Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

VMP E85 Tune - First Impression

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/12, 06:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I just bought and loaded up VMP's E85 tune. Drove down to the dash reflecting 30 miles to E, and filled up with 13.5 gallons of E85 - giving me an effective rating of about E71. While I was initially a bit worried, a few quick searches assured me these tunes are fine down to as low as E70, to take into account the winter blend of E85 registering about E70.

Now, I've been running Steeda's 93 octane cam tune for the last 8000 miles or so, and absolutely love it. So long as you blip the throttle when starting, and know how to drive a big cam car, it's fantastic. Now, however, I'm looking to bump up my output a bit, and end my frustration of the drive thru attendants screaming "hold on, I can't hear you over the train going by!" - so E85 it is.

First and foremost, my car has never idled so smoothly. I had swapped back to the stock tune for a day prior, to get ready to load up the E85 tune on my flasher. The idle is dead on, no hunting, no dips, and sits dead on at 650 RPM. For reference, my stock idle would sit between 700-775, and would raise decently when using the AC.

It seems Justin has lowered the temperature setting for when the fans kick on, and I'm extremely grateful for that! We've been cooking here in Western MD lately, and I was seeing higher water temps than I felt comfortable with. It's a little cooler this week, so we'll see what I run at when/if it heats up again.

The throttle response is very similar to Steeda's non-cam tune, but - and I'm really not sure if this is the E85, or not - the power comes on so, so smoothly. She just wants to pull hard all the way through the rev band, and power feels improved throughout. I can't wait to get this thing on the dyno and see for sure if my butt-dyno is calibrated properly. Low end torque feels significantly improved.

Rolling back on the throttle causes significantly less jerking than before, with a faint clunk from the two-piece driveshaft, but it really doesn't feel as harsh as stock even. All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with this tune; Justin's drive ability is truly second to none, and this is the only tune other than Steeda's non-cam tune I've really found no faults with. This thing just purrs. Lund's tune is very powerful, and great for WOT, but just isn't as refined when puttering around. Consider this a glowing recommendation for VMP, and Justin was extremely helpful with answering my initial questions (sorry if I bugged you!)

Last edited by KonaBlue5.0; 9/8/12 at 06:05 PM.
Old 9/8/12, 06:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh? We can run E85 in our 5.0's?

I must be missing some info on your car.
Old 9/8/12, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I pretty sure you can get a tune for a stock car for E85. Now for higher hp applications it needs bigger injectors... More so than a gasoline equivalent due to the demand for more E85
Old 9/8/12, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Well yea, I'm sure you can get a tune written for just about anything.
I just hadn't heard of anyone running ethanol yet, that's all
Old 9/8/12, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Most fuel systems are safe to run E85 these days - no need to swap in a different fuel rail, fuel lines, etc.

Luckily, Ford built these 5.0's with enough overhead (injectors) to safely run E85 on a mostly stock car without worries regarding maxing out the fuel injectors. If I were to step up to a Boss intake manifold, however, I would definitely need to pick up a set of 47lb injectors to keep up with the fuel demand.

My only mods are this E85 tune, offroad H-pipe and GT500 mufflers. Perfectly safe, and based on previous dyno testing, folks have seen significant gains running E85 with more timing - to the tune of 20+ rwhp, although that car did have long tubes as well. That car, prior to E85, put down 424rwhp, and jumped to 451 with E85. It's delicious.
Old 9/8/12, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Interesting
Old 9/8/12, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tron84
Interesting
Most definitely. More power, less emissions, motor runs cooler due to the ethanol, and the car doesn't stink of gas anymore. What's not to love?
Old 9/8/12, 06:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
More power, less emissions, motor runs cooler due to the ethanol, and the car doesn't stink of gas anymore. What's not to love?
^Yes, all good things^

Why isn't anyone else doing it then?
Because it can be hard to find?
Old 9/8/12, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

There are many places that don't have a sufficient E85 supply; the only station near me is 20 miles away, then over 60 to get to the next.

Beyond that, many aren't convinced the ethanol is safe for the rubber throughout the fuel system. Many have been running it for years without a hitch.

The power gains are much more impressive for forced induction cars, and so the power gains help to rationalize the distance you may have to travel. I happen to work a few miles from said nearest station, so it's no biggy to me.

Last edited by KonaBlue5.0; 9/8/12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 9/8/12, 07:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes Justin's tunes are the beet all around. I have run several auto tunes and always go back to his. Drivabilty is second to none. I should try his e85 tune.