5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Which Short Throw Is Better

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/11, 02:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Short Throw Is Better

Steeda Tri-Ax or the Barton Short throw??

Please help me out on this if you have any of this shifters in your car..
Old 5/20/11, 02:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Need to know before the end of next month... Thanks

Last edited by ZackeryJc; 5/20/11 at 02:08 AM.
Old 5/20/11, 10:08 AM
Bullitt Member

There's really no way to say which is best, as a shifter is all about personal preference. Some people prefer the long, muscle-car like throws of the stock shifter, some people want it super quick and/or notchy.

The Steeda Tri-Ax provides a 20% reduction vs. 40% for the Barton, but that's not to say one or the other is better. They both work perfectly well, so it's up to you to decide how short of a throw you want.

No matter what, I highly recommend picking up a Barton bracket. Even with the stock shifter, it's life changing!
Old 5/20/11, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0

The Steeda Tri-Ax provides a 20% reduction vs. 40% for the Barton, but that's not to say one or the other is better. They both work perfectly well, so it's up to you to decide how short of a throw you want.
and both are a simple pivot assembly replacement. If you want a complete system, wait for the MGW which will incorporate a complete mount and base assembly in addition to the Pivot stuff at somewhere around a 20-24% reduction. The entire stock assembly is mounted in rubber bushings. The Barton bracket removes part of the rubberiness, but not all. The MGW will address it all and likely be the most precise solution out there.. Probably a month or so out according to their postings..
Old 5/20/11, 01:53 PM
GT Member

I used the Steeda shifter and Barton bushing, they both work great together. It would be nice to replace the linkage and that "box" the pivot side of the Tri-ax goes into. I am very interested in the MGW piece and if I can get just the under-car portion of it.
Old 5/21/11, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

+1 on the MGW. I'm waiting for user feedback from that before making my decision. While I'm not really disappointed with the stock shifter (actually far from it) I'm eager to hear what the MGW shifter brings to the table.

Both adam from Joe heck racing and the guys from MGW say that the throw from the factory shifter is quite good and shouldn't be shortened much more than what it already is due to possible synchro damage or something along those lines.

From that argument, I'd say the steeda would be a better choice but I think that ultimately, this MGW shifter is going to be the one to get. It's probably going to cost around twice what the steeda/barton cost but if it means a properly shifting transmission, I'm sure that it will be worth the extra cost.

my 2 cents.
Old 5/21/11, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
and both are a simple pivot assembly replacement. If you want a complete system, wait for the MGW which will incorporate a complete mount and base assembly in addition to the Pivot stuff at somewhere around a 20-24% reduction. The entire stock assembly is mounted in rubber bushings. The Barton bracket removes part of the rubberiness, but not all. The MGW will address it all and likely be the most precise solution out there.. Probably a month or so out according to their postings..
YES! Wait for the MGW kit! It will be a complete kit, not just a slap on shifter or bracket. George from MGW is almost done finalizing everything. MGW say's the kit will cost about $299.99

Last edited by fake; 5/21/11 at 10:47 AM.
Old 5/21/11, 10:54 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Modshack
How do you anticipate the MGW will be in terms of NVH? Better/worse/the same as stock or others? I've read some people who seem to feel the NVH has increased with some of the current aftermarket shifters.

Last edited by SD6; 5/21/11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 5/22/11, 07:30 AM
GT Member

I have had 3 mgws in 3 different Mustangs. They have all been top notch quality and George stands behind his product. if my 11 were a manual I would get the MGW as soon as it hit the market. Just my .02
Old 5/22/11, 04:03 PM
Cobra Member

I have the barton shifter and bracket. I absolutely love it. I have no first hand information concerning the steeda unit, but I've never had a Steeda part that wasn't first rate, so the assumption is that it would be a great piece as well....
Old 5/23/11, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Ima starting to lean toward the barton shifter now unless MGW comes out with there shifter within the next month

Last edited by ZackeryJc; 5/23/11 at 07:14 PM.
Old 5/24/11, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Zackery C
Steeda Tri-Ax or the Barton Short throw??

Please help me out on this if you have any of this shifters in your car..
I'm goin with MGW when it comes out
Old 5/24/11, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

Just installed my Barton and bracket and love it. A nice satisfying click into gear and super short throws. And no more missed 2-3 shifts
Old 5/24/11, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Just installed my Barton and bracket and love it. A nice satisfying click into gear and super short throws. And no more missed 2-3 shifts
Sweet!!! I'll be getting this one for shore if the MGW doesn't come out soon
Old 5/26/11, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't tried any of the others, but I can say I'm totally satisfied with my Steeda Tri-Ax.
Old 5/27/11, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Has anyone considered the new Hurst shifter that comes out next month?
Old 5/27/11, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kona Blur
Has anyone considered the new Hurst shifter that comes out next month?
Yea I seen that on an email I got and I love hurst shifters!!! That's an other choice now ima looking at lol
Old 5/27/11, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

For the 6 speed the mgw seems to be the best one. For the 5 speed the tri-ax is great but the mgw is top of the line. I have a tri-ax and couldn't be happier but I also have a t-45. The pro 5.0 is nice too for the 5 speed
Old 5/28/11, 10:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have the Steeda unit with the Barton brace and I'm good with it. I know that MGW has a reputation for being the best, but I can't speak on it because I have never seen or used one. Hurst is a good shifter and looks real good in the car.
Old 5/30/11, 01:12 PM
f91

Barton shifter and bracket. Almost impossible to miss shifts now. Precise and very a mechanical feel.

Quick Reply: Which Short Throw Is Better