5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Some upgrades and tune questions for the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/12, 04:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some upgrades and tune questions for the 5.0

Im somewhat new to the modern cars and never really had to do a tune before, so I'm hoping i can get some advice and opinions here.

I noticed that people do an air intake upgrade and automatically do a tune, obviously intake alone will only give you about 3-4 HP so why the tune?

Im assuming intake does not void the warranty, but the tune would? can the tune be reversed to stock settings?

I personally wanted to do and intake and GT500 mufflers only, maybe an X pipe, but nothing more, i don't see why a car would need a tune, might free up additional 10HP tops, or would it it a tune with such a small gain of HP?

I'm starting to be a regular on this forum and hopefully ill learn up some things before the car arrives
Old 3/5/12, 05:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get an Airaid as this has an insert were you do not need a tune and pick up about 8rwhp. Most of the other CAI's require a tune as the MAF size is larger than stock. So more air needs a tune. With tune and CAI you can pick up 20-25rwhp.
Old 3/5/12, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

From what I have learned here over the last 18 months or so is you are rolling the dice with the warranty if you tune and install a CAI. There are many different opinions on that topic. I understand that, yes, the tune can be brought back to stock.

My opinion is, it just doesn't seem worth it. Risk vs reward.

Welcome to the SG club. Can't wait to see your new ride. I am looking for matte black rims for mine now, I just can't decide...
Old 3/5/12, 09:41 AM
GT Member

Here is the thing. Most buy the tune and the CAI at the same time. Most CAIs need a tune in order for you to take advantage of the extra flow. Also, there is absolutely no verified evidence that a CAI will enable you to run faster at the track. Now, there is plenty of dyno evidence of an increase in power with certain intakes, but that power often does not make it to the ground due to the nature of the Copperhead PCM. The computer knows when you are on a dyno, and when you are moving due to the fact that it detects your front wheels moving. There are some "work arounds," to get the CAI to produce results while moving, but many are not desirable for daily driving. I have been working with my tuner, Shaun from AED, to dial in a JLT intake. I was supposed to be at the track this Saturday, but we were rained out. We spent all weekend tuning and datalogging my car, and Shaun feels confident that the tune is now dialed in while the car is in motion. I will be at the track this Wednesday night doing back to back runs between the stock air box, and the JLT. For what it is worth, Shaun has gone 11 flat at close to 125 with the stock box.

In my opinion, the tune is worth more than the CAI. If you get a safe tune, and you are careful about selecting good gas regularly, you should be safe with a tune from a reliable tuner.

Mike