5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Wavetrac Diff...

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/13, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wavetrac Diff...

I just had to give this a try... Waited at my front door for this bad boy to show up! In about two(2) weeks time, it should be installed. Need to get some differential gear oil, first. Most likely going with Redline 75W140 NS. Moser states gear oil with no friction modifier additive is recommended/required for proper operation. Just cracked the box open and took a few quick pics with the cellphone.

Wavetrac Diff...-image-2722096194.jpg

Wavetrac Diff...-image-53220594.jpg

Wavetrac Diff...-image-2286237380.jpg
Old 1/4/13, 06:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by J Tennu
I just had to give this a try... Waited at my front door for this bad boy to show up! In about two(2) weeks time, it should be installed. Need to get some differential gear oil, first. Most likely going with Redline 75W140 NS. Moser states gear oil with no friction modifier additive is recommended/required for proper operation. Just cracked the box open and took a few quick pics with the cellphone.
Nice! Can't wait to read your review.
Old 1/4/13, 07:18 PM
GT Member

Nice mod list....
Did the ball joints and bump steer kit make a noticable differance?
Old 1/4/13, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ross
Nice mod list....
Did the ball joints and bump steer kit make a noticable differance?
Thanks... Honestly, I wouldn't be able to tell due to installing them at the same time during lowering spring install. I just didn't want to chance having any bump steer after lowering car. Went with the taller ball joints to help correct any geometry change up front from the lowering, as well.
Old 1/5/13, 03:37 AM
V6 Member

Leaning heavily towards this unit for myself ... In for updates.
Old 2/5/13, 08:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Wavetrac is being installed as I type... Ford Motorcraft 80W-90 oil to be used as per Autotech Driveline and Moser's recommendation for oil weight spec. I'll be posting up an update on how it feels with normal driving after everything is completed. Changing out the MGW rear bracket for the redesigned unit, too.
Old 2/5/13, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on the fence between either the Koni Sports or the Koni STR.T's in combination with Steeda Sport springs. Your opinion?

My SMG GT TP should be here in April. Maybe that is why this winter seems to be passing more slowly than normal...
Old 2/5/13, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
I'm on the fence between either the Koni Sports or the Koni STR.T's in combination with Steeda Sport springs. Your opinion?

My SMG GT TP should be here in April. Maybe that is why this winter seems to be passing more slowly than normal...
Get those Koni Sports. You won't regret it.

Diff installed... so far, so good. From the short ride home(snow is starting to fall), seems like it runs quiet and smooth. Can't wait to see how it performs when it warms up a bit.
Old 2/5/13, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What are you expecting over the stock diff?
Old 2/5/13, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get those Koni Sports. You won't regret it.

Diff installed... so far, so good. From the short ride home(snow is starting to fall), seems like it runs quiet and smooth. Can't wait to see how it performs when it warms up a bit.
Thanks a bunch for the info. Looking forward to hearing how the diff performs in warmer weather once you can get on it a little and put some highway miles on it.
Old 2/6/13, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ponywars
What are you expecting over the stock diff?
Well, I had the OEM Traction-Lok diff that had clutch packs. It does a very good job, but I wanted a Torsen-type diff for the occasional road course outing. I went with this unit because it is relatively new to the segment. It may be a little marketing hype, but they state it should be able to handle anything you throw at it. I'm expecting reliability, durability, and consistency over the stock unit.

My short stint with it feels quite good... normal acceleration seems fluid... deceleration and downshifts were good, but I think I hear an audible low-tone gear meshing between 1.5-2k rpm's... no surprises in reverse. More updates after I put a few miles on it and a little spirited driving.
Old 2/9/13, 02:44 PM

Subbed. I'm really interested to read the review after you test it!
Old 12/10/13, 12:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Any updates/review of your new dif?
Old 12/10/13, 03:21 PM
GT Member

Last edited by MKMotorsport; 12/10/13 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12/10/13, 03:29 PM
GT Member

Well, I had the OEM Traction-Lok diff that had clutch packs. It does a very good job, but I wanted a Torsen-type diff for the occasional road course outing. I went with this unit because it is relatively new to the segment. It may be a little marketing hype, but they state it should be able to handle anything you throw at it. I'm expecting reliability, durability, and consistency over the stock unit.

My short stint with it feels quite good... normal acceleration seems fluid... deceleration and downshifts were good, but I think I hear an audible low-tone gear meshing between 1.5-2k rpm's... no surprises in reverse. More updates after I put a few miles on it and a little spirited driving.
updates? I'm trying to decide between this and a True-Trac...Heard great things about the Wavetrac but its 3X the price of a True-Trac!

My Thunderbird has an Auburn Pro series cone diff. It's moany-groany in low speed turning/parking/backup type maneuvers. Do you plan on trying to adjust the bias ratio at all? I know they advertise that as one of the features.

Last edited by MKMotorsport; 12/10/13 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12/10/13, 04:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
No experience with this one, but the OEM Ford TORSEN diff has proven excellent for road course type driving. It hooks up fantastically (when tires are warm of course).

Just throwing that out there based on my experiences so far.
Old 12/11/13, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

If I could do it over again, I would have gotten a Torsen... not because the Wavetrac is no good... quite the very opposite, but the Torsen could be installed or easily serviced by a Ford service dept., if needed. The Wavetrac does as advertised and seems extremely strong for both road course and 1/4 mile stints.

Furthermore, I had a speed shop throw it in... a few months later a c-clip came loose at speed and driver-side rear axle was luckily being kept at bay by the brake rotor! I was not a happy camper. A Ford Service Dept. fixed the issue after ordering a new pair of c-clips from Autotech Driveline, plus brake rotor and pad damage replacement.

If you go this route, make sure you have a reputable shop install the unit... the same shop couldn't sort out my custom dyno-tune they did for me and never called me back! Wavetrac can take the stock diff oil, but NO FRICTION MODIFIER TO BE ADDED!
Old 12/12/13, 12:54 PM
GT Member

If I could do it over again, I would have gotten a Torsen... not because the Wavetrac is no good... quite the very opposite, but the Torsen could be installed or easily serviced by a Ford service dept., if needed. The Wavetrac does as advertised and seems extremely strong for both road course and 1/4 mile stints.

Furthermore, I had a speed shop throw it in... a few months later a c-clip came loose at speed and driver-side rear axle was luckily being kept at bay by the brake rotor! I was not a happy camper. A Ford Service Dept. fixed the issue after ordering a new pair of c-clips from Autotech Driveline, plus brake rotor and pad damage replacement.

If you go this route, make sure you have a reputable shop install the unit... the same shop couldn't sort out my custom dyno-tune they did for me and never called me back! Wavetrac can take the stock diff oil, but NO FRICTION MODIFIER TO BE ADDED!

Yikes! So you had a C-clip let loose after the Wavetrac install!? I'd be asking for every penny of my $ back from those fools. They probably re-used the old c-clips or damaged them prying them off, then just "sorta" got them back on there good enough. Lucky you or someone else wasn't injured or killed. That is a major blunder in my book.

The torsen type is just more time proven. I'm sure the Wavetrac works nice too but until they can bring the price into a "more competitive" range I think I'm going to reconsider this one as well.

Last edited by MKMotorsport; 12/12/13 at 12:59 PM.
Old 1/4/14, 03:09 AM
Cobra R Member

If I could do it over again, I would have gotten a Torsen... not because the Wavetrac is no good... quite the very opposite, but the Torsen could be installed or easily serviced by a Ford service dept., if needed. The Wavetrac does as advertised and seems extremely strong for both road course and 1/4 mile stints. Furthermore, I had a speed shop throw it in... a few months later a c-clip came loose at speed and driver-side rear axle was luckily being kept at bay by the brake rotor! I was not a happy camper. A Ford Service Dept. fixed the issue after ordering a new pair of c-clips from Autotech Driveline, plus brake rotor and pad damage replacement. If you go this route, make sure you have a reputable shop install the unit... the same shop couldn't sort out my custom dyno-tune they did for me and never called me back! Wavetrac can take the stock diff oil, but NO FRICTION MODIFIER TO BE ADDED!
Which Torsen are you referencing above and why? I've found at least 2 different Torsen models.