5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Weird tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/14, 01:22 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Weird tuner question

I am new to this whole tuner thing. I have a 12 with skip shift. I'm thinking of buying a tuner to remove skip shift and program different size tires. I'm one of those annoying people that just wants stuff a certain way for no logical reason. I know you can unplug skip shift and that 275 40 19 tires are only slightly different.

I would like to keep the longevity of a factory tune and change these 2 details of my car.

Is it possible? Has anyone done this? Do these 2 modifications show as a tune and void my warranty? Any answers are appreciated.
Old 1/15/14, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It won't show as a tune per se however, it will show as a flash. This in turn Ford could attempt to void your warranty but they would have to prove your "flash" caused it, which they won't be able to. You can go in and change tire size but I do believe a tuner has to turn off skip shift, I could be wrong though I can't remember.
Just let us know if we can help you out, we are a VMP dealer. Justin at VMP is a magician when making your shifts crisper but that's something completely different then what you asked
Either way, we can take care of ya!
Old 1/15/14, 02:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought most people just disconnected the solenoid.

https://themustangsource.com/f726/ea...5/#post5984901
Old 1/15/14, 02:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
It won't show as a tune per se however, it will show as a flash. This in turn Ford could attempt to void your warranty but they would have to prove your "flash" caused it, which they won't be able to. You can go in and change tire size but I do believe a tuner has to turn off skip shift, I could be wrong though I can't remember. Just let us know if we can help you out, we are a VMP dealer. Justin at VMP is a magician when making your shifts crisper but that's something completely different then what you asked Either way, we can take care of ya!
His car is stick, but other than that...carry on!
Old 1/15/14, 02:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
It won't show as a tune per se however, it will show as a flash. This in turn Ford could attempt to void your warranty but they would have to prove your "flash" caused it, which they won't be able to. You can go in and change tire size but I do believe a tuner has to turn off skip shift, I could be wrong though I can't remember. Just let us know if we can help you out, we are a VMP dealer. Justin at VMP is a magician when making your shifts crisper but that's something completely different then what you asked Either way, we can take care of ya!
Thanks! You are my first choice for any purchase I make. It sounds like I'll probably have to wait. I'll talk to my service guy and see what he says. I'm just glad my weird request is possible.
Old 1/15/14, 02:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Lol, that's true too.
Old 1/15/14, 02:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I thought most people just disconnected the solenoid. https://themustangsource.com/f726/ea...5/#post5984901
Sorry. Don't know how to multi quote on my phone.

Yes, I've read this. Thank you for sharing it. I'm a little weird with this car. It's a simple car to most people but to me, it's a dream. I never thought I own one. Most reasonable people would just unplug it. I have probably overdone every mod on my car. This would be no different. The idea of a lose wire sitting under my car bothers me. I realize this is inconsequential and will have no negative effect on my car. I know it is a waste if money for what I want to do. I also know that it being done "right" will make me happy. Lol, I know I'm being silly with this mod. This car is like the friend in high school that made you do all the things you got in trouble for but you wouldn't not do them again if you had the chance.
Old 1/15/14, 02:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
Most reasonable people would just unplug it. I have probably overdone every mod on my car. This would be no different. The idea of a lose wire sitting under my car bothers me. I realize this is inconsequential and will have no negative effect on my car. I know it is a waste if money for what I want to do. I also know that it being done "right" will make me happy.
I thought I was the only one
Old 1/15/14, 03:00 PM
Post *****

You have a number of "dead end" plugs from the factory on every vehicle depending on what options you declined. You can safely secure the solenoid & plug and waterproof it. I believe the thread even went into that (didn't read it all).
I too love all my machines - they are an extension of me because of the life experience they bring me. However, they are still machines - that can be properly worked on and adjusted.
In the end my machines - just like with my stallions - bring me great enjoyment. However, lest they forget, I am the alpha... and they serve me. I don't bow to them.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/15/14 at 03:03 PM.
Old 1/15/14, 03:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
You have a number of "dead end" plugs from the factory on every vehicle depending on what options you declined. You can safely secure the solenoid & plug and waterproof it. I believe the thread even went into that (didn't read it all). I too love all my machines - they are an extension of me because of the life experience they bring me. However, they are still machines - that can be properly worked on and adjusted. In the end my machines - just like with my stallions - bring me great enjoyment. However, lest they forget, I am the alpha... and they serve me. I don't bow to them.
Lol. Maybe I'll get there someday. I think my car owns me at this point. I do disagree with your statement about my car only being a machine. Shhhh. She might hear you.
Old 1/15/14, 03:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
I thought I was the only one
Lol! I feel better knowing that at least 2 of us are crazy.
Old 1/15/14, 03:11 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Lol. Maybe I'll get there someday. I think my car owns me at this point. I do disagree with your statement about my car only being a machine. Shhhh. She might hear you.

Old 1/15/14, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
lol, whoops.