5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Super charging my 2013 GT

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/14, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slostang
Not quite, centrifugal superchargers don't make instant power, they have the manors on a turbo.

You'll make big power up top but it'll be a little lazy on the hit.

OP, what are your plans do you want big numbers? Or a street race king? And a senior in high school? That's a ton of car, best of luck.
that's why i didn't even bother mentioning them. they never really interested me.

Last edited by TheDivaDanielle; 3/24/14 at 08:46 PM.
Old 3/25/14, 05:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
that's why i didn't even bother mentioning them. they never really interested me.
You said "ANY" supercharger, I was just clearing it up so people new in this field won't get confused
Old 3/25/14, 05:23 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
But the centrifugal chargers do serve a great purpose also. Just depends on what characteristic you need/prefer. If I were to buy another cobra pre-03, it would have a Vortec or Paxton. Sometimes I would really appreciate the lag for a couple seconds. Especially in first gear. Little less torque in the lower rpm range primarily for traction. Smoking the tires at 2500rpm ain't helping anything.
Old 3/25/14, 05:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by alex42
Have a new 2013 GT I've been driving for a few months, it's automatic and I want to super charge it could anyone help recommend super chargers and parts to help my car handle it.... within a good price range. (I'm a senior in high school with some money but not all in the world to spend) I've looked into one roush super charger so far on American muscle

Really? When I was in high school, I too had a V8 coupe...but mine had a 2bbl carb, skinny tires, a 2.73 rear axle....and I STILL almost killed myself in that car a hundred times. No way I'd be alive if that thing went like a Coyote Mustang.

I'm not here to make a commentary on how the heck a high school kid gets his hands on a $35,000 420hp performance car (nevermind the budget for a $6000+ modificiation) but this might be a good learning moment for appreciating what you already have.

I don't mean to be "that guy" but a weekend driving school will likely help a kid get WAY more out of a car like this, improve his/her odds of surviving to the age of 19 and it will be a lot cheaper too.

Just my opinion.
Old 3/25/14, 06:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
It sounds like you are using this car as your DD and personally, I would grab a Vortec or Paxton or a Procharger unit. They are cheap, make great power, have cooler IAT's and because it is your DD you won't be making full boost at the lower RPM's and shredding your tires all the time. With the way a centrifugal supercharger works is it builds boost in a linear fashion, so the higher the RPM's are the more boost it makes which is ideal for DD duty. If you are really looking for some sound then check out some of the Procharger unit's as the whistle they give is very distinctive and can be heard from a bit of a ways away and the Big Red BOV in and of it's self is a bit intoxicating, the only thing I am not fond of is the placement of the air intake on them.

Originally Posted by alex42
Screw it Going With kenne and bell
That is a lot of money for something that a Whipple can accomplish easily considering you probably aren't going to be building your motor.
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I don't like methanol injection but it can and will save your motor to a certain extent. Just one more component to be concerned with. I would just trade her on a Shelby before I spent all that cash on a maxed out setup. That sounds like a $7k hit vs a few more $k on a car already at that hp. Just my opinion.
Plus you have to find someone competent enough to tune for meth, but with tuners like Lund Racing and JPC who tune those kind of cars all the time, that shouldn't be a huge issue. Then all you have to do is keep it filled lol
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
But the centrifugal chargers do serve a great purpose also. Just depends on what characteristic you need/prefer. If I were to buy another cobra pre-03, it would have a Vortec or Paxton. Sometimes I would really appreciate the lag for a couple seconds. Especially in first gear. Little less torque in the lower rpm range primarily for traction. Smoking the tires at 2500rpm ain't helping anything.
That is sort of my stance on everything, if you don't have the traction to put the power to the ground then what is the use of all the power if you can't utilize it all.
Old 3/25/14, 02:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Really? When I was in high school, I too had a V8 coupe...but mine had a 2bbl carb, skinny tires, a 2.73 rear axle....and I STILL almost killed myself in that car a hundred times. No way I'd be alive if that thing went like a Coyote Mustang. I'm not here to make a commentary on how the heck a high school kid gets his hands on a $35,000 420hp performance car (nevermind the budget for a $6000+ modificiation) but this might be a good learning moment for appreciating what you already have. I don't mean to be "that guy" but a weekend driving school will likely help a kid get WAY more out of a car like this, improve his/her odds of surviving to the age of 19 and it will be a lot cheaper too. Just my opinion.
not an old guy, yet. But I have to agree with ^^.
Old 3/25/14, 02:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
VMP TVS is a great option.
Old 3/25/14, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
+1. If I had money for a supercharger, that's what I would go with
Old 3/25/14, 04:24 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by STUKUP2112
I plan on installing a Roush R2300 675HP Supercharger - Phase 3 Kit with methanol injection. Hopefully getting 600RWHP. What's your opinion on this combo ?

You'd be better off getting a custom Roush kit, you won't be able to run the Roush Phase 3 tune with methanol.

Shoot me a message on custom package options.
Old 3/28/14, 10:06 PM
GT Member

I made 680 rwhp and 577 tq AND it's AUTO which is about 20% drive train loss, with my vortect backed it down to 600 until motor is fully built. thats over 800 hp to the crank.

its not like a turbo your creating boost at idle and dumping it.
Old 3/29/14, 03:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

X2 to that!
Old 3/29/14, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

I was faced with this decision and actually put a down payment on a Vortec kit but changed my mind before paying it off and I'm glad I did. My Roush kit makes great power and the oem look you get is also great . Any of the blower kits can get you past what the stock block can handle with enough boost and supporting mods like exhaust and CAI. The TVS kits can get you well past that and the Roush kits are probably the most efficient of the PD type blowers and the VMP kits add to that with their upgraded heat exchanger. All that porting mess with the VMP kits really get you no gain over the Roush kits until your going above 15 psi so if you are staying with the stock block then you can save a few pennies and just get a roush kit.

Last edited by Burke985; 3/29/14 at 08:08 AM.
Old 3/29/14, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Burke985
I was faced with this decision and actually put a down payment on a Vortec kit but changed my mind before paying it off and I'm glad I did. My Roush kit makes great power and the oem look you get is also great . Any of the blower kits can get you past what the stock block can handle with enough boost and supporting mods like exhaust and CAI. The TVS kits can get you well past that and the Roush kits are probably the most efficient of the PD type blowers and the VMP kits add to that with their upgraded heat exchanger. All that porting mess with the VMP kits really get you no gain over the Roush kits until your going above 15 psi so if you are staying with the stock block then you can save a few pennies and just get a roush kit.
A TVS is what, a 2.3? That 2.3 "can" make over 900? I find that a tad on the extreme side. As 900 is about the fail point of windowing the block. Piston and rods(rods) are in the high 6 low 7 range.
Old 3/29/14, 09:36 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Really? When I was in high school, I too had a V8 coupe...but mine had a 2bbl carb, skinny tires, a 2.73 rear axle....and I STILL almost killed myself in that car a hundred times. No way I'd be alive if that thing went like a Coyote Mustang. I'm not here to make a commentary on how the heck a high school kid gets his hands on a $35,000 420hp performance car (nevermind the budget for a $6000+ modificiation) but this might be a good learning moment for appreciating what you already have. I don't mean to be "that guy" but a weekend driving school will likely help a kid get WAY more out of a car like this, improve his/her odds of surviving to the age of 19 and it will be a lot cheaper too. Just my opinion.
This quote right here is the end all be all. Case closed. Great post. You said what I wanted to say but didn't have the marbles to, so thanks
Old 3/29/14, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by slostang
A TVS is what, a 2.3? That 2.3 "can" make over 900? I find that a tad on the extreme side. As 900 is about the fail point of windowing the block. Piston and rods(rods) are in the high 6 low 7 range.
Not following , how did you get this out of what I said. I never said anything about a 2.3 TVS making 900 hp.
Old 3/29/14, 09:17 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't think you will ever make 900 with a 2.3 TVS. Maybe close to it with the Boss motor but I doubt if that even will make 800. Shelby will do it probably but why even try for 900 with a 2.3 when there are bigger blowers. I hope most of you guys grasp the concept of different size blowers. You can always go one step up on the blower and tone it down with pulleys. Making it work much less and produce more power with less boost pressure. Lot more efficiency also.
Old 3/30/14, 05:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The TVS kits can get you well past that and the Roush kits are probably the most efficient of the PD type blowers and the VMP kits add to that with their upgraded heat exchanger. All that porting mess with the VMP kits really get you no gain over the Roush kits until your going above 15 psi so if you are staying with the stock block then you can save a few pennies and just get a roush kit.
The VMP TVS has a few options though you can't get with a Roush. Like you stated an upgraded heat exchanger for one but with dual fans that really help with iat's. Also you don't have to repin anything as the kit comes with a plug and play harness. No BAP required with the Stage 1 or 2 kit as well. Just injectors needed. And the VMP stage 1 kit is $6000, the same price I believe as the Roush. All VMP kits come with an SCT and a tune from Justin. Arguably the best tuner at tuning these Roush blowers.
Old 3/30/14, 06:15 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
The VMP TVS has a few options though you can't get with a Roush. Like you stated an upgraded heat exchanger for one but with dual fans that really help with iat's. Also you don't have to repin anything as the kit comes with a plug and play harness. No BAP required with the Stage 1 or 2 kit as well. Just injectors needed. And the VMP stage 1 kit is $6000, the same price I believe as the Roush. All VMP kits come with an SCT and a tune from Justin. Arguably the best tuner at tuning these Roush blowers.
Sounds similar to my Maggie kit. Came with SCT kit and tune, injectors, and of course a 2.3 TVS. Can't go wrong with those "basics", IMO.
Old 3/30/14, 09:22 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
I totally agree man. If I hadn't gone Roush and had bought a GT instead and then modded it,...it would be VMP all the way.
Old 3/30/14, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not following , how did you get this out of what I said. I never said anything about a 2.3 TVS making 900 hp.
You said the TVS will make more then the block can handle, and I was simply telling you that it's far off. The 2.3 MAY make 800, but with everything being good, the block will be safe.

Quick Reply: Super charging my 2013 GT