Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

What are the Best Mods after CAI/Tune/Axelbacks?

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/14, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the Best Mods after CAI/Tune/Axelbacks?

I have 2012 gt auto with C&L cai and tune, plus some gt500 axelbacks. I would like a aftercat x pipe, but from what I ve read the only way to see some hp gains are with off road x pipe and cat deletes or hfc. What are the pros and cons to cat deletes and/or hfc with off-road and/or after cat x pipe?
Old 2/3/14, 07:12 AM
Cobra Member

You're a tuned auto 12' w gt500 a/b just like myself. Next monster gain is a circle d converter, then drag radials. Low 11's. You're exhaust is great ...as you know. If you haven't removed the resonators; replace with straight pipe just so the gt500's can truly growl.

Last edited by 2012GT; 2/3/14 at 07:15 AM.
Old 2/3/14, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GT
You're a tuned auto 12' w gt500 a/b just like myself. Next monster gain is a circle d converter, then drag radials. Low 11's. You're exhaust is great ...as you know. If you haven't removed the resonators; replace with straight pipe just so the gt500's can truly growl.
Nice set up, lol. Is there any cons to removing the resonators? I m working on getting drags. How is the circle d converter with daily driving because mine is a dd?
Old 2/3/14, 01:50 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Easy... Supercharger.
Old 2/3/14, 03:45 PM

Slap a turbo on it and call it a day.
Old 2/3/14, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Suspension mods. Control the power you're making.
Old 2/3/14, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rriddle3
Suspension mods. Control the power you're making.
Got to agree with this... Thoughtful suspension mods, IMHO, can give you the best bang for the buck performance bump. A CAI, dyno tune, and an MGW shifter is a great first round, follow it up with some hardware that can let you plant it to the pavement or carve up the corners and you'll be smiling ear to ear!
Old 2/3/14, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

A supercharger/turbo would be nice but of course I dont have that kind of dough laying around. Well i just bought some sticky tires(staggered), and hoping to buy the wheels this month. After that, I was thinking of a x pipe and/or resonator delete for better flow and growl, and finally some lower control arms to plant those wheels down at the track. My current best time with stock pirellis, tune, and gt500 axlebacks is a 12.6. I would be happy with low 12s.
Old 2/3/14, 07:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GT
How much noticeable gains with CAI and tune? I'm new to the GT mods. Got my GTCS last week and I'm looking to mod. Thanks !
Old 2/3/14, 09:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gruiz_06
Nice set up, lol. Is there any cons to removing the resonators? I m working on getting drags. How is the circle d converter with daily driving because mine is a dd?
I removed my resonator...no issues the only purpose it serves is to control the noise...I am interested to know answer to ur other question...circle d convertor in dd scenario
Old 2/4/14, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

No cons to removing resonantors, just a throatier sound with no drone. The circle d converter is a lockup and very streetable.they have more aggressive stalls but even the streetable ones will put you all in the 11's without effecting street drivability or mpg due to lockup etc.

Last edited by 2012GT; 2/4/14 at 10:56 PM.
Old 2/4/14, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Circle D converter.
Old 2/4/14, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I want to look more into that circle d in the near future. I may just get resonators removed first before i go for a x pipe.

As for the new gt owners. Those gt/cs s are beautiful. It all depends on whether u want to keep ur warranty or not, althougj as long as u remove ur tune before taking it to the ford for any maintenance, u should be fine. Exhaust is a good start and no warranty issues. Cold air intake is also no warranty issue. Tune can be but ford racing offers a package with a tune that is mild but better than stock and u ll keep warranty.
Old 2/5/14, 04:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I want to look more into that circle d in the near future. I may just get resonators removed first before i go for a x pipe.

As for the new gt owners. Those gt/cs s are beautiful. It all depends on whether u want to keep ur warranty or not, althougj as long as u remove ur tune before taking it to the ford for any maintenance, u should be fine. Exhaust is a good start and no warranty issues. Cold air intake is also no warranty issue. Tune can be but ford racing offers a package with a tune that is mild but better than stock and u ll keep warranty.
Let me clear some things up for you. Removing your tune before going in to have service will do you no good as they will see it if they look for it. A CAI shouldn't cause any problems but some dealers will still give you a hard time over it so it's best to stay with the stock CAI as it's better than any of the aftermarket ones out there. And you do lose your drivetrain warranty with the Ford Racing Procal tune. It's replaced by their warranty which is only 3/36.