Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/13, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension help

So I'm lookin at upgrading my suspension on my '12 gt and I am COMPLETELY lost in terms of what I would need and whatnot...I've never had a good grasp of suspension stuff and what it does and because of this I have a ton of questions...I use my car for daily driving, mostly highway with a little bit of city...I was lookin at goin with steeda sport springs, Koni shocks and struts (don't know which ones) and then uca's, lca's, and a panhard bar but I don't know what to look for in the control arms and stuff...also some sort of understand as to what all this stuff does...
Old 1/31/13, 06:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I would suggest re-posting this in the suspension section as someone may only check their for threads like this. That being said, I cannot tell you exactly what each unit does, however as far as products go I would check out White Line suspension, Steeda, Kenny Brown, and if you call Maximum Motorsports I am sure you can get a hold of someone that can explain everything in detail. I think you would feel a big difference in changing LCA's since the stock ones, even the track pack mustangs, are poo. The bushings and the LCA itself can twist under bumps and the like. Also the LCA/UCA combo should cure some/all of your wheel hop depending on your car and driving habits. I would also suggest after doing some research to check out a PDX or HPDE event near you and track the car so you can get a feel for what it is you want to improve.
Old 1/31/13, 06:46 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll send you a PM for the details but there are a few packages that would help achieve your goals with what you do with your Mustang.
Old 1/31/13, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FIRST: Analyze what it is about your current suspension you want to improve.

THEN: Look through all the suspension threads to see what might be appropriate to the deficiencies you note.
Old 1/31/13, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by frank s
FIRST: Analyze what it is about your current suspension you want to improve.

THEN: Look through all the suspension threads to see what might be appropriate to the deficiencies you note.
i've been digging through the forums and all i find is people saying they bought so-and-so's uca's amd lca's and then other people saying good choice and hope it works out for ya...
Old 1/31/13, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay so what is the problem you're having with your suspension?
Old 1/31/13, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
Okay so what is the problem you're having with your suspension?
I'm just looking for some guidance really...and some knowledge so I don't just throw parts at my car without knowing what they're doing...
Old 2/1/13, 06:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by nateakabrog
I'm just looking for some guidance really...and some knowledge so I don't just throw parts at my car without knowing what they're doing...
Contact Maximum for information, if you call on the phone I am sure they will talk your ear off. Then figure out what that means based on what you want to do.
Old 2/1/13, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Call Kelly at BMR....cant go wrong with a full BMR setup. Made in America, great customer service and their products are awesome.
Old 2/1/13, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Unless you have some kind of competition in mind, the stock suspension is likely quite good for your purposes. If you like the sensation of flatter attitude when cornering and braking, springs and sway bars will help. If you like the feeling of a firmer ride, springs, again, and upgraded struts/shocks will make the car feel better in transitions.

"I just want to improve the handling". Sure. What's wrong with the handling now? What kind of circumstances show the lack of handling you're complaining about? The single most effective mod for "improving handling" is a stiffer rear sway bar. It provides a quicker response to steering inputs, and (in most cases) won't take you to a place you don't want to be (excessive oversteer). Instant Improved Handling.

The sensation of improved handling is one thing; actual cornering improvements is another. Lots of science available online, but go back to the first question: what's the matter with the way it works now?

Ninety percent of modifications are of the "Mount Everest" variety: I mod because I can (and everyone else is doing it).

I don't mean to discourage anyone from modding their Mustang. It's just that unless the owner is going to get to the edge of the car's potential performance, all that expensive hardware is just along for the ride, MORE than 90% of the time. Even the stock Mustang GT 5.0 is so potent it's like "driving a loaded gun". That should be plenty for almost everyone. Too much, for many of us...

After all that, you''ll never be able to tell what changes you want to make until you drive your car or another one like it that has had specific changes made. The big danger (one that I have fallen prey to) is that you'll get lots of advice, make some choices, find they are wrong, and have to start over. It can be fun, but discouraging. What usually happens is that the choices won't be that bad, and your natural tendency is to decide they were the best choices, talk them up to others, and fall into the "cognitive dissonance" trap, where you ignore or deprecate information that conflicts with your choices. It's often an expression of that drive when people with one set of experiences claim "the best" for their choices.

Such is life. Enjoy your car. Get a few autocrosses under your belt: you'll be a better, safer driver, and be able to make decent decisions about what you need or don't need.

/sermon/
Old 2/2/13, 12:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm out of shop for a little while yet but would suggest you call me. I won't get into a big song and dance so I'll make it quick and to the point.

14 SCCA National Championships. I live in Western PA and have to have my stuff streetable. Most of my customers are street drivers NOT driving full tilt racing cars. I am a dealer for MM, Steeda, and many other things (some of which I love, some I don't but offer anyway to those that just don't want to hear my opinion and want what they insist on).

I am not married to any one shock for example like MM or Steeda is. I prefer Koni, but offer Bilstein and Tokico too. Also a lot of coil-overs like H&R, Eibach, KW, just to name a few. I make a few parts that I felt I could improve on, very few. Otherwise I'm happy to sell other brands I trust for the use. I'm not out to rule the world with a full line of Strano Performance Parts.

Anyway, I'm back in the shop on 2/11. I really can't make a recommendation without having a real conversation with you to hammer out some details about what you seek as a result and to answer any questions you might have.

If you want and can hang in there, please feel free to call.
Old 2/5/13, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Frank, that's about the best advice I've read.

I'll be doing business with Strano soon.
Old 2/9/13, 02:46 PM

Well I was gonna say "Get in contact with Sam Strano" but he beat me to the punch.
Old 2/10/13, 05:36 PM

I'll give you a call tomorrow Sam
Old 2/11/13, 12:12 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

This is exactly how I feel as well. I don't like looking at the sky when I take off, and the ground when I break, plus I've done the LCA fix and I still get a bit of a groan so I know I want to do an upgrade (and just a little lowering as well)... threads like these really help those of us who don't know much about suspension, thanks for the contacts. I'll also contact Sam when I'm ready to do mine as well.