reduces the tendency for the top of the shock tower to "walk around" independent of the other side of the car, as well as a certain amount of twisting on the part of the front frame. This is why the first GT-350's had what they called an "monte carlo bar". Coupled with an export brace which connected the shock towers to the firewall, the chassis was turned into a series of cooperating triangles (inherently more stable than a rectangle). The result was a stiffer, more cohesive suspension system.

If you have the cash to spare, I highly recommend that you buy and install a strut tower brace. You may or may not "feel" a difference, but believe me, the car will definitely be more predictable with it (you may simply not realize it due to your driving style).
Old 4/24/12, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

David, that’s a sharp looking STB ...

How’s that American Muscle aluminum driveshaft been working out? I would be interested in your evaluation on how it feels and performs, especially on how much “clunk” still remains, if any. Perhaps you could post up a short follow up review, as this will be my next modification.

Thanks, John

Jsimmons: Appreciate the detailed explanation as I was on the fence after reading so many STB mixed reviews.

Last edited by silverstate777; 4/24/12 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Unable to enlarge text size, why?
Old 4/24/12, 09:30 PM

I think the car feels more "german like" aka tighter stiffer firmer with the STB. If you get one make sure ut mounts to all four bolts and not just two.
Old 4/25/12, 04:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by silverstate777
David, that’s a sharp looking STB ...

How’s that American Muscle aluminum driveshaft been working out? I would be interested in your evaluation on how it feels and performs, especially on how much “clunk” still remains, if any. Perhaps you could post up a short follow up review, as this will be my next modification.

Thanks, John

Jsimmons: Appreciate the detailed explanation as I was on the fence after reading so many STB mixed reviews.
There are several to pick from, and range from $125 all the way up to $350 (!).

If you're using Max Motorsports caster/camber plates, I don't think you'll be able to use the kind that use all four bolts on the strut tower (which I think are preferable to the ones that just use two bolts). I have an email in to MM about this.
Old 4/25/12, 08:11 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I paid around $185 for the Stack Racing Strut Tower Brace. The American Muscle aluminum drive shaft is really made by Axle Exchange but on their web site they don't show any for a V-6 Mustang. The clunk is just the slack in the gears in our rearends. It clunks sometimes and sometimes doesn't. I just had my dealer install Ford Racing 3.73 gears a couple months ago, still has the clunk sometimes.

The aluminum drive shaft is more quiet and smoother than the factory one was. My girlfriend agrees. It weighs around 10 pounds less than the factory one. The 20 pounds lighter drive shafts are for the G.T.'s because they are made a lot different than the drive shafts (big heavy support bearing in the middle) used in the V-6's.
Old 4/25/12, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by David Young
I paid around $185 for the Stack Racing Strut Tower Brace. The American Muscle aluminum drive shaft is really made by Axle Exchange but on their web site they don't show any for a V-6 Mustang. The clunk is just the slack in the gears in our rearends. It clunks sometimes and sometimes doesn't. I just had my dealer install Ford Racing 3.73 gears a couple months ago, still has the clunk sometimes.

The aluminum drive shaft is more quiet and smoother than the factory one was. My girlfriend agrees. It weighs around 10 pounds less than the factory one. The 20 pounds lighter drive shafts are for the G.T.'s because they are made a lot different than the drive shafts (big heavy support bearing in the middle) used in the V-6's.
David, Thanks for the informative drive shaft review. I had an aluminum DS on my '06 Crown Vic, but didn't want to compare apples to oranges.
Old 5/6/13, 01:56 PM

Exclamation You need this if you have a convert!!!

This is an absolute must if you have a convertible! this alone does more to tighten up the front end, than any other aftermarket part we have put on the car. If you have a convertible, you know how they shake shimmy and rattle after large bumps or bridge approaches? they all stop with this shock tower brace. The type you choose depends on if you have the engine cover or not, a supercharger, as you will need more room for that. I cannot see how you would not see an improvement in any car, convert or not. while you're at it do the bottom brace as well to box the system up tight! My wife has a 2007, and I cannot believe that ford let this out of the door without one! On day one, we hit a bridge approach and the dash went side to side about 6 inches? the dealer said all convertibles do that? WOW!!! We have done many suspension changes, but this is the most noticeable correction to date!
Old 5/8/13, 08:02 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gwhpnut
This is an absolute must if you have a convertible! this alone does more to tighten up the front end, than any other aftermarket part we have put on the car.
Do the braces come standard on '13 convertibles? Mine has one, and I have the pony but not the performance package.
Old 5/8/13, 09:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by DRB
Do the braces come standard on '13 convertibles? Mine has one, and I have the pony but not the performance package.
I am thinking all the Verts have them stock now.
Old 5/8/13, 09:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all the new verts have them. I believe the coupes with the package that includes 19" wheels have them as well.
Old 6/15/13, 03:14 PM
GT Member

I'll be honest I only want the performance package one because I think it looks cool...lol
Old 6/25/13, 06:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's weird how many pros you hear about it!
Back when I had an SVT Focus, everyone told me it was completely worthless. I put it on before I could even drive (age: 15) so I never really had a before/after experience. I liked it though for looks and for an armrest when working/cleaning the engine.
It's starting to sound like a must do.

Quick Reply: 2012 v6 strut tower brace, any benefit?