Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

So, what do you do when you need to go to the dealership with mods?

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/11, 03:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, what do you do when you need to go to the dealership with mods?

So when you get longtubes, or a CAI, and you need a tune to get it running properly...how do you go to the dealer? I mean, the car won't run/idle correctly when a stock tune is on with these mods, but you need to return it to stock tune when taking it in. If the car would run ok with a stock tune and longtubes/CAI, then why the hell get a tune anyways?

A CAI can be taken off easy, and then the stock tune reloaded, this I understand, but what about things not easily removed like longtubes, gears, or even a supercharger...what then?

Just trying to figure out a very expensive question. What do you with the aforementioned items do?
Old 3/21/11, 06:20 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I answered you on the other board Chris.....in a nut shell? Your screwed.
Old 3/21/11, 11:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
talk to a service advisor over the phone and just get him to be frank with you before coming in. I wouldn't offer up a whole lot of personal information until clear to do so.
Old 3/21/11, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remove everything!

Put it back to stock.
Old 3/21/11, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to be a azz but at the same time just nut up and live with your choices already.
Old 3/21/11, 07:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why are you going to the dealership?
Old 3/21/11, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GRABOID
Not to be a azz but at the same time just nut up and live with your choices already.
A child will live with their choices. An adult will research and understand the ramifications and consequences of said choices and weigh them against the positives prior to making a choice so there is nothing to "live with", thanks for playing.
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Why are you going to the dealership?
I'm not, but anytime a first year car is out there is always glitches and little things that have to be fixed. My '05 had a ton or problems and was no where near as powerful. I can only imagine what is gonna happen when and if the clutch or the new little engine tech start going bad.

I'm sure alot of people are looking for answers to these questions, and they can't find answers. I'm trying to provide answers so everyone can make better choices for their mods.
Old 3/21/11, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whenever I go in to my dealer I usually put everything back to stock including putting the plastic back on the seats and the window sticker back on the window. If I put the dealer plate frame back on they usually give me a nice hot cup of cocoa too.
Old 3/21/11, 09:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an 05 with 35,000 miles and have never taken my car to the dealership.
Old 3/22/11, 01:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Early on, I thought about some of your same concerns. Pretty much everyone should know that once you go down the path of modifying your ride... any ride... you are going to need a good and reputable performance shop that can service your ride from that point on.
Old 3/22/11, 07:20 AM

I wouldn't trust the area dealerships with a bicycle. If and when I break something I would be better off fixing it out of my own pocket at a speed shop where the techs know what they're doing.

That said, lemon laws vary state-to-state. In many cases if what you break has nothing to do with your mods, you are covered. For example, if you have a front suspension issue, it's fair to say it's not related to your CAI.

JMHO
Old 3/22/11, 07:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Pony Pete
I wouldn't trust the area dealerships with a bicycle. If and when I break something I would be better off fixing it out of my own pocket at a speed shop where the techs know what they're doing.

That said, lemon laws vary state-to-state. In many cases if what you break has nothing to do with your mods, you are covered. For example, if you have a front suspension issue, it's fair to say it's not related to your CAI.

JMHO
couldnt agree more......i would also call first and "feel" them out.
Old 3/22/11, 10:03 AM

I would take it to a performance shop, maybe you can let everyone know what the issue is.
Old 3/22/11, 10:30 AM
V6 Member

I'm surprised you all have had all these problems with the dealership. On my previous mustang (06 GT), I had several mods and the dealership never gave me issues when I went to get a problem fixed. Plus I don't see a reason to go all the way back to stock if you just have a CAI...that's silly. Those will not void a warranty, and if you have one that is tuned then simply connect you tuner in...and revert back to your saved stock tuned...to easy. If they try to say it was messed with all you have to say is that you were at autozone or where ever and they hooked up to your PCM to check a fault. Maybe I've just been lucky with good dealerships and service centers.
Old 3/22/11, 03:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

The only reason I'd go to a dealer for anything is for warranty work, and I typically don't do any modifications to the engine or otherwise that can't be easily reversed until it is out of warranty.
Old 3/22/11, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Quick something broke take all your mods off and hide them under your bed.

Look as it's been said before many many times if you have a dealer that dosen't like mods and you take a car in with mods they can "screw you"......or as some see it, not honor the warrenty you broke when modifying the car. Obviously if you want to avoid trouble do mods that are easy to hide from the evil people at the dealership.

DS not trying to give you hell and didn't mean to **** you off but the hole how do I hide my mods thing seems to be my new pet pev.

Last edited by GRABOID; 3/22/11 at 08:27 PM.
Old 3/24/11, 05:11 AM
GT Member

IMO Your best chance is the dealer you purchased from. Two important questions.... Is the car a Dailey driver? I wouldn't do much until warranty is up...axel back and non-tune CAI if your worried about it. Is the car a toy? Go all out. My daily driver is an F150 so if the 5.0 has a TSB or warranty issue I can take my chances on getting fixed at no charge or out of pocket. I just ordered a full suspension setup so I am screwed anyway.

IMO You could have your dealer install FRPP parts and you may not have any issues ever with warranty.

Call the service manager and ask about it.
Old 3/24/11, 10:07 PM
GT Member

I've had many modified cars and I have never experienced a dealer telling me I voided my warranty.

My question is what is the benefit to dealer for voiding your warranty? When they do warranty work on a car, they are rembersed by the manufacturer, in our case Ford, for the parts and labor. Why wouldn't they want to do that? If a car is out of warranty, I think most people would check a few repair shops for the best price for repairs anyway. My truck has 75K miles and I just had a bunch of maintenance items done to it and I didn't even check with the dealer for their price.
Old 3/24/11, 11:40 PM
Bullitt Member

The benefit to a dealer denying your warranty is that if the cost of repair is high enough Ford will send someone out to examine the vehicle. If they do the fixes and the Ford rep sees performance mods on it they can deny the dealer reimbursement for the repairs. That is why some dealers won't even touch a car with a CAI since common sense says there is a 90% chance of aftermarket tune as well.
Old 3/25/11, 02:44 PM
Cobra Member

I guess you just bite the bullet and be honest. MIGHT SUCK if you blow a motor or something. Likely if it wasn't the fault of the mod, they would claim so just for the savings. On the other hand maybe I'm being too cynical.

Quick Reply: So, what do you do when you need to go to the dealership with mods?