Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

What do you gain with longtube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/12, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you gain with longtube headers?

Since I am looking into getting a Steeda CAI, cam tune and 2 other tunes, resonator delete with OTA pipe and a high flow catted X-pipe I am wondering if I should go ahead and do the whole thing and get long tube headers.

If so, is there an all inclusive system that would have the LTs, high flow catted x-pipe and resonator delete with OTA to my Roush ABs?

And would that setup be pretty evil sounding?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 7/25/12, 09:45 AM

Long tube headers would require a new x pipe, is money a factor? Is catless an option? Typical gains of longtubes with a catless mid pipe are ~25-35hp, while doing just a catless Midpipe yields 15-20hp gains. The reason why is because we have a pretty good header design from the factory, most people stay away from longtubes with the 5.0 because you don't get much bang for the buck, and it is a pain in the but to install! The sound of longtubes is still incredible, so if money isn't a thing, go for it and I'd recommend having a shop do it as it will at least take 6+ hours IF you're lucky
Old 7/25/12, 10:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grifftech
Since I am looking into getting a Steeda CAI, cam tune and 2 other tunes, resonator delete with OTA pipe and a high flow catted X-pipe I am wondering if I should go ahead and do the whole thing and get long tube headers.

If so, is there an all inclusive system that would have the LTs, high flow catted x-pipe and resonator delete with OTA to my Roush ABs?

And would that setup be pretty evil sounding?

Thanks,
Chris
LTs paired up with the other exhaust stuff would give you some nice HP gains and would make your car LOUD! My car with a similar set-up Dyno'd 421/400 at the wheels (SAE/Smoothing5) in hot Texas summer. I would 100% recommend getting LTs if you have the money, well worth it.

There is a few brands that have full systems, you can check American Muscle to see which one you like. Think all of them are 3" systems that don't get smaller in places like the stock system.

Would it sound evil? That is an understatement!! My 2006 GT has HF cats, SLP X-pipe, and SLP A/Bs and my 2011 makes it sound like a Prius. I'll link a video I have of it, but the video just can't do any justice to how it sounds and how loud it is. I'll do some drive by and normal launch videos later this week if ya want.

Old 7/25/12, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Planeswalker
LTs paired up with the other exhaust stuff would give you some nice HP gains and would make your car LOUD! My car with a similar set-up Dyno'd 421/400 at the wheels (SAE/Smoothing5) in hot Texas summer. I would 100% recommend getting LTs if you have the money, well worth it.

There is a few brands that have full systems, you can check American Muscle to see which one you like. Think all of them are 3" systems that don't get smaller in places like the stock system.

Would it sound evil? That is an understatement!! My 2006 GT has HF cats, SLP X-pipe, and SLP A/Bs and my 2011 makes it sound like a Prius. I'll link a video I have of it, but the video just can't do any justice to how it sounds and how loud it is. I'll do some drive by and normal launch videos later this week if ya want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrM7Ea1KSQs
HOLY F'N SWEET BABY JESUS ON A STICK!!!! That is cat less correct? How different would it sound with a high flow cat??? OMG I want
Old 7/25/12, 10:37 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrM7Ea1KSQs
Wow.
Old 7/25/12, 10:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Sounds nuts!!! I have been looking for a video of LTs with a Roush AB, there's none on YouTube!

Please make those other videos!!!
Old 7/25/12, 01:35 PM
GT Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrM7Ea1KSQs
I have the same setup more or less and almost the exact same HP/Tq. Another highlight is lower temps....the wider tubing diameter compared to OEM allows the air to flow with less resistance.

The sound was the main reason. I went from 358rwhp to 420rwhp/400tq.
Old 7/25/12, 04:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Grifftech, when I get my LT's they will be stainless works, I have seen many videos and they sound great, not to mention all of the R&D they put into their products as well as the fit and finish is top notch. If you're interested in these let me know, I can hook you up with a guy that has the absolute best prices on the in the U.S.
Old 7/25/12, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
Grifftech, when I get my LT's they will be stainless works, I have seen many videos and they sound great, not to mention all of the R&D they put into their products as well as the fit and finish is top notch. If you're interested in these let me know, I can hook you up with a guy that has the absolute best prices on the in the U.S.
That would be sweet!!!
Old 7/25/12, 06:43 PM
Bullitt Member

If I were to get LTs with x-pipe will they the connect up to the factory exhaust from there on back? Most of these I see say 3" pipe, but isn't the stock pipe like 2.75"?
Old 7/25/12, 06:48 PM
GTR Member

People's necks begin to hurt from all the violent head twisting when they turn to see wtf all the racket is haha
Old 7/25/12, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel
People's necks begin to hurt from all the violent head twisting when they turn to see wtf all the racket is haha
Love it!! Haha
Old 7/25/12, 07:07 PM
GTR Member

Love it!! Haha
Ya know it's true
Old 7/25/12, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

If I were to get LTs with x-pipe will they the connect up to the factory exhaust from there on back? Most of these I see say 3" pipe, but isn't the stock pipe like 2.75"?
Been looking into a LT/H pipe combo myself. Many will hook up to your stock over axle pipe which as you know is 2.75.
Old 7/25/12, 08:20 PM
Bullitt Member

To my knowledge, all the standard xpipes will hook up to the stock over axle pipes. Most all exhaust manufacturers create their connections to be 2.75" so that they will hook up to stock connections
Old 7/25/12, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=TheDyno.mp4

Mods are SLP ceramic coated long tube headers w/high flow cats and X-pipe,
Steeda cold air intake and 170 degree thermostat.

The results at the dyno were 413 rwhp and 389 rwtq.

We got 487 at the engine.

93 tune
Attached Images  

Last edited by STUKUP2112; 7/26/12 at 08:14 AM.
Old 7/25/12, 09:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Linky no worky

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 7/25/12 at 10:42 PM.
Old 7/25/12, 10:12 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha-------Bill
Old 7/26/12, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grabberblue 5.0
Is SW's R&D great? Not if your one of the guinea pigs. In January I had my SW headers installed, The passenger side hit the fender and lower control arm. I called SW and they said Yes we know we have a fitment problem. S&W ask for me to send them $$ before they would send out a new passenger side header. SW would not cover one dime on labor for the removal and reinstall.
The money I sent to replacement header was refunded, but I still ate another $400 in labor. And was without a car for two weeks while I waited for the header and could have it installed.

Last edited by Scuba-Matt; 7/26/12 at 07:06 AM.
Old 7/26/12, 09:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wproctor411
I have the same setup more or less and almost the exact same HP/Tq. Another highlight is lower temps....the wider tubing diameter compared to OEM allows the air to flow with less resistance.

The sound was the main reason. I went from 358rwhp to 420rwhp/400tq.
Yeah, the less heat the better. My next mod will be a Steeda Q-series hood with heat extractors.

It's amazing how many people give thumbs up or yell out their window for me to rev it up everytime I drive it. Or the amount of trucks that want to race

Originally Posted by Scuba-Matt
Is SW's R&D great? Not if your one of the guinea pigs. In January I had my SW headers installed, The passenger side hit the fender and lower control arm. I called SW and they said Yes we know we have a fitment problem. S&W ask for me to send them $$ before they would send out a new passenger side header. SW would not cover one dime on labor for the removal and reinstall.
The money I sent to replacement header was refunded, but I still ate another $400 in labor. And was without a car for two weeks while I waited for the header and could have it installed.
That really sucks, I almost went with SW. Actually glad I decided on ceramic BBKs, perfect fit and really nice HP gains; and they have a nice catless X.

Quick Reply: What do you gain with longtube headers?