Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

13/v-6 Mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/14, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13/v-6 Mod questions

History, have installed CAI/Cat-back-magnaflows/73m TB/Bama Tune. Am going to install 3.73 gears/aluminum drive-shaft. Any preferance between motive/Ford racing gears?...have heard motive makes both? Is Dynotech ALum DS a respected brand? If I install LP headers/X-pipe...what HP gains can I expect and is it worth the Cost?? THX
Old 12/30/14, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Billybob
History, have installed CAI/Cat-back-magnaflows/73m TB/Bama Tune. Am going to install 3.73 gears/aluminum drive-shaft. Any preferance between motive/Ford racing gears?...have heard motive makes both? Is Dynotech ALum DS a respected brand? If I install LP headers/X-pipe...what HP gains can I expect and is it worth the Cost?? THX
Go with Ford racing gears, Go with the one piece from the axle exchange sold from American Muscle. Long tubes , off road x. Should see a good 20-25 rwhp gain.
Old 12/31/14, 08:04 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey BillyBob - Welcome to TheMustangSource. Good question and I would definitely shoot for the Ford Racing 3.73's over the Motives. There's a lot of member that will say they have a tendency to whine more than the Ford Racing's which in my opinion but it's typically in relation to an installation issue as there's not much room for error - I've heard many things on who owns who and I have a tendency to mix them up! I'm sure someone can verify this for us though!

On the Dynotech I don't have much experience with their product but I would highly recommend the Driveshaft Shops Aluminum One Piece as I know for a fact that in can handle a boat load of horsepower!

Kona's right on the money on the Header/X-Pipe gains as well and if you're looking to add a little more pep in her step definitely go with them!

For what it's worth I think the gears would make the most profound difference though as the jump from the OEM ring and pinion to the 3.73's will literally change the cars dynamic. It's literally a night and day difference!

I hope some of this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Go with Ford racing gears, Go with the one piece from the axle exchange sold from American Muscle. Long tubes , off road x. Should see a good 20-25 rwhp gain.
^^Thanks Kona!
Old 12/31/14, 03:35 PM

THX 4 both reply's. Will do gears/DS 1st...then think about the spendy HDR/x-pipe mods.
Old 1/1/15, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

THX 4 both reply's. Will do gears/DS 1st...then think about the spendy HDR/x-pipe mods.
Great decision. I did 3.73 gears and a DS at the same time in November. What a transformation. Your car will fly from start.
Old 1/2/15, 08:13 AM
Former Vendor

Anytime! Let me know if you have any other questions at all, I'm always around to help out!

Originally Posted by cdiaz1069
Great decision. I did 3.73 gears and a DS at the same time in November. What a transformation. Your car will fly from start.
^^^The DriveShaft and gears will give the car a crazy night and day difference, it really does fly like a bat out of hell and I think they're easily two of the best modifications that you can have installed on the 3.7l

Alex
Old 1/3/15, 04:46 PM

@AMAlexLazarus Why are ALL the GEAR KITS OUT of stock?? Yet, All the parts for the Kit are IN Stock(just have to purchase individually)? This appears to be an AM exclusive kit...as no other vender offers it? Why does the kit only come with 2 qts when 3 are required for 8.8 ? I Am also unsure about "installation kit" ? It looks like it does NOT include the "8.8in Rear Gear Pinion Bearing" as photos only show 4 bearings and kit shows 5 and names ...8.8in Rear Gear Pinion Bearing?? Does the AM-Motive kit come with this bearing? or does it need to be ordered separately? I think AM is a great site for mustang owners...just looking for some clarity. BTW, I did purchase CAI/TB/bama tuner/ other items from AM. Thx 4 your help!
Old 1/4/15, 04:11 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Yep. I've changed my gear oil around 4 or 5 times and it has taken 2 1/3rd quarts each time. Thats filled until the gear oil starts to run out of the fill hole like the owners manual says to. I "think" if you have the aftermarket gear cover with the fill and drain holes on the front, 2 quarts will fill up until the lube starts running out. I "believe" its because the fill hole on the aftermarket gear cover is a little lower than the factory fill hole. If what i'm trying to say makes sense...................
Old 1/5/15, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor

@AMAlexLazarus Why are ALL the GEAR KITS OUT of stock?? Yet, All the parts for the Kit are IN Stock(just have to purchase individually)? This appears to be an AM exclusive kit...as no other vender offers it? Why does the kit only come with 2 qts when 3 are required for 8.8 ? I Am also unsure about "installation kit" ? It looks like it does NOT include the "8.8in Rear Gear Pinion Bearing" as photos only show 4 bearings and kit shows 5 and names ...8.8in Rear Gear Pinion Bearing?? Does the AM-Motive kit come with this bearing? or does it need to be ordered separately? I think AM is a great site for mustang owners...just looking for some clarity. BTW, I did purchase CAI/TB/bama tuner/ other items from AM. Thx 4 your help!
Hey Billy!

Sorry about the delay and inconvenience! Good question and it's not an AM exclusive kit but if we're to have one piece from the kit that's on back order (It's likely the Friction Modifier or the Gear Oil) Sorry about this!

Regarding the Gear Oil - That's a really good question and I'm scratching my head here! I'm going to need to talk with a few different departments on this as it should definitely be 3. I'm not sure what happened on our end here!

On the Install Kit as long as you're to select a kit that's for the 11+ V6 it "will" have the needed 8.8 Rear Pinion Bearing.

Please let me know if I've missed anything at all here and I'm happy to help shed some light on this further!

Alex
Old 2/3/15, 05:43 AM
GT Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
A rear diff has 4 bearings. Right and left for carrier and front and rear for pinion. Unsure where you came up with 5.
Old 2/12/15, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

How true is it that gear swaps are a ***** and potentially ruin the car?
Old 2/12/15, 07:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando
How true is it that gear swaps are a ***** and potentially ruin the car?
It's easy if you have the right tools and knowledge. If you don't, it's very easy to start ruining things.
Old 2/13/15, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
It's easy if you have the right tools and knowledge. If you don't, it's very easy to start ruining things.
That's key. I had a very reputable Mustang shop do mine. Couldn't be happier with them. They did a driveshaft at the same time.
Old 4/9/15, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by cdiaz1069
That's key. I had a very reputable Mustang shop do mine. Couldn't be happier with them. They did a driveshaft at the same time.
Is it recommended to the the driveshaft at the same time for 3.73s? I've been really thinking about switching my gears but I hadn't planned much on the DS. Is the DS something that can be done in my garage, or is it also recommended to have a shop do it?

I certainly plan on taking mine into a shop for gears, but anything I can do I like to. I'm a rookie at working on cars, but expert at following youtube videos.
Old 4/9/15, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gudds
Is it recommended to the the driveshaft at the same time for 3.73s? I've been really thinking about switching my gears but I hadn't planned much on the DS. Is the DS something that can be done in my garage, or is it also recommended to have a shop do it?

I certainly plan on taking mine into a shop for gears, but anything I can do I like to. I'm a rookie at working on cars, but expert at following youtube videos.

You'll need to change the drive shaft and install a gear change via a tuner. All and all your looking at close to 2 grand.
Old 4/9/15, 06:51 PM

I have a BAMA tuner already, so I was aware I'd have to get an updated tune, but I wasn't counting on the driveshaft. Looks like I'll be saving up a bit longer.
Old 4/9/15, 07:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Driveshaft isn't difficult to install, and won't add a ton to the total install price.
Old 4/10/15, 11:53 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Driveshaft isn't difficult to install, and won't add a ton to the total install price.
DS needs to be unbolted from rear to change gears. There should be no extra charge or just a very small one to put new shaft in. Tell installer to just put new shaft in instead of old shaft.
If they want more than what your happy with paying then do it yourself. As long as you have a jack and stands with hand tools>>>It's not hard at all.
Old 7/9/15, 06:30 AM
V6 Member

From what I've read you dont have to change DS to accommodate for the new gears