Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Roush Axle Backs - Installed - Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/11, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush Axle Backs - Installed - Thoughts

Installed the Roush Axle backs today and then went for a drive. Here are some thoughts...

Install...
- Overall not too bad. Pretty much the same as other exhaust installs (lots of back breaking/fiddling with rubber hangers, etc)
- Fitment was good, they went right into the hangers and were basically symmetrical in the fascia right out of the gate.
- The mid pipe and exhaust pipe are flanged and held together with a clamp, on my 2011 GT, one side the mid pipe and exhaust pipe were fused together. It was a lot of banging and WD40 to get them apart. This made the job much much worse. Hopefully this isnt the case for others with a 2011.

Sound
- Oh man, oh so good. The improvement is most noticeable between 1500 and 3000 RPM. Its very rough and gritty, so nice. After 4000 RPM its basically the same as stock only just a bit louder.
- There is very very mild drone when cruising. I would say exactly the same amount as the stock exhaust.

So far, I'm very happy with this purchase. Price is right, and the sound improvement is great. I was very close to getting SLP Loudmouths (which are basically straight pipes) but I think they would've been just a bit too loud for my neighborhood. I'm glad I went with the Roush instead.
Old 3/26/11, 05:21 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you like them! My experience was exactly like yours, from the install notes to the sound. Only difference is that I first thought it was too loud; my ears took a few weeks to adjust to the sound. But wow oh wow now I don't know how I could ever go back to stock!
Old 3/26/11, 07:17 PM
V6 Member

I freaking love my Roush Axelbacks...they sound amazing! great to hear that other concur...
Old 3/26/11, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Another happy customer here too.
Old 3/27/11, 09:56 AM
Bullitt Member

-Did mine yesterday. I decided to try the install without loosening the mid pipe, it just didn't seem practical with the rear end on jack stands. I used an extra jack stand to prop up the mid pipe in certain positions. That enabled me to get the drivers side muffler out, and helped fitting the Roush muffler on. When all was said and done, I used a soap and water mix to spray on the pipe connections to make sure there were no leaks.
-Also, I noticed looking throught the Roush muffler that it is virtually as straight through as the SLP. Stick a flashlight in there, you'll see for yourself. I am just glad I won't have to remove the resonators, I was debating doing that, but it is obvious it is loud enough for that not to be necessary.
-I also had to take the two bolts down from the panhard bar, which sits just forward of the drivers side muffler. It stops you from being able to remove the drivers side muffler from the hangars. Had to do it on mine.

Other that that, I couldn't be happier with it. Thanks to all of you who provided the input I needed to make the leap!
Old 3/27/11, 11:16 AM
GT Member

Love the comments. Just ordered mine.
Old 3/27/11, 01:32 PM

Same here didn't remove or loosen the midpipe. Easy install. Sounds amazing just drove it 100 miles love it.
Old 3/29/11, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CandyRed2011
Same here didn't remove or loosen the midpipe. Easy install. Sounds amazing just drove it 100 miles love it.
I didn't remove mine but I definitely loosened it. At least for me it made things easier.
Old 3/30/11, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I love mine. I have never driven the car with the OEM's on as I had my Roush's installed at the dealer before I picked it up so nothing to compare to until 2 days ago. The sound and tone is great and not loud if you control the right foot.

2 days ago out walking a '11 GT at the lights decided to show a Mazda what for, all I can say is the stock exhaust sound was like my fathers saloon car. Had I not seen the stang, I would never have realized there even was one!!
Old 4/1/11, 03:46 PM
GT Member

I LOVED these till I took the cats off and added an O/R X. I will be posting mine up for sale in a couple of days or trade for GT500 mufflers. With the stock midpipe the Roushs kill the GT500 though.
Old 4/1/11, 04:03 PM

Firestang70......pm sent.
Old 9/25/11, 07:56 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back, but new owner here, contemplating my first exhaust. I'm leaning towards these or the Borla S-types. These might be a better bang for the buck. Any issues with drone at all? How would you guys compare them to the S-types? And lastly, where do you recommend to buy the Roush axle backs for cheap?
Old 9/25/11, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Sorry to bring this thread back, but new owner here, contemplating my first exhaust. I'm leaning towards these or the Borla S-types. These might be a better bang for the buck. Any issues with drone at all? How would you guys compare them to the S-types? And lastly, where do you recommend to buy the Roush axle backs for cheap?
I've never had the S-types on my car, but I imagine they sound good (all of the Borla exhausts do). I went with the Roush because you can get some really amazing sound for much less money than the Borla.

I typically buy most of my stuff from AmericanMuscle.com they are great guys over there. And if you post on some of their supported forums you can get codes for 5-15% off by IM'ing their posters.

And no drone at all. I love every minute of this exhaust.
Old 9/25/11, 11:18 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5dx__NXyE

Both with O/R X. Huge difference in volume. In any case, the guy now has the FM Outlaw and says it puts those two to shame in volume and sound
Old 9/25/11, 12:47 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
love the roush axlebacks I have also. No drone. They sound amazing from 1500 rpm on. The install took 20 mins with me and two other guys.

quick guide.

loosen the clamps. unbolt the hangs and drop down the muffler with the hangers. remove the hangers and install new mufflers and reinstall. hold the muffler tip where you want it and tighten clamps.
Old 9/25/11, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love them and no drone at all. I was about to change mine this week to something a little quieter, then I snapped back into reality..

For Price, American Muscle usually has a good deal, I believe $370 shipped. AM's shipping is super fast too! I got mine from Stage3 when AM was out of stock last spring. They were $380 I believe.

Last edited by Hytek; 9/25/11 at 12:54 PM.
Old 9/26/11, 12:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Love mine.
Old 9/26/11, 01:21 PM
V6 Member

The Roushes are far louder than what you hear on youtube vids. They sound good up until about 3-4k RPMs. After that, they are extremely loud.

Unless you are really looking for something that's very loud, I would suggest getting something a bit more subdued.
Old 9/26/11, 01:33 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
to be honest they are not that loud. We turned my car on and gave it some gas while the mufflers were off.. now thats LOUD. I have also heard catless setups with long tubes and that is loud.

you might be getting old

Last edited by Flagstang; 9/26/11 at 02:38 PM.
Old 9/26/11, 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
to be honest they are not that loud. We turned my car only and gave it some gas while the mufflers were off.. now thats LOUD. I have also heard catless setups with long tubes and that is loud.

you might be getting old
Lol

I must agree they don't seem "that loud" to the point were they are obnoxiously loud.

Quick Reply: Roush Axle Backs - Installed - Thoughts