Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

What headers??

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/15, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What headers??

Hello, my Name is Jeff Skaarland, I live in Rock Springs Wyoming, and yesterday I traded in my modded 03 Lightning for A very basic 2012 5.0 stang with a manual six speed. I've been a coyote fan for a while now, but have modded several cars over the last decade. My goals are always "go quickly in a straight line".

Before driving the car, I thought to myself, "gears, drag radials, headers, tune" and we'll see what she'll do. After driving, all holds true except for the gears possibly. 3.31 gears don't sound "quick" at all, but I also didn't realize the 1st gear in these transmissions is way way low, at 3.66:1. So If I ever install a blower, it will probably be a twin screw, with a boat-load of torque, and lower raer-end gears will probably be more detrimental to quickness than if I just left them stock.

So what long-tube headers are you guys using? I know people generally dis-like the BBK's but I had great luck with them on my fox body mustang, and my old 04Cobra, and they happen to be very easy on the wallet compared to others as well. They've always fitted well, including a set I put on a friends 2015 SS Camaro, so.

Also, I notice these mustangs are a lot more ridged then previous generations, so is it still a good idea for subframe connectors like I've installed on every other stang I've ever had my hands on?

I'll also be on drag radials before long, so is there any wheel-hop ordeals that need addressed with aftermarket rear control arms or anything common that is taken care of right off the bat.

Sorry for my very long first post, but I'd like to add that although I've heard of a lot of negative talk on shifting these newer manual six speeds, but so far this thing power-shifts easier than anything I've ever driven, which isn't saying much after being used to the older T56 I had in my 04 Cobra, hahaha. Helluva car these newer 5.0 stangs!!!!
Old 11/1/15, 09:21 AM

Also, are these stock rear axles 28, or 31 spline. Please say 31, as I may never have to even crack the cover off of mine!!!
Old 11/2/15, 08:18 PM

Wheel hop is a problem. You will need new lower control arms at the very least. May want to consider new upper control arm and mount also. I am having a set of Kooks LT headers installed next week with high flow cats. I also hear good things about the American Racing Headers.
Old 11/2/15, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Upper control arm and mount will get rid of wheel hop.
Lower control arms ( at least on mine) did not fix wheel hop at all
the upper got rid of all of it!
31 splint axles in these cars!
Old 11/3/15, 08:10 PM

Good to hear about the 31 spline axles! Also will try just the upper control arm and mount first. I'll have to take a little closer look at the headers. I also had a chance to have a few dig street races the other day, and although 4.10 gears might be a little steep, I might consider 3.73's. It did ok, but if it was at a track with slicks, it would've certainly bogged a bit with the 3.31's.
Old 11/4/15, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I have been using a set of the BBK long tubes for well over 3 years. And I can tell you I have had not one problem with them as far as fitment, leaks, rusting through or any complaints