Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Tuning questions... PLEASE HELP...

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/14, 03:10 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuning questions... PLEASE HELP...

I am looking at possibly doing this to my 2014 GT... pretty new at this, so please bear with me... I have done some research on units, and I am leaning on the STEEDA SCT option, or maybe VMP... I have heard AED is good as well... I know there is a FORD RACING unit out there as well... regardless with what I get, I am really not wanting to void my warranty... are all these pretty safe, and I assume I can do myself??? any help/comments/advice, would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 5/23/14, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am getting ready to do a tune/track key for my 2014 GT and also want to preserve some sort of warranty. The research I have done concludes that the ONLY way to tune your car AND have warranty coverage is to go with the Ford racing ProCal or Track Key AND have it installed by a Ford dealership. And even with that, your factory power train warranty gets voided but Ford racing will cover your power train for 3 years/36,000 miles AS LONG AS the tune is installed by a dealership and they submit the proof to Ford. It might not be the best/most powerful tune, but I'm not ready to void my warranty on a brand new car, so it'll serve me just fine!
Old 5/23/14, 07:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rynaldo
I am looking at possibly doing this to my 2014 GT... pretty new at this, so please bear with me... I have done some research on units, and I am leaning on the STEEDA SCT option, or maybe VMP... I have heard AED is good as well... I know there is a FORD RACING unit out there as well... regardless with what I get, I am really not wanting to void my warranty... are all these pretty safe, and I assume I can do myself??? any help/comments/advice, would be greatly appreciated!!!
While I can't speak on the warranty aspect of it all, I know steeda, LUND, AED and VMP (mainly does tuning for supercharger applications) all provide great tunes.

Tunes really wake the care up so I highly recommend it. I went with Bama through americanmuscle because 1 i didn't know better and 2 its nice that you get free tunes for life. They are super easy to install, you get the little hand held device plug it into your OBD2 port under your steering wheel then follow the prompts on the screen, boom thats it.
Old 5/23/14, 11:19 AM
GT Member

some great advice... anyone used the SCT iTSX Wireless Tuner yet?
Old 5/23/14, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will vouch for Steeda tunes being very very good. I recently loaded a new Steeda tune into my car and that tune is spot on. But let me also say this. I have a 2011 GT that is mostly just a track car. I have probably close to 200 passes on my car at the strip all with tunes. I think if anybody's car was going to break, it would be mine by now lol.

Admittedly too though my car is the AT. You're much less likely to break anything with an AT.
Old 5/24/14, 08:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Do not buy this. It's a piece of crap. I have it for my Escape and I truly regret buying it. I wish I just went for the handheld. Just get the X4 and never look back!
Old 5/24/14, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Do not buy this. It's a piece of crap. I have it for my Escape and I truly regret buying it. I wish I just went for the handheld. Just get the X4 and never look back!
It's not a piece of crap if you take the time to load the more recent firmware updates. I've used mine for 2 years now and while it was a bit buggy early on it is nice and stable now.
It works great with an iPad or iPhone and is extremely easy to use.
I've used both the iTSX and a hand held and much prefer using the iTSX.
Old 5/24/14, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by speednut
It's not a piece of crap if you take the time to load the more recent firmware updates. I've used mine for 2 years now and while it was a bit buggy early on it is nice and stable now. It works great with an iPad or iPhone and is extremely easy to use. I've used both the iTSX and a hand held and much prefer using the iTSX.
It is easy to use. When it works. Which is less than half the time. And it's complete bs that you have to update the **** dongle so often, and if you update your app, the dongle becomes a brick if you want to change your tune. And you can only update it on a PC, so if you have a Mac that you use with your iPhone, you're SOL.

That, to me, is a piece of crap. The handheld doesn't have these issues, at least that I'm aware of.
Old 5/24/14, 06:53 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems getting it to work. I don't have any issues using mine. You should try updating the firmware before you **** all over the product.
Old 5/24/14, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by speednut
Sorry to hear about your problems getting it to work. I don't have any issues using mine. You should try updating the firmware before you **** all over the product.
I'm going to tomorrow, but my point is I shouldn't have to. It was working fine. Why do they update the app, which breaks the dongle? If you're going to do that, then make the app auto update the dongle over Bluetooth. SCT tried to be cutting edge and failed.
Old 5/25/14, 04:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, shoot us a message. We provide custom tuning and can tell you that our tunes are not only going to make power but are safe, efficient and will actually net you higher MPGs. Tunes are about efficiency, the more efficient your engine runs the more it makes. We have over 10k tunes just for the s197 platform and we continue to make hundreds of customers happy each month.
Old 5/27/14, 03:49 AM
GT Member

appreciate the info and help all... I will do some more research before I jump into a tune...
Old 5/27/14, 11:19 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
howdy frm clear lake.. looks like u got all the help. i dd bama as for the free for life tune... i keep updating this as i get new parts... till i get superchager then i will get big boys tune
Old 6/6/14, 10:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
howdy frm clear lake.. looks like u got all the help. i dd bama as for the free for life tune... i keep updating this as i get new parts... till i get superchager then i will get big boys tune
sounds awesome... I am leaning on the AED tune from Shaun, but also looking hard at the steeda tune as well... should I get a brand new cai as well like STEEDA sells with their tune and sct tuner? I am still going to probably wait just a bit, I would really hate to kill my warranty so early in the game... but a future mod for sure!!!
Old 6/6/14, 10:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ cai was total waste of money as many of members/forums would suggest.. just do the tune you will feel happy. we have meet tonight 9.30 at 5900 Memorial Dr, Houston, TX. if you are free just drop in
Old 6/6/14, 10:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

sounds awesome... I am leaning on the AED tune from Shaun, but also looking hard at the steeda tune as well... should I get a brand new cai as well like STEEDA sells with their tune and sct tuner? I am still going to probably wait just a bit, I would really hate to kill my warranty so early in the game... but a future mod for sure!!!
I'll be having AED baseline and dyno tune my car within the next couple months. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited by laserred38; 6/6/14 at 12:35 PM.
Old 6/6/14, 12:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
^ cai was total waste of money as many of members/forums would suggest.. just do the tune you will feel happy. we have meet tonight 9.30 at 5900 Memorial Dr, Houston, TX. if you are free just drop in
thanks for the info and invite... will try to get out of the house, but if not, I will hit you guys up asap...
Old 6/6/14, 12:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'll be having AED baseline and dyno then my car within the next couple months. I'll let you know how it goes.
sounds great!!! good luck!!!
Old 6/6/14, 12:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

sounds great!!! good luck!!!
Thanks, they're semi local to me!