5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

What mods to prolong engine/car life

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/12, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DONT force it into the next gear...... i recently had my RPM limiter shifted to 7800RPMS
only to find out the tranny doesnt like shifting that HIGH.... so now i shift at 7300 i only needed the extra RPMS cause i was going threw the end of the drag strip at 7500 rpms at 117MP
Old 9/2/12, 11:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
There are two mutually exclusive sentences in that quote.
Indeed, not much you can do to increase longevity when you start racing and modding a car - its just the nature of the beast - increasing horsepower just adds stress to all components of the car (chassis and drivetrain).

If you want the car to have a long happy life, keep it stock, perform regular maintence and constrain your hobby to the non-moving variety.
Old 9/3/12, 03:34 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Indeed, not much you can do to increase longevity when you start racing and modding a car - its just the nature of the beast - increasing horsepower just adds stress to all components of the car (chassis and drivetrain).

If you want the car to have a long happy life, keep it stock, perform regular maintence and constrain your hobby to the non-moving variety.
Indeed. I wasn't expecting the car to be flawless. Just was asking opinions to delay the inevitable break down from the occasional trip to the track.

Although the most important mod would be to change or improve my driving habits/technique and regular maintenance, I have decided against custom tuning and forced induction.

No modifications would be necessary if i did intend to keep this car in the garage or from daily driving. But now my next upgrades are LCAs or full suspension to eliminate the wheel hops on the drag strip. And I promised myself to only push this car to the limit only on days in the track. And keeping the frequency of track days to once per month.