Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Whiteline rear suspension for 2013 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/13, 06:13 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whiteline rear suspension for 2013 Boss 302

The overall "handling" of a Boss 302 was very good, in stock form. It had a few quirks, I wanted to fix. The biggest "problem", was losing traction on hard acceleration. Even with traction control, on, the rear end would come around, and then "whip" back violently, causing total loss of control. After alot of research, I found the fix. It ain't cheap, and it took 2 mechanics "very hard", labor 4 hours. The rear seat has to be removed, and both guys need a 3-4 ft. breaker bar, because Ford uses red locktite on the bolts. They don't want you to ever change control arms, upper or lower. If you buy a Boss 302R track ready full race car, for $150,000.00, you get Whiteline upper and lower control arms, mounting brackets, panhard bar, and brace, $1000.00, installed. So what do you get for your thousand bucks? Superb traction, in any situation, no whiplash, ever, and great straight line traction. Everything is predictable, and controlled by you. You can turn off "traction controll", and do a better job, yourself!, even in rain, or bumpy roads. When you lose traction, it's gradual, and controllable. It's actually a safety factor, it would be hard to lose control, and crash. I attached a picture of the most important piece, upper control arm, and bracket.
Attached Thumbnails Whiteline rear suspension for 2013 Boss 302-img_0362.jpg  
Old 1/3/13, 08:27 AM
V6 Member

Is your new set up noisy?
Old 1/3/13, 08:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Interesting mods...
Are these parts significantly better than other aftermarket parts?

Many guys have replaced control arms. I don't recall reading that it was that big of a deal.
Old 1/3/13, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cranky Old Man
The overall "handling" of a Boss 302 was very good, in stock form. It had a few quirks, I wanted to fix. The biggest "problem", was losing traction on hard acceleration. Even with traction control, on, the rear end would come around, and then "whip" back violently, causing total loss of control. After alot of research, I found the fix. It ain't cheap, and it took 2 mechanics "very hard", labor 4 hours. The rear seat has to be removed, and both guys need a 3-4 ft. breaker bar, because Ford uses red locktite on the bolts. They don't want you to ever change control arms, upper or lower. If you buy a Boss 302R track ready full race car, for $150,000.00, you get Whiteline upper and lower control arms, mounting brackets, panhard bar, and brace, $1000.00, installed. So what do you get for your thousand bucks? Superb traction, in any situation, no whiplash, ever, and great straight line traction. Everything is predictable, and controlled by you. You can turn off "traction controll", and do a better job, yourself!, even in rain, or bumpy roads. When you lose traction, it's gradual, and controllable. It's actually a safety factor, it would be hard to lose control, and crash. I attached a picture of the most important piece, upper control arm, and bracket.
I'm trying to make sense of the punctuation here. Are you claiming the 302R uses whiteline suspension?
Old 1/3/13, 08:36 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 89Turd
Is your new set up noisy?
Whiteline is one of the most quiet UCA's of the bunch but offer a great improvement in handling. Gets rid of the weak/ soft bushings Ford puts on these cars.
Old 1/3/13, 08:49 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Whiteline is one of the most quiet UCA's of the bunch but offer a great improvement in handling. Gets rid of the weak/ soft bushings Ford puts on these cars.
Sweet!, I have UMI's roto-joint rear CAs and like the Sphoon units with the delrin bushing they transmit a helluva lot of NVH plus require constant maintence which requires greasing them every 3-5k miles and after about six months of driving I need to tighten the roto-joints due to wear (which requires removing the rotor-joint side of the arms and tightening them).

They are great if your car is a track only vehicle or see's limited use but as a daily driver they require to much maintence unless your the sort that really liked daily driving a pushrod car with a solid lifter pro-stock cam and having to adjust the valves on an hourly basis.

Defintely going for these as soon as I get some free money along with the Whiteline Watts-Link

Last edited by bob; 1/3/13 at 08:51 PM.
Old 1/3/13, 09:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

I replaced the UCA, LCAs and Panhard Bar on my 2012 Boss myself, and overall the job is much easier than it was on earlier (05-10) S197s. There's more room on the 2011+ S197, making it very easy to remove the UCA and chassis mount together without having to lower the gas tank. The bolt under the back seat is torgued to 350 ft lbs, so using a large breaker bar with a jack handle for some extra leverage worked nicely. I'm 58 years old, so your mechanics must be wimps, LOL. I'll doing the same with my 2013 real soon.
Old 1/3/13, 10:09 PM
GT Member

No, there is no noise, at all. Ford Racing does not have upper/lower control arms, or panhard brace, or heavy braces. Whiteline is an aftermarket, "option", for Boss 302R, and is used by Ford racing teams in US, Canada, Australia, and Europe. There is no "maintanence", at all, no grease, or anything else. You can adjust everything, to suit your needs, or for a specific track. Their parts are as good as it gets, IMO. Their Watts Link is really great, but not necessary, for a street car. I had my shocks set in position 5, but I'm going back to position 3, for more compliance, and shock travel.

Last edited by Cranky Old Man; 1/3/13 at 10:12 PM.
Old 1/4/13, 10:32 AM
V6 Member

Thanks Jay and Cranky.

I've been looking for an option to reduce wheel hop that wasn't noisy. Looks like I may have found it!
Old 1/4/13, 10:59 AM
GT Member

I noticed more noise using there panhard bar, and LCAs.. Just for those who are buying,
Old 1/5/13, 04:37 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bob
Sweet!, I have UMI's roto-joint rear CAs and like the Sphoon units with the delrin bushing they transmit a helluva lot of NVH plus require constant maintence which requires greasing them every 3-5k miles and after about six months of driving I need to tighten the roto-joints due to wear (which requires removing the rotor-joint side of the arms and tightening them).

They are great if your car is a track only vehicle or see's limited use but as a daily driver they require to much maintence unless your the sort that really liked daily driving a pushrod car with a solid lifter pro-stock cam and having to adjust the valves on an hourly basis.

Defintely going for these as soon as I get some free money along with the Whiteline Watts-Link
Let me know when you're ready, I sell a lot of Whiteline and have a great working relationship with them over there. They offer some top-notch suspension components, my 2011 GT had zero increase NVH with the UCA, LCA and Relo brackets. But then again, I couldn't hear much over my exhaust...
Old 1/6/13, 01:02 AM
GT Member

The trouble with modifying the suspension with Whiteline pieces, is it provokes more mods. I saw Ford Racing's optional wheels, 19-10 rear, 19-9 front. They're forged wheels and weigh half as much as stock Boss 302 wheels. Cutting the weight improves suspension/handling, so I'm getting new wheels in bronze/gold to "match"my Gotta Have It Green paint. Then, Toyo Proxes R8888, tires, 100 compound. Hopefully, that will be the end of my "mods". The wheels come in flat black, machined accent, silver, or gloss black. I like bronze/gold.
Attached Thumbnails Whiteline rear suspension for 2013 Boss 302-ford-racing-wheels.jpg  

Last edited by Cranky Old Man; 1/6/13 at 01:11 AM.
Old 1/6/13, 10:40 AM
V6 Member

Those bronze wheel on the GHIG are Awesome!!!!
Old 1/6/13, 07:31 PM
V6 Member

The trouble with modifying the suspension with Whiteline pieces, is it provokes more mods. I saw Ford Racing's optional wheels, 19-10 rear, 19-9 front. They're forged wheels and weigh half as much as stock Boss 302 wheels. Cutting the weight improves suspension/handling, so I'm getting new wheels in bronze/gold to "match"my Gotta Have It Green paint. Then, Toyo Proxes R8888, tires, 100 compound. Hopefully, that will be the end of my "mods". The wheels come in flat black, machined accent, silver, or gloss black. I like bronze/gold.
Which wheels are those? Got a model?
Old 1/7/13, 05:16 AM
GT Member

The wheels are made by TSW and BBS, for Ford Racing. Until recently, they only came in 18 inch, flat black. Now they have 19-9 and 19-10, in colors/trim. I saw them at Tirerack, Discount Tire, and Ford Racing, priced at $5-800.00 each. Hillbank Motorsports is a distributor/dealer for all three, and they're alot cheaper. Hillbank: www.hillbankmotorsports.com 1-888-445-5226/1-949-900-1960. They ship anywhere, and can supply sensors/stems cheap. Tuttle-Click wants $500.00 for sensors/stems kit.

Last edited by Cranky Old Man; 1/7/13 at 05:35 AM.
Old 1/7/13, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

The wheels are made by TSW and BBS, for Ford Racing. Until recently, they only came in 18 inch, flat black. Now they have 19-9 and 19-10, in colors/trim. I saw them at Tirerack, Discount Tire, and Ford Racing, priced at $5-800.00 each. Hillbank Motorsports is a distributor/dealer for all three, and they're alot cheaper. Hillbank: www.hillbankmotorsports.com 1-888-445-5226/1-949-900-1960. They ship anywhere, and can supply sensors/stems cheap. Tuttle-Click wants $500.00 for sensors/stems kit.
Those are tsw nurburgrings. Ford racing has nothing to do with those. And 5-800 is a rip off. Check out American muscle, they have them.
Old 1/7/13, 07:31 AM
GT Member

American Muscle has a "replica" wheel, cast, not forged, not 20 pounds. The only forged wheels they have are Forgestar, not Ford Racing, not 19-9. Forged wheels cost a lot to make, and more than double retail price.

Last edited by Cranky Old Man; 1/7/13 at 07:56 AM.
Old 1/7/13, 11:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mikeyt03
Those are tsw nurburgrings. Ford racing has nothing to do with those. And 5-800 is a rip off. Check out American muscle, they have them.
Was thinking the same thing. They do look a lot like them but don't come in the sizes stated.
Old 1/7/13, 11:35 AM
V6 Member

I've been to all the websites you listed but don't see them in the sizes you listed. How sure are you about the sizes you listed above? Are the in fact TSW Nurburgrings? Can you provide a link to these exact wheels on any of the websites you mentioned? Thanks!
Old 1/7/13, 03:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

American Muscle has a "replica" wheel, cast, not forged, not 20 pounds. The only forged wheels they have are Forgestar, not Ford Racing, not 19-9. Forged wheels cost a lot to make, and more than double retail price.
Except the TSW which I am not sure what the difference between rotary forged and regular forging is, but they are pretty reasonably priced.

Quick Reply: Whiteline rear suspension for 2013 Boss 302