Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Starting to mod my 5.0!

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/13, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These cars run in closed loop 100% of the time so I think detonation from a lean AFR is fairly unlikely. A couple degrees of extra ignition advance is more likely the cause.
Old 12/3/13, 08:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 65sohc
These cars run in closed loop 100% of the time so I think detonation from a lean AFR is fairly unlikely. A couple degrees of extra ignition advance is more likely the cause.
I don't have a clue what that means. Lol
Old 2/20/14, 01:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tormz

Have you figured this out yet? Inquiring minds would like to know
After taking my car to Addiction Motorsports and having it professionally tuned I found out 2 things. One the AFR was indeed set wrong, and 2 there is a manufacturer defect in a percentage of a percentage of 5.0s that have an issue with the "neutral ignition profile", its a program in the ECU. Basically when we had it up on the dyno once we got to 5500 rpm we would get an engine light flash with a "random misfire detected" code (p0300 I believe) so after I took it back to work (I work at a ford dealer) I talked to the tech that handles the ECU stuff and he is the one who told me about the manufacturer defect. The easiest way to tell if your vehicle has it is to get in between 5500-6500 rpm and hold there for just a few seconds and if a) you hear a misfire or b) you trip a light then you (most likely) have the same issue. Very easy fix, less than 10 minutes at a ford dealership so the tech can upload the new program to your ECU. However depending on your tune the techs computer may no longer be able to write it to your ECU like in my case. So what I had to do was take my CAI off, put the car completely back to stock, take the tune off, have the tech write his program over to my ECU, and then take my car back to my tuner so he could see which file was altered and then copy the alteration into his tune. It was very time consuming but definitely worth it in the long run in my opinion. But I have talked to other people who run only bama tunes, and apparently bama offers a warranty (all though when I asked when I first got my bama tune I was told there was not). But the guy I talked to has several more bolt ons then I do and he hasn't had a single issue. Every car truly is different you just have to see what works with yours
Old 6/16/14, 11:21 AM

Guys I hate to sound dumb but here goes. I have a 2014 GT and I have installed a Steeda CAI and 93 tune. I have removed it several times and returned it to stock for dealer oil changes. However, this time I broke a small green plastic clip that holds one of the hoses from the manifold that goes into the CAI just under the PVC hose. I was able to plastic glue it this time but I want to buy a new one to replace it. Suggestions?
Old 6/16/14, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a pic of what you're referring to.
Old 6/18/14, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by onequickstang

After taking my car to Addiction Motorsports and having it professionally tuned I found out 2 things. One the AFR was indeed set wrong, and 2 there is a manufacturer defect in a percentage of a percentage of 5.0s that have an issue with the "neutral ignition profile", its a program in the ECU. Basically when we had it up on the dyno once we got to 5500 rpm we would get an engine light flash with a "random misfire detected" code (p0300 I believe) so after I took it back to work (I work at a ford dealer) I talked to the tech that handles the ECU stuff and he is the one who told me about the manufacturer defect. The easiest way to tell if your vehicle has it is to get in between 5500-6500 rpm and hold there for just a few seconds and if a) you hear a misfire or b) you trip a light then you (most likely) have the same issue. Very easy fix, less than 10 minutes at a ford dealership so the tech can upload the new program to your ECU. However depending on your tune the techs computer may no longer be able to write it to your ECU like in my case. So what I had to do was take my CAI off, put the car completely back to stock, take the tune off, have the tech write his program over to my ECU, and then take my car back to my tuner so he could see which file was altered and then copy the alteration into his tune. It was very time consuming but definitely worth it in the long run in my opinion. But I have talked to other people who run only bama tunes, and apparently bama offers a warranty (all though when I asked when I first got my bama tune I was told there was not). But the guy I talked to has several more bolt ons then I do and he hasn't had a single issue. Every car truly is different you just have to see what works with yours
Update on this defect: i took it to the dealership and they had to replace my PCM IT WAS MISFIRING AFTER 5000 rpm but now that it's been replaced its running like a dream
Old 6/18/14, 08:47 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tormz

Have you figured this out yet? Inquiring minds would like to know
Finally fixed! They had to replace my PCM
Old 6/18/14, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same issue before even thinking about a tune....a few months ago i bought the bama cai combo and have had nothing but good results.
with the 93 tune that car woke up. but now im used to the power and its got boring.next month its vortech....shooting for 600rwhp...going to steeda for the tuning and dyno work though.
Old 6/18/14, 11:00 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Glad it's resolved, congrats!
Old 6/19/14, 02:23 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shayner
i had the same issue before even thinking about a tune....a few months ago i bought the bama cai combo and have had nothing but good results.
with the 93 tune that car woke up. but now im used to the power and its got boring.next month its vortech....shooting for 600rwhp...going to steeda for the tuning and dyno work though.
That's great to hear and good luck! I have quite a few long term goals. For now my goal is to be up around 500-500 with a little nitrous shot. Long term I plan on getting her some twins with the cobra jet mani. Every car is different, I have friends that have everything tuned through bama and have had nothing but good results, but I also have friends who like myself have had nothing but poor results. My personal opinion is every motor is different and since they don't actually see your car/motor I feel that their tunes are too universal for my comfort. I go to Addiction Motorsports in Canoga, CA, he specializes in high horsepower fords.

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Glad it's resolved, congrats!
Thank you! Next step is to put my Hassan's axle backs and steeda intake back on, and hopefully nitrous by the end of the year if I can swing it financially!!