5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

What would it take, if even possible?

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/11, 12:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What would it take, if even possible?

To make my car sound like the Boss 302? Just watched a couple of videos, 1 @ auto cross & other @ drag strip. The auto cross sounds awesome! Thanks!!
Old 5/24/11, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Do a muffler delete. I did it to my 05' a month after I got it new & everyone loves it.

Go to a local muffler shop, pick out the tips you want & have them do it. Should be less then SLP's., I bet you can get it done for 200 or less.

Just a warning, it is not for the timid. WOT is crazy!!
Old 5/24/11, 03:09 PM
Cobra R Member

I just want to take advantage of having my warranty. I talked w/my Ford salesman cousin. He says I must run some kind of a muffler on it. Guess I can wait another 2.5 yrs to just delete them. In 5.5 yrs, I'll be able go afford that SLP set-up. Thanks!!

Last edited by eliyarbrough; 5/24/11 at 03:11 PM.
Old 5/24/11, 03:19 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did he say say you must have mufflers? Is it a decibel issue? I doubt its a warranty issue, idk?
Old 5/24/11, 05:03 PM
Cobra R Member

I didn't get too far into it. He just said I need to keep mufflers on it, all I needed to hear/read. The place where he works is not where I bought it. It is where I'll have it serviced. There are prob 100 Ford lots closer from where I bought it @. Found by Craigslist, again.

Don't think it is a loudness thing?
Driving out of my carport yest, I got to a certain spot where it sounded dang good! It literally made my 1 ear rattle!! If I could have that all the time, love it! I had somewhere to be, or I'll still be sitting there. Wish I could find a way to dump the exhaust, even.
Old 5/25/11, 05:13 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by eliyarbrough
To make my car sound like the Boss 302? Just watched a couple of videos, 1 @ auto cross & other @ drag strip. The auto cross sounds awesome! Thanks!!
I wonder if the side exhaust from the Boss will be available as an option at some point? Would you run it if it was?
Old 5/25/11, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

Mufflers don't matter when it comes to warranty. Perhaps he meant the cats? That would make the car throw a code and you'd need a tune. Putting on axle backs or a catback is not a problem.
Old 5/25/11, 08:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
FWIW, the 4.6L cars have a different sound quality than the 5.0s. I had muffler deletes on my 2009 (same as Slidejob's 2005, obviously) and it was pure joy. Completely managable noise levels at normal driving, very loud and pleasing sounds at WOT. The only problem was that the start up, early in the morning, could be a bit embarassing in a quiet neighborhood...

The 5.0 cars that I have heard (admittedly only in videos) do not sound as good with muffler deletes. They sound raspy, poppy and just kind of unpleasant.

They may sound better in person but I would suggest that you hear one for yourself before spending the money.

Last edited by MRGTX; 5/25/11 at 08:09 AM.
Old 5/25/11, 08:50 AM
Cobra R Member

I would run side exit's, just my rear bumper has the cut-outs. I ran that on my 95. 1st had a custom kit, sounded awesome! Then found the true Borla set-up. Used it prob 4 mths? Just sounded good @ WOT, with that car, I wasn't there much. Went back to custom kit.

My buddy has an 08 GT w/Pypes delete muffs. I've only heard it when it 1st starts, I dont like that @ all. That's obnoxious loud, to me. I want it to still have the Amer muscle car sound more than anything.

Oh yeah. I'll still be running my stock cats/resonators, maybe? What will that do to the tone? I had another thought, forgot it though!