Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Tunes for Performance and Ecomony???

Search this Thread

Old 2/3/11, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tunes for Performance and Ecomony???

I'm planning on getting an SCT tuner through AM in the next few weeks. I see it comes with 3 tunes and most people get something like a 87, 91, and 93 octane tune...all of which increase performance over stock.

I have a couple questions about the tunes...

For those who have three tunes, which one do you find yourself using most?

Is the 93 race tune good for the street? I'm not sure which tune people feel is most suitable to normal daily driving in terms of drivability or tradeoffs vs. the other two less aggresive tunes. Or, do you normally run the "middle" tune and only load the race tune when you go to the track?

Also, in reference to my thread title...has anyone gotten a tune for economy? Before anyone pokes fun at me for asking about fuel economy with a muscle car...my thinking was that I could get a street tune for like 89 octane, a 93 octane race tune, and then some type of economy tune. I make a few long trips each year and figured if they make some type of economy tune, it would be worth loading it up just for the trip, and then I could return it to a performance or race tune for my daily driving. But I haven't seen anyone else do this...so I'm not sure if anyone makes any tunes that are designed specifically to increase fuel economy.

Lastly, we have emissions testing here in northern VA. Do you have to return your car to the stock tune to pass an emissions test? Or, will I be able to leave the tune and not have to worrry about it?

What do you think?
Old 2/3/11, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine came with the 3 canned tunes but I have yet to get any custom tunes. They are a great unit and the tunes for life deal is pretty much awesome
Old 2/3/11, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Everett
Mine came with the 3 canned tunes but I have yet to get any custom tunes. They are a great unit and the tunes for life deal is pretty much awesome
What are the octanes of your tunes? Do you run the race tune mostly?...or do you run the middle tune daily on the street?

I'm just trying to get as much info as I can prior to ordering the Bama tunes so I can ask for what is best. I appreciate your input. Yep...I agree about the tunes for life. I'm planning different mods but can't do them all at once...so it's nice to know I can go back and update my tune when needed.

Thanks!
Old 2/3/11, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Dewyrussler

What are the octanes of your tunes? Do you run the race tune mostly?...or do you run the middle tune daily on the street?

I'm just trying to get as much info as I can prior to ordering the Bama tunes so I can ask for what is best. I appreciate your input. Yep...I agree about the tunes for life. I'm planning different mods but can't do them all at once...so it's nice to know I can go back and update my tune when needed.

Thanks!
I have the 87,91,93 canned tunes and they are amazing and I have yet to hear of anyone complain about the bama tunes,and free tunes for life is fantastic and they will tweak the tunes to whatever you prefer. I think those tunes are more than enough for a bolt on mustang. If your boosted you will want a dyno tune but every thread I have read on bama has been positive
Old 2/3/11, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

The canned tunes don't have race,street or anything just octane. However you can adjust an auto tranny to shift at whatever speed you program,firmer shifts,timing advance and retard in 3 rpm ranges,rear gear adjust,different tire size,what temp the low and high speed fans kick in...fantastic unit and a must for nitrous tuning
Old 2/4/11, 06:53 AM

Thanks Everett. Sounds like I'll be happy with the SCT set up with tunes like yours. Which one do you normally keep loaded for daily driving?