Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

What is the next step up from the GT500 axle backs?

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/13, 06:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the next step up from the GT500 axle backs?

So I've had the GT500 axle backs on my car for about 2 years now but I have recently found myself looking for a little more sound. To me the GT500's sound good at low rpm but at higher rpm all I really hear is engine noise and not exhaust. Can anyone recommend what the next step up on loudness would be over these? I don't want anything super loud and I don't want any drone either. I also like how under normal driving conditions the GT500's quiet right down.

Thanks
Old 8/3/13, 06:21 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Welcome to myself last year at least you lasted 2 years. I lasted 1/2 a year. Loved them at first, then got borla s type axlebacks. That lasted a year then got borla s catbacks. Now I'm proper and happy.

Given that, go borla s type axlebacks FTW. Perhaps catback later on.
Old 8/3/13, 02:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Resonator removal with GT500 mufflers seems to add some volume. But a full catback will probably be best. They get a little pricey but are excellent. Could always go all out with headers and full exhaust...
Old 8/3/13, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

BorlAaaaaaaaaaa
Old 8/3/13, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you swap out the axle backs, ditch the resonators. It's cheap and easy and will add volume to your ride. If that's not loud enough for you, ditch the stock H pipe for a 3" H or X pipe and run 3" pipe to the over axle pipe and it will sound great when on throttle and quiet down at cruise like you want. This is what I did and I am very satisfied with the sound.
Old 8/3/13, 06:03 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by MadMoose
BorlAaaaaaaaaaa
Haha.... Amen bro
Old 8/3/13, 06:29 PM
Cobra Member

Boss H - baffles + GT500 axle-backs - resonators > all
Old 8/3/13, 09:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Borla S-type axle backs.
Old 8/3/13, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

I love my Roush exhaust and I really don't think the Roush exhaust is that loud. Frankly I think it's kind of quiet. That's not to say its the next step louder from GT500's but I don't find the Roush to be annoying or intrusive or a "cop magnet" at all. Then again I'm adding Longtubes and an off-road X this week but still. I know people think the Roush AB is obnoxious but I don't think it's loud at all and it's half the price of Borla's. Just my opinion though.
Old 8/3/13, 11:31 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Chaotic Bliss
So I've had the GT500 axle backs on my car for about 2 years now but I have recently found myself looking for a little more sound. To me the GT500's sound good at low rpm but at higher rpm all I really hear is engine noise and not exhaust. Can anyone recommend what the next step up on loudness would be over these? I don't want anything super loud and I don't want any drone either. I also like how under normal driving conditions the GT500's quiet right down.

Thanks
Remove resonators and add longtubes
Old 8/4/13, 05:55 AM

Borla here and there is nothing better
Old 8/4/13, 06:07 AM
V6 Member

I wouldn't understand changing the Axle-backs, but I can see getting a Magnaflow X-pipe. They should add a little bit of power and give it more sound w/o making it drone. Maybe remove the resonator too. That's my plan for mine!
Old 8/4/13, 07:33 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by GT/CS 2013
Borla here and there is nothing better
Hallelujah!!!!!
Old 8/4/13, 06:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Welcome to myself last year at least you lasted 2 years. I lasted 1/2 a year. Loved them at first, then got borla s type axlebacks. That lasted a year then got borla s catbacks. Now I'm proper and happy.

Given that, go borla s type axlebacks FTW. Perhaps catback later on.
How would you describe the difference between the borla axleback vs catback systems? Volume? Sound qualities? Any power gains with the catback?
Old 8/4/13, 06:37 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by thebms

How would you describe the difference between the borla axleback vs catback systems? Volume? Sound qualities? Any power gains with the catback?
Borla axleback = 6.5
Borla catback = 8.5
Gt500 axleback = 3

As far as catback vs axleback for borla, the x pipe and over axles make the difference. It's throatier. More "wide open" sounding and outright mean sounding if you will. Gnarlier. Has a more distinct burble and brapappapp sound when downshifting. I absolutely love it.

Power gains if any, not much. But that's not why I got it. I could care less if it's the same. However, it does feel like it revs up freer and quicker, and butt dyno says more "oomph" up top in the rev range. (I also have an airraid CAI)
Old 8/4/13, 07:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
Before you swap out the axle backs, ditch the resonators. It's cheap and easy and will add volume to your ride. If that's not loud enough for you, ditch the stock H pipe for a 3" H or X pipe and run 3" pipe to the over axle pipe and it will sound great when on throttle and quiet down at cruise like you want. This is what I did and I am very satisfied with the sound.
^^this^^
I've heard this combination and its the best sounding system. It has the DEEP mustang rumble. Borla S-type is my second choice.
Old 8/4/13, 07:13 PM
GT Member

https://themustangsource.com/f800/12...500-ab-523784/
Old 8/5/13, 06:12 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

Borla axleback = 6.5
Borla catback = 8.5
Gt500 axleback = 3

As far as catback vs axleback for borla, the x pipe and over axles make the difference. It's throatier. More "wide open" sounding and outright mean sounding if you will. Gnarlier. Has a more distinct burble and brapappapp sound when downshifting. I absolutely love it.

Power gains if any, not much. But that's not why I got it. I could care less if it's the same. However, it does feel like it revs up freer and quicker, and butt dyno says more "oomph" up top in the rev range. (I also have an airraid CAI)
Thanks for the answer! I'm considering one of these for my GT. Do you have any thoughts on the comparison between the borla offerings an the frpp boss h-pipe and side exhausts?
Old 8/5/13, 07:20 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by thebms
Thanks for the answer! I'm considering one of these for my GT. Do you have any thoughts on the comparison between the borla offerings an the frpp boss h-pipe and side exhausts?
Oh yes... many thoughts

At the time that I had the Borla S Axlebacks, I narrowed down my "upgrade" to two options: Borla S full catbacks, or the Boss H pipe.

After numerous and countless videos (despite the fact that they never truly represent reality in audio), and after many PM's and discussions with owners and members who had each setup, I decided that the Borla full catback was the way to go. Other than the sound (which is obviously a personal preference), I also had reservations of the Boss H due to some prior owners that have quality issues with fitment. On the other hand, Borla has always been touted with high quality and great customer service. To that end, Borla has never disappointed me in any or either.

Good luck with your decision. You can probably tell which way I desire you to sway

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/5/13 at 08:25 PM.
Old 8/5/13, 07:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
resonator del helped me stay alive for a while...but now i m in need for more... thanks y'all for helping me select the next mod

Quick Reply: What is the next step up from the GT500 axle backs?