Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Roush Axle back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/12, 10:43 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Roush Axle back exhaust

So, I (finally!) got around to installing my Roush Axle-back exhaust. Pretty easy to do. First thing I noticed was the different in the weight of the stock mufflers vs the Roush. Hardest part was getting to the bracket above the stock mufflers, but once I got them off everything else was cake-work.

Holy shiat what a sound! I love the roar when accelerating, and the sound when throttling back.

I feel like the exhaust has turned by awesome Coyote 'vert into a f-ing badass mother Coyote 'vert. Was at a light today waiting to make a left and the guy in the middle lane did not go(straight) when the light turned green. When I turned to look at him, I realized he was staring at the car and waiting for me to make the turn so he could watch me drive away! He even rolled down the window as I began the turn...pretty sweet.

I thought this car was awesome stock, but the roar of these Roush axle-backs made it even better. Hmm...what to do next...
Old 10/14/12, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by The Dude
Hmm...what to do next...
Sound Tube Delete

Redline Hood Struts

MGW Shifter

Aluminum Driveshaft

After you get those done, I've got more for ya...
Old 10/14/12, 03:58 PM
V6 Member

I was looking at the MGW shifter...it's pretty expensive. Could you maye explain the different feel of it from the stock shifter? I already have the 401a package with the billit shifter.
Old 10/14/12, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

The stock shifter is a wet noodle, designed for 95% of V6 and V8 Mustangs that will never see the track or sustained WOT shifting. For what it does, and what it costs as an OEM piece, it does the job. For those enthusiasts who wish to get something better, that's worth the money and effort, the MGW is it.

Go ahead and google up 'mgw mustang' and see what opinions you find online. There are other brands that offer brackets and such, which also have lots of happy owners. I checked out the videos on the MGW web site and thought that it looked like a bullet proof shifter.

After missing some shifts with the OEM shifter, I decided to order one of these and have been extremely happy with the performance. There is a *lot* more mechanical resistance and feedback from this upgraded unit, so if you prefer the OEM slippery feel and light touch, then the MGW isn't what you are looking for. It feels like a the action of high quality rifle bolt.

There is just this feeling of confidence when rowing through the gears with an MGW in a Mustang 5.0. I can contrast my shifter in my '13 Boss to my wife's '11 GT side by side. She likes hers, I like mine, and that's why you can get chocolate or vanilla. There's not 'one size fits all' for shifters in a Mustang, and you owe it to yourself to find out if you are more a chocolate guy than vanilla.

There is no right or wrong answer here, it's just personal preference.
Old 10/15/12, 03:32 AM
V6 Member

Ace, that is a great response thanks. What I get out of it is this: If I want something that will change the driving experience then I should get it, but if I want to be a pansy then I should leave it where it is....all clouded on the guise that it's up to personal preference.

I have done some research already on the shifter, and was hoping to hear some more first hand accounts.

Guess I know what I am getting myself for christmas.
Old 10/15/12, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

Heh, what can I say, I gave you the straight dope. It's way beefier and provides more that twice the tactile feedback from stock. You can find lots of happy owners on the BMO forums;

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...talled-by-mgw/

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...appy-customer/

http://bossmustangsonline.com/boss-3...-shifter-2824/

Some people might take the plunge on this going only by word of mouth an not realizing what dramatic increase in feedback and engagement you will get. Now you know.
Old 10/15/12, 10:21 AM
V6 Member

Yeah I do now. Every single review of this thing basically says it's the best thing since sliced bread. Why doesn't everyone have this?

Thanks again...this is something I will def put an order in for come December.
Old 10/15/12, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Watch the vids on their web site, I wish everything in my Mustang was made as well as this piece. You gonna pay for install or do it yourself?
Old 10/15/12, 03:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Everytime I read one of these exhaust threads it makes me want to order a set. Must...resist...temptation!
Old 10/15/12, 04:29 PM
V6 Member

I consider myself pretty good with a wrench, so I'll do the install myself. Already picked up a couple good tips from the links you posted.

GRN 50H...you should give in a do it!
Old 10/15/12, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Do the MGW...you won't regret it!
Old 10/15/12, 06:42 PM
Cobra Member

You must have seen this thread already...

https://themustangsource.com/f813/mgw-shifter-514598/
Old 10/16/12, 10:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Mgw ftw. I am another one of those singing their praises. Mgw and exhaust, single best mods on my car, hands down. Ace explained it word for word above, I 2nd and 3rd those comments

P.s. post vids of your roush.
Old 10/17/12, 04:19 AM
V6 Member

Ace, yeah I saw that thread thanks. Some good noted there.

I am definitely getting the MGW, I'm moving in November so I'm gonna get my order in December. Gives me a good winter mod to look forward to.

I'll try to post a video of the Roush axle-back, but my skills at this are pretty horrible. I can only take video from my 2009 camera and the iPhone, but I'll see how they sound this weekend and try to post something.
Old 10/17/12, 07:29 AM
I Have No Life

Keep in mind the wait time for the mgw. Order accordingly.
Old 10/17/12, 10:26 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must be in the minority. I drove one with the MGW, and while it was nice, I much rather prefer the Steeda shifter with the bushing. I know the throw is longer, but I feel it's a more responsive shifter than the MGW.
Old 10/17/12, 05:59 PM
V6 Member

So yeah...I was looking at the aluminum driveshaft and I need that too.

This is my first Mustang or performance car (had a 2006 MX-5) and didn't realize that the OEM driveshaft was two pieces.

This is gonna get expensive!
Old 10/17/12, 06:37 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Overboost
I must be in the minority. I drove one with the MGW, and while it was nice, I much rather prefer the Steeda shifter with the bushing. I know the throw is longer, but I feel it's a more responsive shifter than the MGW.
Interesting. I just drove my buddys stock 2013... Man I forgot how sloppy and long that throw is after driving my MGW.

But now you have me curious about steeda.
Old 10/17/12, 06:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's worth a comparison between the two to see what fits your driving style. I think the MGW might be trickier to get into gear driving hard. The Steeda doesn't seem to have that problem.
Old 10/17/12, 06:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I think it's worth a comparison between the two to see what fits your driving style. I think the MGW might be trickier to get into gear driving hard. The Steeda doesn't seem to have that problem.
You make a good point, but it's a tough thing for me to make a good judgement without driving the same car with each shifter. Everything I have read on the MGW had been over the top...gonna have to do some more research.

Quick Reply: Roush Axle back exhaust