Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Roush Phase 1 + JLT Big Air.

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/13, 10:33 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush Phase 1 + JLT Big Air.

Well... I finally pulled the trigger on my SC upgrade. I ordered both items from American Muscle with the forum discount. I've already received the intake. Still waiting for tracking info on the SC, which I think comes directly from Roush.

I have a date of 12/17 to have everything installed and dyno tuned at a local shop (Realspeed Automotive). The owner (Dan Carlson) does all of the dyno tuning and will be fresh off an advanced tuning class.

Since I was committed to a dyno tune, I decided to go with the Phase 1 + JLT Big Air. It's actually cheaper (go figure), and I like the intake better.

I'll report back once it's all done.

- Mike
Old 11/21/13, 10:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you can get another $5 off if u upload ur pic when installation is complete in AM site. congrats on the purchase.
Old 11/21/13, 03:09 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Killer. I am looking at the JLT Big Air cai and I would like to upgrade to phase 2 someday. Maybe,.........I still badly want a Shelby.
Expect to see great gains with that JLT cai and a good tune. Let us know how you made out!
Old 11/21/13, 04:03 PM
V6 Member

Update...

I came home and found three Roush boxes waiting for me at my door!

So now I need to see if I can execute Plan B, which is to call the shop tomorrow to see if they can get me in ASAP to install the base kit and Roush calibration. Then, I'll go back after he gets back from his class for the intake and dyno tune.

Ideally, I want to see if they can throw it on the dyno as-is (Steeda CAI & tune) to get a baseline, then again with the Roush calibration, and finally with the intake and dyno tune.

Stay "tuned"...
Old 11/21/13, 04:13 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Awesome man.
Good luck!
Old 11/22/13, 02:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeR
Update...

I came home and found three Roush boxes waiting for me at my door!

So now I need to see if I can execute Plan B, which is to call the shop tomorrow to see if they can get me in ASAP to install the base kit and Roush calibration. Then, I'll go back after he gets back from his class for the intake and dyno tune.

Ideally, I want to see if they can throw it on the dyno as-is (Steeda CAI & tune) to get a baseline, then again with the Roush calibration, and finally with the intake and dyno tune.

Stay "tuned"...
Welcome to the SC world, you're going to love it!
I thought it was crazy that Roush ships these expensive boxes with no notification. My three boxes showed up unexpectedly as well.
I forget what my dyno was on the bone stock but I believe it was something like 377 / ??.
With the phase II Roush (same as what you're getting only you're getting a aftermarket CAI) and the Roush calibration I got 526 / 426.
I'm now at 570 / 474 with the Brenspeed mail order tune.
Old 11/22/13, 05:58 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by GT50GO
I thought it was crazy that Roush ships these expensive boxes with no notification. My three boxes showed up unexpectedly as well.
I forget what my dyno was on the bone stock but I believe it was something like 377 / ??.
With the phase II Roush (same as what you're getting only you're getting a aftermarket CAI) and the Roush calibration I got 526 / 426.
Yeah, I think AM and Roush need a system for getting the tracking info to the customer. I even e-mailed AM, but never heard back.

Good to know. 570 is the ballpark I hope to be in, which is why I'm not also getting a smaller pulley (aka Phase 3). However, my shop has a Mustang dyno, which will probably give me a lower number than a Dynojet.

My car is a daily driver that already has 37k mi on the odo in about 2.5 years and I hope to keep my car for quite a few more. If you assume that 600whp is the "safe" maximum, then 570 would give me an extra 5% safety margin, which works for me. Plus, I don't plan on beating the snot out of it 24/7.

Last edited by MikeR; 11/22/13 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11/22/13, 09:12 AM
V6 Member

Yeah, I think AM and Roush need a system for getting the tracking info to the customer. I even e-mailed AM, but never heard back.
Oddly enough, I just got what looks like an automated e-mail from AM with my tracking info. Of course, it says the packages were delivered yesterday at 3:39 PM.

They definitely need a better system, especially for a $6,000 item!
Old 11/22/13, 09:51 AM
V6 Member

Unfortunately for me, the shop is booked pretty solid, so I'm just going to have to sit tight until the 17th. Oh well... it's actually good to know that the shop is busy, even in the off season, as opposed to sitting around waiting for work.
Old 11/22/13, 03:07 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by GT50GO
Nasty man. Great numbers.

Good to know. 570 is the ballpark I hope to be in, which is why I'm not also getting a smaller pulley (aka Phase 3). However, my shop has a Mustang dyno, which will probably give me a lower number than a Dynojet.
My car is a daily driver that already has 37k mi on the odo in about 2.5 years and I hope to keep my car for quite a few more. If you assume that 600whp is the "safe" maximum, then 570 would give me an extra 5% safety margin, which works for me. Plus, I don't plan on beating the snot out of it 24/7.
You're going to be smiling everyday. Enjoy.
Old 11/23/13, 07:01 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Yet another newcomer to the very "dark" side. I love it.

Congrats. Post pics of the boxes etc why am I the only one who posted everything!!! Hahahaha
Old 11/23/13, 07:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to updates on your build, I highly considered the Roush blower before deciding on the Whipple.
Can't wait to see where you'll end up.
Are you staying with the stock cat converters and exhaust manifolds?
Old 11/23/13, 10:26 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
Congrats! Looking forward to updates on your build, I highly considered the Roush blower before deciding on the Whipple.
Can't wait to see where you'll end up.
Are you staying with the stock cat converters and exhaust manifolds?
I think I'll be leaving my exhaust as-is. One "good" thing about the 600whp "safe limit" on the stock Coyote is that it has effectively put a limit on my power upgrades. I think this upgrade will get me to where I want to be. Worst case, I go with a smaller pulley and perhaps a BAP somewhere down the line, but I doubt I'll need it.

I'm guessing my next upgrade will be a new clutch.
Old 11/23/13, 10:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Yet another newcomer to the very "dark" side. I love it.
Yeah, I've been jonesing for it for quite a while. I almost pulled the trigger this spring, but decided to wait until my 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty ran out, even though my intake and tune probably already flushed that down the toilet. Plus, I was still trying to decide exactly what to get.

BTW, my final warranty issue is one that would have killed you... the infamous paint bubbling along the front edge of the hood. Ford sent it out to have the whole hood repainted.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Congrats. Post pics of the boxes etc why am I the only one who posted everything!!! Hahahaha
The boxes??? Speaking of which... I'm not sure I'll be able to get it all into my car, even if I put some of it inside with me. I might have to have my buddy come down with his truck before he follows me over to the shop.
Old 11/23/13, 10:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The boxes??? Speaking of which... I'm not sure I'll be able to get it all into my car, even if I put some of it inside with me. I might have to have my buddy come down with his truck before he follows me over to the shop.
I unpacked all three boxes and everything fit fine with the backseat down, there's no way you'll fit the boxes into the Mustang.
Old 11/23/13, 11:27 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Yeah, I've been jonesing for it for quite a while. I almost pulled the trigger this spring, but decided to wait until my 3/36 bumper-to-bumper warranty ran out, even though my intake and tune probably already flushed that down the toilet. Plus, I was still trying to decide exactly what to get. BTW, my final warranty issue is one that would have killed you... the infamous paint bubbling along the front edge of the hood. Ford sent it out to have the whole hood repainted. The boxes??? Speaking of which... I'm not sure I'll be able to get it all into my car, even if I put some of it inside with me. I might have to have my buddy come down with his truck before he follows me over to the shop.
Paint bubbling??? I'm surprised those still occur, more so on a mustang. But yes, that would've made me cringe. Did you get it fixed?

As for the boxes comment, I meant if it was delivered to your door via FedEx etc. I was just reliving my excitement of package arrival through you lol
Old 12/1/13, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's awesome man!! hopefully I will be able to get my SC early next year
Old 12/2/13, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats your going to love it , i got a phase 1 kit myself but i added a BAP and 80mm pulley now with stock airbox and just had it dynoed yesterday at a local speed shop and it made 617whp and 544tq
Old 12/3/13, 05:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Burke985
Congrats your going to love it , i got a phase 1 kit myself but i added a BAP and 80mm pulley now with stock airbox and just had it dynoed yesterday at a local speed shop and it made 617whp and 544tq
Great numbers...what type of dyno? Dyno jet, mustang, etc?
Old 12/3/13, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 14rs3roush
Great numbers...what type of dyno? Dyno jet, mustang, etc?
It was a Dynojet, I gained 25 rwhp and 19 tq with the pulley swap

Quick Reply: Roush Phase 1 + JLT Big Air.