5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

SCT and Bama tuning issues with inspection

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/14, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT and Bama tuning issues with inspection

I have a 2012 Mustang GT Premium and am having the most difficult time getting it inspected. I took it in to get inspected at the beginning of the month and the O2 sensors and O2 sensor heaters were "not ready". At the time I had no check engine lights. I must have done a dozen drive cycles exactly how ford lays it out but no success readying the sensors. I used my tuner to return the car to stock. Now, after driving about 100 miles the check engine light comes on. It reads DTC Code P1639: Vehicle ID block corrupted, not programmed. I contacted Bama and they said to tune back to stock. Well, it's already back to stock. I'm out of ideas. I just want to get it inspected and move on. The car drives great so it has to be just a tech issue. Anyone experienced this or have any advice?
Old 9/18/14, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, you just need to find the right tuner. Some have the ability to get around this issue but I won't name names on a public forum.

If you returned the car to stock and it still won't pass then you haven't completed the drive cycles yet which can be difficult on these cars. Your owners manual tells you how to do it.

Are you by chance catless? Because if you aren't there would have been no reason for Bama to turn off the o2's and COT.
Old 9/18/14, 03:11 PM

I have the SCT X3 tuner. It has the 3 custom Bama tunes loaded on it.

The ONLY after market mod on the car is the Roush Axle-back exhaust. Everything else on the exhaust is stock (so to answer your question, I DO have cats).

I've always had the car tuned to the "street" tune from Bama, which from my understanding will allow you to complete all readiness cycles and pass inspection. I replaced the battery about 2 months ago, and have driven it about 3,000 miles since. I have also gone through Ford's drive cycle several times so I don't understand why the O2 sensors wont ready.

I turned it back to stock 2 days ago, thinking that the street tune in fact did turn the O2 sensors off, even though it's not supposed to. Now I'm getting that check engine light I explained in my initial post.

Just spoke with a rep at Bama and he says I need to update the firmware on my device. I'm not sure how that could be the issue. If my car is back to stock, why would that be an issue? Hope this information helps and I appreciate your response GrabberBlue5.0. If you have any other suggestions please let me know!
Old 9/18/14, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

That code has me scratching my head. But updating the device isn't going to fix your problem.
Old 9/18/14, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
That code has me scratching my head. But updating the device isn't going to fix your problem.
That's what I thought. Idk what to do!!!
Old 9/18/14, 03:58 PM

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with a customer service rep at SCT. In our conversation, we came up with the conclusion that my stock tune may be corrupt. She suggested I do the following steps (in this order), until it's fixed.

1. Update firmware for my tuner to see if it fixes the corrupt file
2. Call SCT back to do a stock tune recovery for my tuner
3. Go to the Ford dealer to have the computer reflashed

I'm going to try step 1 tonight and see how it goes. I REALLLLLLY don't want to end up at step 3
Old 9/18/14, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, I think option 3 is going to be the winner here. The VID will have to be reset using IDS/VCM

I dont believe that the X3 has the ability to set the VID. If your close to Kansas City, I can do it for ya.

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 9/18/14, 05:30 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroaviation
Unfortunately, I think option 3 is going to be the winner here. The VID will have to be reset using IDS/VCM

I dont believe that the X3 has the ability to set the VID. If your close to Kansas City, I can do it for ya.

Cheers,
-Matt
What would have caused SCT to corrupt the factory tune when saving it as he first loaded the tune?
Old 9/18/14, 06:30 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You can request an emissions specific tune that will pass, so you could try that as well. I doubt updating the firmware on the X3 will fix your issue, but having old firmware could be what caused it.
Old 9/19/14, 07:30 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TXWesProjectX
I have a 2012 Mustang GT Premium and am having the most difficult time getting it inspected. I took it in to get inspected at the beginning of the month and the O2 sensors and O2 sensor heaters were "not ready". At the time I had no check engine lights. I must have done a dozen drive cycles exactly how ford lays it out but no success readying the sensors. I used my tuner to return the car to stock. Now, after driving about 100 miles the check engine light comes on. It reads DTC Code P1639: Vehicle ID block corrupted, not programmed. I contacted Bama and they said to tune back to stock. Well, it's already back to stock. I'm out of ideas. I just want to get it inspected and move on. The car drives great so it has to be just a tech issue. Anyone experienced this or have any advice?
Sorry to hear about the trouble there, I heard about this in passing yesterday and I've seen cases like that in the past where getting the firmware updated did make the issues subside as there's a break getting the tune loaded. I would recommend getting back with SCT to have them send you a stock recovery file before heading to the dealer! Let me know if there's anything I can help out with!

Alex
Old 9/19/14, 08:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
What would have caused SCT to corrupt the factory tune when saving it as he first loaded the tune?
Not sure, there are a lot of things could had happened. Poor hardware revision of the SCT tuner could also be possible. Like non length matched CAN controller -> Transceiver lines (common), or older Firmware.

SCT does have the ability to make changes to certain parts of the VID. Mostly centriq to Tire revs, speed source, axle stuff, N/V, etc..

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
But having old firmware could be what caused it.
This is very possible.

OP, what is your current firmware version? Shoot me a PM, maybe I can help you remotely.

Cheers,
-Matt

Last edited by zeroaviation; 9/19/14 at 08:59 AM.
Old 9/19/14, 01:43 PM

UPDATE:

Yesterday I was able to update the firmware from 1.2.154 to 1.2.159 (the car was set to stock while I did the update). Afterwards I plugged the updated tuner into the car and tried to revert to stock as the SCT employee told me. It just told me car is already stock. So I loaded one of my custom street tunes on it, it drove just fine. Then I loaded the stock back on, just fine. I haven't had a chance to drive it much (~30 miles) and no check engine lights have come on so far.

I guess I should just keep driving it and see if that same check engine light comes back on? And if it does, have SCT give me a new stock tune?

Last edited by TXWesProjectX; 9/19/14 at 02:10 PM.
Old 9/19/14, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you need a new strategy tune that has to come from the dealer. You would then need to tell Bama so they could give you a new tune going off the new strategy tune.
Old 9/19/14, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
If you need a new strategy tune that has to come from the dealer. You would then need to tell Bama so they could give you a new tune going off the new strategy tune.
I'm confused now. Couldn't SCT send me a new 2012 Mustang GT stock tune to replace the current one on my tuner that may or may not be corrupt? Isn't that what the Ford dealer would basically be doing if I take it to them to flash?