5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Whipple 2.9L Crusher Install Write-Up

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/11, 12:10 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, that is absolutely awesome! Congratulations on the install!
Old 11/22/11, 11:22 PM
Bullitt Member

In case I missed it... What are you putting down to the ground?
Old 11/23/11, 02:20 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Haven't hit a dyno yet, but similar setups are around 620rwhp.
Old 11/29/11, 01:42 PM
V6 Member

Where did you get this kit? Nice man. I thought installing my LT headers were a PITA but this is another story. Congrats !!
Old 11/29/11, 01:45 PM
V6 Member

Also forgot to ask, what are you doing with the Boss Mani and JLT CAI? Why didn't you get a side mount to keep the boss mani?
Old 11/29/11, 02:31 PM

Regarding the timing cover modifications. Last week on 2 Guys Garage they were doing a Roushcharger install and used spade bits, yes the ones for drilling holes in wood, to machine down the bosses. It looked like it worked really slick.
Old 11/29/11, 02:48 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by QuadCammer5.0
Also forgot to ask, what are you doing with the Boss Mani and JLT CAI? Why didn't you get a side mount to keep the boss mani?
Sold them. Side mount?

You mean a centri?

I got a twin screw because I wanted the low end grunt and instant peak boost.

Originally Posted by shane_atv
Regarding the timing cover modifications. Last week on 2 Guys Garage they were doing a Roushcharger install and used spade bits, yes the ones for drilling holes in wood, to machine down the bosses. It looked like it worked really slick.
I saw that. Much easier than the way I did it.
Old 12/3/11, 08:09 PM

s197 gt, this is a sick sick setup, I read the entire write up because I was considering getting the FRPP 525 or 624 kit...until i read all about the wire cutting and grinding the engine cover. So it's steered me over to ProCharger. It will be my first centri supercharger. I've had a whipple twinscrew on two other vehicles and like being able to convert back to stock. I will miss the low end grunt, but I figure it will be better on the power train. You still running the OEM clutch?
Old 12/3/11, 09:31 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally Posted by 8WOOD
s197 gt, this is a sick sick setup, I read the entire write up because I was considering getting the FRPP 525 or 624 kit...until i read all about the wire cutting and grinding the engine cover. So it's steered me over to ProCharger. It will be my first centri supercharger. I've had a whipple twinscrew on two other vehicles and like being able to convert back to stock. I will miss the low end grunt, but I figure it will be better on the power train. You still running the OEM clutch?
I don't know man. Sounds like a horrible reason to not go Whipple.

The timing cover grinding is really easy, and I've seen it done with a spade bit in a drill really quickly.

There is no wire cutting. Not a single wire is cut. It's a series of extensions that you are doing using the supplied harnesses.

All you do is take apart the connectors and transfer them.

This in fact a huge plus when wanting to return back to stock.

Not only that, but if you do get a Procharger, you really are going to want the Stage 2 kit for the upgraded inter cooler. The standard Procharger kit has a really small intercooler that is covered by the bumper support beam.

In order to install the Stage 2 intercooler, you'll have to cut out a decent piece of that support beam.

So each kit has its own level of cutting/grinding that needs to be done.

Don't let the install itself sway you towards either kit. Get the Whipple kit if that's what you really want.

I'd also recommend going with a 2.9L over the 525 or 624 kit. It runs more efficiently than the 2.3L, and has proven to be great even at lower boost levels.

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Oh yeah, I'm still on the OEM clutch.
Old 12/3/11, 11:25 PM

I'm pretty set on going with the procharger, time to try something new, plus I love the oem look of the thing. My vision is that the car will be completely stock aside from the SC, it must be a lower-key DD but still fun on a autoX or track. Coming from a C6 Z06 and a 400 AWHP EVO X the power level just isn't satisfactory. Also, with the whipple I have to get a different hood in order to have the strut brace, which for me is a must. As far as the low end tourqe and power, I have a hard enough time keeping the tires from spinning out in this car. The other thing I don't like about whipple is how much power they loose after about 5 straight minutes of spirited driving. I'm not sure If the procharger will be better but I'm willing to test it out. I know the bigger liter twin or bigger gauge on the centri would help with overheating, but as far as stage II or the 2.9, that's a little overkill for me, If i was shooting for 600+ whp then I'd defiantly go that route. I've got some warranty issues to work out with Ford before I get this thing, but I should have it before Christmas. I'm by no means a mechanical guru, or a hardcore racer, but I'll have to do a write up about the install and my impressions about the centri supercharger.

So the clutch in these mustangs must be pretty good to hold all that power
Old 12/4/11, 09:18 AM
3rd Times A Charm

I gotta say, of your concerned about the power loss from heat soak, you are crazy for considering the standard Procharger kit.

And I mean that with all respect.

You will have horrible heat soak with that pathetic little intercooler that comes with it.

Don't get caught up in the actual horse power numbers, just make sure you do it right and don't cut corners.

You can always throw a bigger pulley on if you want to limit the boost, but you'll regret not getting the stage 2.

Besides, when I was buying my kit, American Muscle had the Stage 2 kit cheaper than the standard kit, believe it or not.

Yeah the clutch is impressive, but I'm also on the OEM clutch in my 440rwhp Kenne Bell '05 too. I'm sure the driving ability plays a part in the longevity as well.
Old 12/4/11, 11:37 PM

Are you still using the stock fuel pump? If so what PSI are you running? Also, I didn't know if this car had knock sensors, but apparently it does. I'm assuming that if the intake temps get too hot and it starts picking up knock it reduce the timing. Do you have AFR gauge? and if so what AFR are you seeing?
Old 12/5/11, 05:03 PM

Yup, It's done. I listened to your advice and went with the Stage II Procharger Kit from Evolution Sports. Quoted me a good deal so I took it. It comes with their 675 crank tune @ 7 psi on 91 octane. I'm dreading cutting the fascia but hp needs room!
Old 12/5/11, 05:18 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Yup, It's done. I listened to your advice and went with the Stage II Procharger Kit from Evolution Sports. Quoted me a good deal so I took it. It comes with their 675 crank tune @ 7 psi on 91 octane. I'm dreading cutting the fascia but hp needs room!
Nice!

Some good info for you on S197Forum.com about that kit.
Old 5/27/12, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats
Old 5/27/12, 09:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any dyno updates? Did you have lund street and dyno tune it in person or remotely/online?