5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Why the Large Price Range in SS Brake Lines ??

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/11, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the Large Price Range in SS Brake Lines ??

I used a set of Earl's brake lines on my 05 GT and they were around $120 for all 4.

I was going to buy a set of Russel for about the same price but I'm questionning why are some other vendors over $200

Now, I know it is the material of the line that is important; the SS shell is only to protect the line itself not prevent expansion.

Can someone explain why I should pay 2X more for a set of Goodridge or Steeda vs. Russell ???

BTW, is there a difference of lines for Brembo or non-Brembo brakes ... some specify that they do not fit GT500 ? I'm looking for Brembo brake lines if it really matters ...

Last edited by MontrealStang; 2/7/11 at 02:36 PM.
Old 2/7/11, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MontrealStang
I used a set of Earl's brake lines on my 05 GT and they were around $120 for all 4.

I was going to buy a set of Russel for about the same price but I'm questionning why are some other vendors over $200

Now, I know it is the material of the line that is important; the SS shell is only to protect the line itself not prevent expansion.

Can someone explain why I should pay 2X more for a set of Goodridge or Steeda vs. Russell ???

BTW, is there a difference of lines for Brembo or non-Brembo brakes ... some specify that they do not fit GT500 ? I'm looking for Brembo brake lines if it really matters ...
There are a few different reasons for cost, partly you are paying for the name brand, but also not all SS lines are built the same.

For example, the ones I have for my Focus ST are not only SS, they are also coated with a plastic sheathing that keeps the braiding clean and shiny, and it has extra bumpers to keep them from rubbing on struts, etc.

As for your Brembo question; I cannot say for certain but I'm under the impression that the Brebo brakes are the same as those on the GT500 so I would think they're the same as. You'd have to look and see if they're the same part number from Ford.
Old 2/7/11, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mostly because Goodridge and Steeda have all the mounting tabs and brackets. The others don't. I sell both Steeda and Goodridge, but mostly Goodridge as I'm pretty sure they are the same lines for less money based on having had both sets in my hand at the same time.

I also carry the Russell lines and yes, the are cheaper... because the lack the bolt on tabs.
Old 2/7/11, 05:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thx for the clarifications Sam.
Old 2/7/11, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
Mostly because Goodridge and Steeda have all the mounting tabs and brackets. The others don't. I sell both Steeda and Goodridge, but mostly Goodridge as I'm pretty sure they are the same lines for less money based on having had both sets in my hand at the same time.

I also carry the Russell lines and yes, the are cheaper... because the lack the bolt on tabs.
Thanks Sam. Does this mean the Russell's aren't a good fit ? Meaning beside the bracket that connects the SS to the hard line, is there another one ? My Earl's had them and they were only around $120 ?

What is the disavantage with the Russell's ... more tie-wrap fixing instead of custom brackets ?
Old 2/9/11, 01:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sam strano

You know anything about the stoptech lines?
Old 2/13/11, 03:33 PM
Cobra R Member

One difference I've seen in the past (may no longer be true nowadays) is that some lines are D.O.T.-approved (a.k.a. "legal") whereas the el-cheapos are not (a.k.a. "off-road use only"). I think a key difference may be longevity & failure modes, in that brakes are a safety item and need to last a long long time (in the DOT's eyes).