Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Roush open lower grille & AFCO or VMP heat exchanger

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/14, 02:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Roush open lower grille & AFCO or VMP heat exchanger

Does anybody know if the Roush lower grille fits OK with an AFCO or the new VMP triple-pass heat exchanger behind it?

I really want an upgraded heat exchanger and I already have the Roush grille (just not installed yet, although I've already cut up the lower opening)

But those bigger (thicker) heat exchangers seem to mount right up against the back of the bumper support, right where a bracket mounts for the coolant pump, same bracket also being used for the Roush open lower grille

Any input?
Old 8/7/14, 07:15 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a Vortech V3 with the intercooler that is VERY large and it fits up against the bumper. So much in fact that there was not enough room for the bolts that hold the top of the two braces. In lieu of bolting them, or doing without them (which you could) I instead welded the two tops. I did it enough to secure them, but could remove them if need be. The are secure and still provide enough room to clear the intercooler.
Old 8/7/14, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should not have any issues, I have the v3 inner cooler..with the open lower roush.
lots of room.
even with the laguna splitter there room to spare down bellow.
Old 8/9/14, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Sorry didn't see this earlier, but I'm running the same set up with no issues. Only thing you
can't use are the bar supports
Old 8/9/14, 03:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
Sorry didn't see this earlier, but I'm running the same set up with no issues. Only thing you
can't use are the bar supports
I posted on Facebook in a Mustang group and a few guys, including a couple VMP guys (one being Justin himself), basically said the same thing: run the bigger heat exchanger with the Roush grille but without the metal brackets.

The plastic Roush piece screws into the lower part of the bumper anyway ... I really don't see the need for those metal brackets, other than to try to justify the $300 price of the darn thing